Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Daily Mail] Two-thirds of British voters want Government to break 'harmful' EU rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

oscarBravo wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1186076/Ripe-revolt-Two-thirds-British-voters-want-Government-break-harmful-EU-rules.html

This article is yet another example of the sort of steaming pile of poo we've come to expect from the British Euroskeptic press. There's not one - not one - example given of a so-called "harmful" EU rule.

I wonder how the survey questions were phrased? I note they're not quoted in the article.

For Eurosceptics, All EU rules are harmful :D

I guess the Daily Mail is doing its bit to drum up support for the UKIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

View wrote: »
    For Eurosceptics, All EU rules are harmful :D

I guess the Daily Mail is doing its bit to drum up support for the UKIP.

Sometimes I just wish the UK would leave the EU so that Irish people weren't polluted by this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Steviemak wrote: »
    Sometimes I just wish the UK would leave the EU so that Irish people weren't polluted by this nonsense.

Sometimes I just wish the Irish people would learn to think for themselves, instead of letting the Daily Fail turn them into euroskeptic tory little Englanders...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1186076/Ripe-revolt-Two-thirds-British-voters-want-Government-break-harmful-EU-rules.html

I wonder how the survey questions were phrased? I note they're not quoted in the article.

"if the EU were to impose legislation forcing parents to allow convicted paedophiles to share rooms with our children, would you want the Government to allow this?"

Something along those lines I'd imagine. Possibly even more hysterical.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    "if the EU were to impose legislation forcing parents to allow convicted paedophiles to share rooms with our children, would you want the Government to allow this?"

Something along those lines I'd imagine. Possibly even more hysterical.

Or maybe 'Should the Government allow the EU to force/block cervical cancer injections [delete one option depending on Country]?'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/18/bad-science-cancer-jabs-daily-mail

The Daily Fail is a focking rag and I wouldn't use it to wipe dogsh*t off the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Sometimes I just wish the Irish people would learn to think for themselves, instead of letting the Daily Fail turn them into euroskeptic tory little Englanders...

So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sometimes I just wish the Irish people would learn to think for themselves ...

But I thought the purpose of this forum was that we could do their thinking for them.

That's why they are so confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

This article is yet another example of the sort of steaming pile of poo we've come to expect from the British Euroskeptic press. There's not one - not one - example given of a so-called "harmful" EU rule.

You cannot deny though that there is a lot of scepticism in the UK against the EC...and a certain amount of people see the EC as far from perfect, even in this country which has gained a lot from EC funds etc over the years. Think what it is like in the UK, which has been the 2nd biggest contributer to the UK after Germany.

jimmmy wrote: »
    You cannot deny though that there is a lot of scepticism in the UK against the EC...and a certain amount of people see the EC as far from perfect, even in this country which has gained a lot from EC funds etc over the years. Think what it is like in the UK, which has been the 2nd biggest contributer to the UK after Germany.

Hello my friend from the 1980's, how is all back there?

You should know that the West wins the Cold War, and Ireland are about to make it to their first world cup! You're about to embark on a decade of peace and prosperity in the 1990's

Enjoy the ride, watch out for a band called Nirvana and buy Apple stock...

jimmmy wrote: »
    You cannot deny though that there is a lot of scepticism in the UK against the EU.

There surely is, most of it baseless hyperbole whipped up by sh*trags like the daily fail and the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There surely is, most of it baseless hyperbole whipped up by sh*trags like the daily fail and the sun.

True, but the press reflects its readers' as well as influences them. There is a significant proportion of people in the UK who believe the EU to be below them and that the UK would be better off as an independent nation. Total crackpots but there's enough of them out there.

Yep Greendom, there's always been the 'Up yours Delors' brigade, it's just such a shame to see Irish people donning this attitude, especially when it comes out of the same mouths as the 'faack orff Paddy' brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yep Greendom, there's always been the 'Up yours Delors' brigade, it's just such a shame to see Irish people donning this attitude, especially when it comes out of the same mouths as the 'faack orff Paddy' brigade.

True to have this attitude in Ireland makes even less sense than it does to have it in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Daily Mail is not a good source of information..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Daily Mail is not a good source of information..
    That's like saying Stalin was not a nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's like saying Stalin was not a nice man.

Well he wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's worrying that you actually pay enough attention to the Daily Mail to spot this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Didn't the Irish times run a poll that asked what way people would vote if the lisbon treaty was ammened to ease their concerns. And then claimed people were in favour of a Yes vote.
    Poll's in papers are agenda filling crap for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

nesf wrote: »
    It's worrying that you actually pay enough attention to the Daily Mail to spot this...

Know thine enemy.

There is growing support for the UK to leave the EU. It's the whole "we were once an empire" thing, they still believe tht they're entitled to more then they actually are. In addition to this I find the Daily Mail very amusing, I especially enjoy their Euro-skeptic approach to things tis most excellent. Fact of the matter is the UK thinks that the EU is responsible for all its various woes. what's even more amusing is if you go through people's comments on the Mail's website when we voted NO, it's all "well done our Celtic brothers" and so on. Tis cringe worthy i'm afraid! I do find myself wishing they would leave the EU if only so the country would fail miserably and then we could invade them and see how they like it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

meganj wrote: »
    Know thine enemy.

