Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemartins Nesting

Options
  • 22-05-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have had housemartins nesting on my alarm box up near the eves of the house for a few years now. They really make a bad mess and I want to stop them starting a nest. I tried disturbing them as before they start building but they keep coming back. does anyone have any suggestions? maybe put something on top of the alram box to stop them nesting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crocman

I was told that it is very very good luck to have these birds and Swallows (are they the same?) to nest on your house because they will not just nest anywhere and only choose very select homes to nest and bring good luck on the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I have these birds nesting in the eves at the back of the house and I love to see them there. They hardly make that much of a mess, a few bird dropppings, and it's not like we don't get enough rain in this country to wash most of it away. A small price to pay to see them every day.

These birds are on the decline in Europe and should left alone. Also, as far as I know it's illegal to interfere with a nest during the mating season (not saying you have but just saying!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Leave the poor feckers alone, they've just flow thousands of miles to nest on your alarm box and you're worried about the mess.

Advertisement