Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone in 60 seconds ..

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Quarter past three in the day. Two young kids in the back of the car, the baby asleep.
    Collecting our son from after school care. Location, A main street in Galway city.
    My wife pulls her car up outside the building, slightly up on the footpath so as to not hinder any vehicles that may need to pass by.
    Never more than a few meters from the car, my wife rings the doorbell, collects my son and goes back to the car.
    No more than 60 seconds pass by.

A garda car driving down the street stops and informs my wife that she is parked illegally.
    She apologises profusely and mentions she was picking up her son from after school car and was only there for literally 1 minute.
    She heeds the warning the Guards gave her and we discuss that night how it is an major inconvenience to have to
    A) find parking in a busy city centre and
    B) take the smaller kids out of the car (especially when asleep) to walk down and collect our son, when stopping outside the building, not obstructing others mind, takes a mere minute!
    Nevertheless, we are law abiding citizens so if that is what has to be done, so be it.

Therefore we were both absolutely dumbfounded when my wife received a letter in the post yesterday, with a €40 fixed charge offence for parking on a footway!
    After giving the warning, the guard proceeded to take down my wife licence plate and fill out the necessary paperwork to charge her.

Seriously, a young baby asleep in the back of the car, parked out of the way so that both pedestrians and other vehicles could get by..
    But the big thing for me is .. She was there for 60 seconds ... 60 seconds

As I said, we're both law abiding citizens, so there fine was paid this morning. At the end of the day what the hell can you do about it ?

So I guess people of Galway beware if you need to run in somewhere for 60 seconds there is a Garda out there ready to pounce ..
    Or maybe he was having a bad day and decided to punish a young mother collecting her son from afterschool..

So what remains is to ask a question .. Has anyone else in Galway received any such fines recently ?
    I drive around the city a lot, and anyone else who does also can tell you there are plenty of other parking offences happening in the city every day ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Parking on the footpath is illegal.

I'm glad they're finally starting to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

GF got a fine when picking up dry-cleaning, i'd say again she was literly 60 seconds in the place (She parked in a P&D but didn't buy a ticket since she was right outside)

She got a ticket. D'ya know what she did? She paid it and got over it because she was in the wrong (However petty it may have been)

Suck it up, your wife parked illegally.

If it's that much of a problem, move your children to another school/creche/whatever - If you're willing to make such a post about your wife getting a fine for illegal parking, you should have researched parking etc. before putting your children into a city centre school.

I'm not sticking up for the Gardai, but at the end of the day what your wife did was illegal, regardless of how long she did it for. Let me put it into context for you; If someone had raped someone, wouldn't you like to see them punished for it? (I'm taking it you'd say 'yes') - Now, what if you caught the raper and he said "But I only stuck it in for 60 seconds" - Well, wouldn't you still think he should be punished for committing the act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

What about all the other mothers/fathers collecting their children from the same school who couldnt get past because your wife was vlocking the footpath and road with her car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Xiney wrote: »
    Parking on the footpath is illegal.

I'm glad they're finally starting to enforce it.

So why aren't they fining all the taxi's who park well down beyond the taxi rank outside St. Pats School every day, practically all the way down to Mill St. Garda station some nights. And most of the time there not actually moving, just parked. I'd fuc*ing love to park my car on the bridge there for a whole day so they'd have to pull out passed me and go around for a change. And yet the cops will happily enough walk passed them all and not say a goddamn word to them.

I don't know. I agree they should be fining them, though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

eh john that analogy is just plain wrong and misplaced!

Thanks for telling us OP, I sympathise a small bit, but you know what, people will still park on footpaths until the regulations are enforced.
    I'm delighted to see that the Gardai are finally living up to their word and cracking down on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JohnCleary wrote: »
    GF got a fine when picking up dry-cleaning, i'd say again she was literly 60 seconds in the place (She parked in a P&D but didn't buy a ticket since she was right outside)

She got a ticket. D'ya know what she did? She paid it and got over it because she was in the wrong (However petty it may have been)

If it's that much of a problem, move your children to another school/creche/whatever - If you're willing to make such a post about your wife getting a fine for illegal parking, you should have researched parking etc. before putting your children into a city centre school.

I'm not sticking up for the Gardai, but at the end of the day what your wife did was illegal, regardless of how long she did it for. Let me put it into context for you; If someone had raped someone, wouldn't you like to see them punished for it? (I'm taking it you'd say 'yes') - Now, what if you caught the raper and he said "But I only stuck it in for 60 seconds" - Well, wouldn't you still think he should be punished for committing the act?

Not really a very good analogy there John, a bit OTT!!

Mind you I do agree with you with the rest of your post, surely that is all the Gardai hear from people is 'I was only here for a minute' whether it was true or not.

