Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying spices

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I cook a lot of dishes with spices, turmeric, chilli, cajun etc. I was wondering does anyone know where I could get bigger jars than those on sale in most supermarkets? I tend to cook more than I need and freeze the excess, so I can go through those small jars fairly quickly

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

probably asian shops, otherwise some wholesale seller (I remember there was one in Mary street)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Head to your local Asian store - great value to be had. Or you can buy online http://www.bombaybazaar.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But remember that spices loose their zing and aroma over time so buying 500gms of say coriander may not be the best idea!

Most Asian shops sell handy 100grm sealed bags of spices way cheaper than the tiny supermarket things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sod that noise. Buy a mortar and pestle (or an electric coffee grinder with the spinning blade) for under €20, then buy whole spices. They'll keep for a lot longer than ground. Nutmeg, for example (the actual nuts) will keep longer than you will. Most whole spices (coriander seeds, cumin seeds, etc) will keep for six months or more on the shelf in a sealed container in the dark. And they'll taste a lot better for about 2 minutes of work grinding them (or about 24 seconds loading, grinding and emptying the coffee grinder).

Paprika's about the only thing I can think of that you can't do this with, you have to buy that ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Thanks for all your replies! :D Really, really helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement