Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lebron "king" james.

Options
  • 22-05-2009 6:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I don't know about the rest of you guys but this guy to me is the real deal! He could arguably be better than Jordan was . I just think he is at the wrong team, but Cleveland are hardly ever going to let him go . He is there franchise player!
    comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Im sorry he is just yet another pretender to the throne just like Kobe before them yes at the moment he is putting up good number but as was shown against the magic in game one, he is incapable of doing what Jordan did before him.

Yes jordan put up great numbers in every stat but what made him so great is he took a bulls team that was a waste of space and improved everything to do with it, he made players better he inspired these bums he played with and turned them into ledgends.

The bulls were nobodies before jordan and are nobodies yet again.

So please come back to me when Lebron " The Court Jester " James can win a championship AT WILL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The bulls were not nobodys, Pippen was amazing, incredible defender and perfect partner for Jordan. Rodman was an allstar defender and one of the best ever rebounders. Kerr and Paxson were very good from 3pt land especially with the open looks they got when opposition teams doubled Jordan or helped on Pippen. Ron harper, Luke Longley, and the rest of the players while they may not have been stars were solid.

Most importantly the coaching of PJackson and the willingness of the role players to play as a team in support of Jordan meant they were a dominating team. They say defence wins championships, the Bulls were among the best ever, and MJ couldn't guard 5 players on his own now could he?

LeBron is probably the closest to Jordan in terms of physical skills. For Jordans size he was incredibly quick and strong, the same goes for LBJ. What brought MJ to be the greatest ever was his mental strength. He just refused to let others decide the outcome of games.

LBJ has yet to show this killer instinct, but he's only 25 or something at this stage of his career. Plenty of time yet.

lafortezza wrote: »
    The bulls were not nobodys, Pippen was amazing, incredible defender and perfect partner for Jordan. Rodman was an allstar defender and one of the best ever rebounders. Kerr and Paxson were very good from 3pt land especially with the open looks they got when opposition teams doubled Jordan or helped on Pippen. Ron harper, Luke Longley, and the rest of the players while they may not have been stars were solid.

Most importantly the coaching of PJackson and the willingness of the role players to play as a team in support of Jordan meant they were a dominating team. They say defence wins championships, the Bulls were among the best ever, and MJ couldn't guard 5 players on his own now could he?

LeBron is probably the closest to Jordan in terms of physical skills. For Jordans size he was incredibly quick and strong, the same goes for LBJ. What brought MJ to be the greatest ever was his mental strength. He just refused to let others decide the outcome of games.

LBJ has yet to show this killer instinct, but he's only 25 or something at this stage of his career. Plenty of time yet.

Pre-jordan did you even know who Pippen was???? Did you hear about him while he was in college??? No cos no one did!! He didnt even get recruited by a college team he was working as the team manger till i think his second year in colege and remeber pippen joined the league 3 years after jordan so the bulls had nothing pre jordan.

Rodman who had already 2 rings with the Pistons came in years after Jordan started winning rings with nobody around him he made players like Pippen a nobody from Central Arkansas into a player.

If all these players were so good, if this bulls team was so great that was built around him how many rings did they win in the years he was not playing? Cos of Retirement?

Jordan Done what none of these pretenders to the throne have done and i doubt will ever do win multiple rings with no bodies around him.

Yes The Jester James is the closest since Kobe but even shaq called kobe out on this and said he would never be dominant in the playoffs without him and im sorry shaq has been right so far.

Labron i hope can become good enough to maybe win 2 or 3 rings in his career but that would im sorry only raise him to the level of historic player but he would still be on a level below, Magic, below Bird, below Wilt, below Kareem and not even close to how much Jordan has achieved.

Jordan was, is and always will be in a class of his own cos he could make any team Win At Will!!!

The only mistake he made was the reinvention of "Air" Jordan as "floor" Jordan when he tried to save his investment by coming out of retirement to play for the wizzards. But even then he managed to turn a few nobodies into players ....Rip Hamilton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Steve Kerr? Toni Kukoc? Ron Harper?