To the original OP - The pavements are there for a purpose to provide a safe environment for people to walk on, it only takes a second for someone to walk out onto the road because a car is on the pavement and get knocked down so if your wife was there for 60seconds then a lot can happen in that time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Aurelius wrote: »
    Quarter past three in the day. Two young kids in the back of the car, the baby asleep.
    Collecting our son from after school care. Location, A main street in Galway city.
    My wife pulls her car up outside the building, slightly up on the footpath so as to not hinder any vehicles that may need to pass by.
    Never more than a few meters from the car, my wife rings the doorbell,
    (alternate ending)
    had to go in for a few seconds she swears and the car was stolen ! Guy driving got a fright when the kids screamed and hit a pole. ( i wouldn't wish it on anyone btw )

Realistic . Why ? Lad i know parked his car one evening , said he just had his hand on the hotel door and heard the car cranking over ( spark disabled so it would crank over, boxer engine so a bit distinctive and he might hear it )

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aurelius

Ye're right .. although using the example of rape is a bit extreme ..

Are they finally enforcing it ??
    The question I was asking is was this random or is it something that others in Galway are experiencing ??

Is it being enforced now in Galway because the Ocean Race is coming up and in a months time it'll be forgotten about again ..

Too many laws and not enough enforcement of them.

As for other mothers/fathers collecting kids.. I did mention there was plently of room for both pedestrians and other vehicles could get by..

bushy... wrote: »
    had to go in for a few seconds she swears and the car was stolen ! Guy driving got a fright when the kids screamed and hit a pole.

Realistic . Why ? Lad i know parked his car one evening , said he just had his hand on the hotel door and heard the car cranking over ( spark disabled so it would crank over, boxer engine so a bit distinctive and he might hear it )

Didn't go in anywhere.. Collected at the door, Car never out of sight.

• Advertisement

Parking illegally may save your wife a lot of time.

It may also cost her some money every now and then, in the form of fines.

So you have to ask yourself, is the time worth the fine? Or are the fines getting to be more than the time saved is worth?

Also, things are illegal for reasons. Pedestrians may be able to get by, but what about prams and wheelchairs?

Webbs wrote: »
    Not really a very good analogy there John, a bit OTT!!

Mind you I do agree with you with the rest of your post, surely that is all the Gardai hear from people is 'I was only here for a minute' whether it was true or not.

To the original OP - The pavements are there for a purpose to provide a safe environment for people to walk on, it only takes a second for someone to walk out onto the road because a car is on the pavement and get knocked down so if your wife was there for 60seconds then a lot can happen in that time!!
    Very true I'm sure they do hear that all the time .. but in this case it was for 60 seconds and there was plenty of room for even a buggy to get by on the path. She's not driving a hummer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

As a cyclist/pedestrian i hate people like your wife. I've been in a fair few dangerous situations when i turn a corner and find a car parked like that, neither on the footpath nor on the road, cars going by on the outside boxing me in, and the kerb preventing me going up on the path safely to avoid the damn parked car...

i know it's a pain in the arse having to go a fair distance to park elsewhere for such a short period, but there's a reason for those laws...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I park illegally too sometimes when I think I can get away with it, but if I'm fined I just pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

welcome to 2009
    cctv tickets are common in the uk, maybe they have come here too from what you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

As a cyclist/pedestrian i hate people like your wife. I've been in a fair few dangerous situations when i turn a corner and find a car parked like that, neither on the footpath nor on the road, cars going by on the outside boxing me in, and the kerb preventing me going up on the path safely to avoid the damn parked car...

I have to agree, its highly dangerous for cyclists, who seem to always be at the back of the queue for consideration from other road users. I was cycling in a cycle lane yesterday and someone (I presume the council) had put signs up to warn of an oil spill on the road - they put the signs up across the cycle lane completely blocking it. :rolleyes:

I don't know what it is with people collecting their kids anyhows, I live next door to a child minder and its happened me loads of times that I've arrived home and been unable to get into my own driveway because there is a car parked across it from someone collecting a child. Does a sense of entitlement come free with a a baby or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Two young kids in the back of the car, the baby asleep.
    And thats an excuse? WTF? You think you have special privileges because you have kids?
    B) take the smaller kids out of the car (especially when asleep) to walk down and collect our son, when stopping outside the building, not obstructing others mind, takes a mere minute!
    Kids Asleep LOL, where are you pulling these excuses out of :rolleyes:
    Nevertheless, we are law abiding citizens
    As I said, we're both law abiding citizens
    No your not, your wife parked illegally and thought she would get away with it, using your kids as an excuse is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Oh man, context??? Get a sense of realism dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Eurochild wrote: »
    Does a sense of entitlement come free with a a baby or what?

Yes it does and you get a free "Baby on Board" sticker so you get special treatment from every other other road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If someone had raped someone, wouldn't you like to see them punished for it? (I'm taking it you'd say 'yes') - Now, what if you caught the raper and he said "But I only stuck it in for 60 seconds" - Well, wouldn't you still think he should be punished for committing the act?