There is growing support for the UK to leave the EU. It's the whole "we were once an empire" thing, they still believe tht they're entitled to more then they actually are. In addition to this I find the Daily Mail very amusing, I especially enjoy their Euro-skeptic approach to things tis most excellent. Fact of the matter is the UK thinks that the EU is responsible for all its various woes. what's even more amusing is if you go through people's comments on the Mail's website when we voted NO, it's all "well done our Celtic brothers" and so on. Tis cringe worthy i'm afraid! I do find myself wishing they would leave the EU if only so the country would fail miserably and then we could invade them and see how they like it... :D

let them leave, just make sure they don't drag us down with them

UK is fairly econnomically screwed with higher debts than the Weimar Republic, continuing recession even after a huge devaluation and finally a central bank printing money to largely finance the government spending

UK leaving the EU with no empire to fall back one would be an economic suicide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Didnt the UK government want to join the euro back when it was being introduced but it would have been political suicide to do so though it might go along way of helping the British economy?

Funny how a government can survive a pointless war, but a changing of currency to help the economy would have destroyed it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

nesf wrote: »
    :) It was emailed to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

The result of the vote in the French referendum on the constitution, taken together with the Danish result and the Irish result of the treaty, should be more than enough evidence that its not just the UK where there is considerable unease about the EU across the EU. It's how that is addressed over the coming years that will determine the direction the EU will take.

The result of the vote in the French referendum on the constitution, taken together with the Danish result and the Irish result of the treaty, should be more than enough evidence that its not just the UK where there is considerable unease about the EU across the EU. It's how that is addressed over the coming years that will determine the direction the EU will take.

What about the Spanish and Luxembourg referenda on the constitution? What's that evidence of?

Funny how I never see anyone mention those when they talk about the French and Dutch results

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The result of the vote in the French referendum on the constitution, taken together with the Danish result...
    :confused: The Danes have done what now?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

djpbarry wrote: »
    :confused: The Danes have done what now?
    Voted against the Maastricht treaty (in the first referendum, which we all know is the answer that really counts). Obviously this signifies a rejection of the Lisbon treaty.

Do try to keep up.

What about the Spanish and Luxembourg referenda on the constitution? What's that evidence of?

Funny how I never see anyone mention those when they talk about the French and Dutch results

All the referenda, whether passed or not, point to a large number of people who are unseasy and unsure about the direction of the EU. Even where referenda/dums are passed, it generally is by a slim-ish margin showing large numbers still uneasy. Whether they are right or wrong isn't the issue, the issue is how that's accommodated or dealt with.

It has been fashionable to sneer at such people and mock them, but I'm not sure if this tactic is going to work for much longer, especially in an enlarged EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... It has been fashionable to sneer at such people and mock them, but I'm not sure if this tactic is going to work for much longer, especially in an enlarged EU.

Wow. The "no to Lisbon" movement is now playing for the sympathy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

All the referenda, whether passed or not, point to a large number of people who are unseasy and unsure about the direction of the EU. Even where referenda/dums are passed, it generally is by a slim-ish margin showing large numbers still uneasy. Whether they are right or wrong isn't the issue, the issue is how that's accommodated or dealt with.

It has been fashionable to sneer at such people and mock them, but I'm not sure if this tactic is going to work for much longer, especially in an enlarged EU.

My own view would be that the majority of people have no real idea about the EU at all, or very much interest. We in Ireland used to know a fair bit more about it, but have failed to update ourselves during the boom.

It's as if we had a Building Society account, and used to be very interested in what happened in the Society because it really impacted our money, but we've had a dozen years of prosperity, with bank accounts in Dubai and leveraged loans in Macao. Every now and again we got a letter from the Society, and there was a vote or something, but we haven't been paying attention, because it didn't seem relevant to our new lifestyle. Now, suddenly, the party is over, and what's left is the Building Society account - but we're ten years out of touch.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Wow. The "no to Lisbon" movement is now playing for the sympathy vote.

Are they? Where have you seen that? In any case, most politicians will do almost anything to get power, so it should hardly be a surprise. I guess.

scofflaw wrote: »
    My own view would be that the majority of people have no real idea about the EU at all, or very much interest. We in Ireland used to know a fair bit more about it, but have failed to update ourselves during the boom.

It's as if we had a Building Society account, and used to be very interested in what happened in the Society because it really impacted our money, but we've had a dozen years of prosperity, with bank accounts in Dubai and leveraged loans in Macao. Every now and again we got a letter from the Society, and there was a vote or something, but we haven't been paying attention, because it didn't seem relevant to our new lifestyle. Now, suddenly, the party is over, and what's left is the Building Society account - but we're ten years out of touch.

I think it's possible the majority of people have very little idea about most things, whether it be the EU, or Brian Clowen, or psychokinesis, or the internal combustustion engine. However, in a democracy we have to allow for those with opinions which are plain wrong or which are based on false facts or decisions reached because the individual voter likes the colour of a particular politicians hair.

I think your point opens up a whole new argument about democracy and about how our democracy is no longer very democratic or answerable to the electorate. Many voters vote not with hard logic but because of a feeling they have about a person, a party or an organisation. Wring our hands about that as we might, we can't change it and can only try to educate and illuminate when we see it.

Advertisement