Seriously, stop spouting crap.

He's not better then Jordan, yet. He could be though, just not yet.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Steve Kerr? Toni Kukoc? Ron Harper?

Seriously, stop spouting crap.

He's not better then Jordan, yet. He could be though, just not yet.

Nice someone at last that actually might have seen these guys play and wasnt born in th 90's, Cheers K.

I agree he may become good in the future but even with the extra years he will have played because he didnt do college or cos nobody killed his dad, im sure he wont achieve as much as jordan has!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Xrox wrote: »
    I agree he may become good in the future
    So you don't think he's good now? Is he in the top 3, top 10?

If MJ could win titles "at will" why did it take him 6 years with the Bulls to win his first one? Even when he retired the Bulls won 55 games in the regular season, led by Pippen, and then only lost in 7 games vs the Knicks. See how well the Lakers would do if you removed Kobe for a season, or Dirk from the Mavs, or Wade from the Heat. Do you think any of those teams would make the playoffs? So obviously Jordan had a great supporting cast. Jordan is in the HOF, Pippen and possibly Rodman will make the Hall of Fame.
    He also had the greatest coach basketball has ever seen calling plays and getting the Bulls to play as a well oiled machine.

Similarly when Kobe won his 3 rings he did it playing alongside Shaq, LeBron has Ilgauskas, see the disparity?
    LeBron has no stars to help him out on his team. Mo Williams is a shooter who has trouble creating his own shot, he can't take over a game, the same goes for West, Ilgauskas, and the rest of the Cavs. The Cavs don't get a sniff of the playoffs without James, showing how dominant and valuable he is.

This page calculate all game stats to show who is most valuable in terms of getting their teams a win. Who is on top?
    Check out the statistics for this years playoffs. LeBron is miles above everyone else, as a result the Cavs have swept the Pistons and Atlanta.

Nobody is denying that MJ was the greatest ever, but LeBron is the closest yet to achieving the same level of dominance.
    Your posts reek of an ignorance about what makes a good basketball player great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

There will never be another MJ people.. Basketball is a team sport and as you have all agreed MJ made the bulls a better team. Dont forget that jordan has 6 rings, 1 ncaa championship, Numerous defensive player and mvp titles. Lebron has alot of catching up to do.. But i do love LBJ he is well on his way to maybe becoming one of the top ten to ever play in the nba or even the second best. But there will ever only be one Michael "AIR" Jordan.

Dont forget players like:
    Magic
    Larry
    Isiah
    Dr. J
    Wilt
    Kareem
    George Mikan
    Bob Cousy
    Bill Russell
    Jerry West
    Willis Reed
    Pete Maravich
    Earl Monroe
    Barkley

etc, etc, etc..

PS

I like the nickname "king" for lebron as there have been many kings of the nba before him and there will be many more like him..
    But come on now Mike Vs Lebron is a no brainer.. Just like Mike Vs all the other "kings"

Like Mike.. If I could be like Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

You could argue that the Bulls would have 8 straight if Jordan doesn't retire for Baseball.

In Jordans defense he didnt retire cos of baseball he only played it as his father loved it and was tragically murdered so it was a tribute to him to try and suceed at it.

Yes the wizards move was a bad end to the best career in the NBA ever but he is a keen business man and he knew it would bolster that franchise, and make him a mint.

As for Pippen's bulls losing in 7 games to the knick come on man do you not remember your talking about the knicks as has been team that jordan used to love to toy with.

Lebron is good but as like kobe before him in another 5 to 10 years therell be some fella who has forgotten all before him who will be touting someone as the next Jordan the next greatest the second coming. They wont be saying he is the next kobe or next lebron as im sorry they will fall into the nba great section yes but not reach the heights of a god like jordan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lebron james

Lebron is good but as like kobe before him in another 5 to 10 years therell be some fella who has forgotten all before him who will be touting someone as the next Jordan the next greatest the second coming. They wont be saying he is the next kobe or next lebron as im sorry they will fall into the nba great section yes but not reach the heights of a god like jordan.