Holy crap dude...Get some perspective! Would a rapist be given a €40 fine and be told on his way... :rolleyes:

Magnus wrote: »
    Yeah I park illegally too sometimes when I think I can get away with it, but if I'm fined I just pay.

Yeah ditto, if you get away with it 20 times @ €2 a time then there is the cost of the fine covered! ;)

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    And thats an excuse? WTF? You think you have special privileges because you have kids?

Kids Asleep LOL, where are you pulling these excuses out of :rolleyes:

No your not, your wife parked illegally and thought she would get away with it, using your kids as an excuse is rubbish.

Totally entitled to special privilages! A full list of them given in the pamplets when you have a baby in UCHG.. Did you not get them ? Not sure if parking illegally is one of them - Must check.

Seriously though.. Question was if other people in the city were getting fines for illegal parking cos I know this is not a rare case.

BTW - babies do tend to fall asleep in the car. That's a tip that might be needed sometime in the future when it's 3am, you need to get some sleep for that important meeting in the morning and the baby is screaming the house down. Sometimes when the baby is asleep you DO NOT want to take it from the car and wake it up. I'm guessing parents will only understand that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

..Seriously though.. Question was if other people in the city were getting fines for illegal parking cos I know this is not a rare case.

I think they are, people made representations to the Superintendent in May 2008 and he said that they would take the matter more seriously and he also gave a commitment to eradicate illegal parking in galway 'by this time next year' (may 2009) but nobody believed him. Seriously as other posters mentioned, look around next time you are out & about, cars parked everywhere in breach of regulations.
    In addition the city council & an garda have given warnings around the VOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

I wish they gave out tickets as quickly to people driving around with phones stuck to there ears, but then i suppose that would mean they would have to actually exit their squad car to get your details. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I used to work with people who use wheelchairs and seriously, people like your wife made my life hell, as because they parked up on the footpath, it would be impossible to get by! Even if it was just a bit...used to make my blood boil, as it's difficult to reverse, get off the path and onto the road, bypass the car and then back up on the path again. I'm sure the same goes for people pushing buggies...

On topic, I do know of other people who have gotten fines for things like this, and rightly so IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I wish they gave out tickets as quickly to people driving around with phones stuck to there ears

Or people breaking red lights. Or using a roundabout incorrectly. Or pulling out in front of you, ignoring "Yield" signs. Or parking in yellow boxes. Or parking with 'hazard lights on while just poppoing into the shop'. Or parking too close to a corner. Or any other stupidity Galway drivers are famous for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

padi89 wrote: »

No your not, your wife parked illegally

Jaysus, okay so technically parking on a footpath is illegal, but can you all stop saying it? Or at least stop going on about it with such a tone of conviction. FFS, his wife parked somewhere she shouldn't have, but she's not a fcukin criminal. And they did pay the fine and get on with it, so whats the problem??

Anyone else out there care to admit that when they got a fine they knew they deserved that even just for a second they were a bit pissed off? I doubt anyone who gets a fine for parking ILLEGALLY (God, what an awful crime!!!!) just laughs to themselves, says "Oops! Got caught this time, haha!" then goes off to pay the fine, and never mentions it again.

Jaysus padi89, gtf over it. Just because the wife parked up the footpath, doesn't mean that her and her husband aren't law abiding citizens, wtf would you do if you ever came across a real criminal????

I used to work with people who use wheelchairs and seriously, people like your wife made my life hell, as because they parked up on the footpath, it would be impossible to get by! Even if it was just a bit...used to make my blood boil, as it's difficult to reverse, get off the path and onto the road, bypass the car and then back up on the path again. I'm sure the same goes for people pushing buggies...

On topic, I do know of other people who have gotten fines for things like this, and rightly so IMO

Let me say as a person whose mother was in a wheelchair and who pushes the kids in the buggy I see where you're coming from but again I stress.. There was enough room for people/buggies/wheelchairs to get by! And again.. gone in 60 seconds.. It is a large footpath !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

here, you parked illegally, you got caught, get over it

peanuthead wrote: »
    Jaysus, okay so technically parking on a footpath is illegal, but can you all stop saying it? Or at least stop going on about it with such a tone of conviction. FFS, his wife parked somewhere she shouldn't have, but she's not a fcukin criminal. And they did pay the fine and get on with it, so whats the problem??

Anyone else out there care to admit that when they got a fine they knew they deserved that even just for a second they were a bit pissed off? I doubt anyone who gets a fine for parking ILLEGALLY (God, what an awful crime!!!!) just laughs to themselves, says "Oops! Got caught this time, haha!" then goes off to pay the fine, and never mentions it again.

Jaysus padi89, gtf over it. Just because the wife parked up the footpath, doesn't mean that her and her husband aren't law abiding citizens, wtf would you do if you ever came across a real criminal????

Tnx peanuthead !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

Your bird should not have paid this. There is a five minute grace period in all p&d parking spaces.

Advertisement