Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages of saving games to hard drive

• 22-05-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

As far as I know you need the disk in to play the game anyway so is there nay advantage to doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

If you install a game on HDD it won't spin the CD during the game which means less noise and the data can be accessed faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

I need the disk in the tray to lod the game up but can I remove the disk after it's loaded up?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Some games perform much better - others worse (Halo 3 performs worst because it used disk caching anyways).

Fable II is a game where I noticed the most benefit - especially in crowded places where all the speech had to be loaded.

The biggest benefit however is the lack of the noise of the DVD driver - makes a huge difference.

EDIT - If you eject the disk during play your xbox will automatically go back to the dashboard thus exiting the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

I need the disk in the tray to lod the game up but can I remove the disk after it's loaded up?
    No, you can't remove the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

quiter operation and hardware longevity; having a 12 speed dvd drive running at full throttle in that badly designed box is what triggered a lot of the RROD and board failures on the xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It doesn't sound like a fookin jump jet taking off, and it is less likely to melt into a puddle of crap on the floor... RROD style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Definately the noise reduction but also the internal temperature will reduce slightly with the dvd drive idle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ive noticed a few games run better and texture loading is sped up, mainly in Mass Effect and The Last Remnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Cheers for the answers - makes sense to have games on the drive if it will prolong the box - already had the rrod once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I honestly think I'm the only one who hasn got the RROD in this country and I've mine about 2 and a half years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

If you damage your disk like i did with GH3 all songs starting with p can't be played get a lend of a clean one install to xbox everything works fine

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I honestly think I'm the only one who hasn got the RROD in this country and I've mine about 2 and a half years!
    Nope - 1.5 years and not a single problem other than the odd stall.

To be honest the stories of people going through 4 or 5 xboxes in a year are either exaggerated or they are storing them in ovens and have 17 double adaptors hanging out of one socket to power everything in their house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not one problem for me either and had it 1.5 years. Hope I'm not jinxing myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not one problem for me either and had it 1.5 years. Hope I'm not jinxing myself now.

Ah I was like you once, I then got 3 within a year.

Disc drive went too, but managed to get that fixed for free as I was sending the console back for RROD anyway. Just got a 60gb hard drive so hoping that installing the games will at least save the disc drive from going again. I hold no hope of the console lasting until the next gen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Nope - 1.5 years and not a single problem other than the odd stall.

Ah jesus don't jinx yourself! :) My friend had his for over 2 years. Constantly boasting about how he never had a problem, then BAM! the thing went tits up.
    The failure rate does seem to be dropping off finally on the new machines.
    But anyway back on topic, the install definitely makes it run a lot smoother, quieter and cooler. The casing hardly heated up during my long long fallout excursions! and no waiting for half an hour everytime you enter through a door a la oblivion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

It doesnt sound as loud and it stays cooler.

Advertisement