I agree with the Kobe comment but lebron is only 24 and is only getting better and better! I loved Jordan too and i think his crown will be hard to take but if any one can lebron can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

LBJ is only 24 and surely is way off his peak yet.Also isnt it really hard to compare players from different eras.Cant say the Cavs are better than the bulls of Jordan.
    So what that Pippen wasnt highly rated(although thats debatable as he was drafted 5th in the first round).Neither was Tom Brady.Pippen is the all time bull for 3 points and ranks second in 12 other catergories.LBJ doesnt have teammates at that level.

What about the argument that Jordan isnt even the greatest and its Chamberlin?

Impossible to ever find any kind of consensus.

On the wilt point if you ask him and he has been asked who is the greatest player ever even he himself with his massive ego say one name and one name only Jordan! The man who got Player of the Century ..... Jordan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jordan & Pippen were like Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor - while the did ok as solo acts, when they worked together magic would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jeebus I missed this today.

MJ is still the greatest, I started a thread a couple of months where I said that I personally think that LeBron could challenge him for that crown in time. He is on track to do it at his young age.

For me Kobe doesn't rate close to Jordan. The closest is Bird imo and he is a long way off the greatest to ever play the game.

The Cavs as a team without LBJ are not close to the Bulls without Jordan. Players like Pippen who was a class act in his own right and then for the last couple of years Denis Rodman are far ahead of anything that the Cavs have. I'm fully in agreement with Lafortezza here and its yet to be decided but if James gets a team remotely close to that of the great Bulls then he will do serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Discussed this a while back and I was of the opinion that MJ is the best ever and will remain so.
    It is too hard to compare players as there are too many variables to consider. One thing we can do when both careers are over is compare achievements, even then it can be hard to get everyone to agree.
    Its all about opinions and people will always have different ones.

I think we should not try and compare them too much and just try and appreciate them for the great players they are. I think people should not judge everything LeBron does and compare it to Jordan, just accept him as a phenomenal talent and exceptional player that will go down as one of the greatest.
    The media do a great job at hyping it up and comparing LeBron, Kobe to Jordan, it is only natural to do so in some respects but we should just try and accept them for their great talents in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Im sorry he is just yet another pretender to the throne just like Kobe before them yes at the moment he is putting up good number but as was shown against the magic in game one, he is incapable of doing what Jordan did before him.
    I would hazard a guess that you didn't see that Bulls team and only know what you've read and theres a lot of stuff about Jordan and most of it overdoes how great the man was, and he was the best that ever played the game by some way. To say that he won those championships on his own is ridiculous. Anyways enough of that for now, just one thing though, you do know that Jordan faced Larry Bird one night and scored 63 points I think it was and still lost to that great Celtics team.

Anyways for now just stick this one in your pipe and smoke it. As Jordanesque as it gets, LeBron reminds me so much of the great man and he is still only 24 years old. Oh and by the way Jordan was 28 when he won his first NBA championsip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

eagle eye wrote: »
    As Jordanesque as it gets, LeBron reminds me so much of the great man and he is still only 24 years old. Oh and by the way Jordan was 28 when he won his first NBA championsip

Dam i was going to make this point! Lebron is going to do all that Jordan did and more!

eagle eye wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that you didn't see that Bulls team and only know what you've read and theres a lot of stuff about Jordan and most of it overdoes how great the man was, and he was the best that ever played the game by some way. To say that he won those championships on his own is ridiculous. Anyways enough of that for now, just one thing though, you do know that Jordan faced Larry Bird one night and scored 63 points I think it was and still lost to that great Celtics team.

Anyways for now just stick this one in your pipe and smoke it. As Jordanesque as it gets,As Jordanesque as it gets, LeBron reminds me so much of the great man and he is still only 24 years old. Oh and by the way Jordan was 28 when he won his first NBA championsip.

Actually i have been around long enough to watch jordan as far back as 89 before then i was too young to stay up till 5 in the morning watching NBA games on the good old german satilite channel of DSF sports. So no i wasnt lucky enough to see him play live in front of me but yes i have watched NBA basketball for 20 years now.

As for jordan being 28 the option of skipping college back in his day wasnt really an option so he started in the league alot later than Lebron did so the matter of age is not comparable.

Ive seen and met Kobe, picked up a cavs game with lebron playing albeit againts golden state and very early in his carrier met lots of players and was fortunate to see them play in front of me and as ive said yes Lebron is a good player and i watched the game you put the clip up of last night at 2 in the morning as will i stay up to watch tonights game and yes that was a great shot.

Very like jordan but i dont see you posting a video of game one where he threw the game away by giving up the ball to someone else! and oh wait they lost to the magic a team that lives and dies by the three so a little bit of guard defense on the 3 point line and they would of spanked the magic.

The proof of Lebron as a good player will be when they meet the nuggets in the next round when he goes against a team not a bunch of indivduals but a team of strong tallent and not one or 2 stars. (yes i did say nuggets next round as i think kobe's lakers have a hill to climb being 1-1 and the next 3 games at home for the nuggets)

But the proof of him as a great player (not the greatest but great) will be to come back and do it all again next year he has to prove he can bring it year in year out, with no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Dam i was going to make this point! Lebron is going to do all that Jordan did and more!

Not really a valid point though as its pure speculation.. I didnt know you could see into the future!?!

as i think kobe's lakers have a hill to climb being 1-1 and the next 3 games at home for the nuggets)

That was an excellent post and all but this part is incorrect. The Nuggets have the next two games at home before going back to LA for game 5, then if goes to a game 6 the series shifts to Denver. LA will then host a game 7 should it come to that stage.

• Advertisement

Sea Devils wrote: »
    That was an excellent post and all but this part is incorrect. The Nuggets have the next two games at home before going back to LA for game 5, then if goes to a game 6 the series shifts to Denver. LA will then host a game 7 should it come to that stage.

Ha ha my bad thanks for the correction all these late nights watching ball are taking there toll :D but it has to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

But the proof of him as a great player (not the greatest but great) will be to come back and do it all again next year he has to prove he can bring it year in year out, with no excuses.

Very very fair point and i for one think that he will do exactly that!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Just came across this LBJ interview from last month

I'm now definitely under the impression that he will leave Cleveland in 2010 because he wants to become the first 'billionaire brand' athlete :eek: I think his team will figure that won't be possible staying in Cleveland.
    However I don't think he'd leave before he got Cleveland a championship

He's been linked with the knicks ever since he was drafted, the knicks is a massive market second only to LA in the potential money that it could make this kid and i dont think he would join the clippers and kobe wont be going anywhere for a while. So id say if he wins this year then hell see if he can get 2 in a row, basically hang around till the streak ends but if they dont win hell be gone probably after next season if not sooner.

Just watched this on ABC and thought it was funny Kobe breaking Lebrons balls ha ha and its a lebron ad! go figure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

How is the NBA championship going this year?

Whos left in it?

How is the NBA championship going this year?

Whos left in it?

this is a Lebron thread but if you want to keep up to date check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055540363 or nba.com of course.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I agree about NY or even possibly the Nets (we know he's best buds with Jay-Z, and they're moving/due to move to Brooklyn) so that's another possibility. But I don't think he would leave Cavs untill he got them at least one. He was born and raised and lived his entire life in Cleveland, the Cavs haven't had a championship ever and I reckon he would remain loyal untill that was achieved. If he wants to become the 1st 'billionaire balla' :p then for his sake he better get it done this year or next!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

this is a Lebron thread but if you want to keep up to date check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055540363 or nba.com of course.:P

Cheers mate, new to this and only finding my feet :)

Advertisement