Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband and WNR2000

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I dont know if this is in the right place so apologies in advance if it isnt.

I bought the product in the link below yesterday
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx?detail=Specifications

I went home to set it up with Ice Broadband, entered in all the correct information as I have done before with my old Linksys Router but I cannot get an internet connection no matter what I do.

I have tried everything that I can think of to get it working and I know a decent bit about setting these up but I am just stumped at the moment.

Have tried manual setup and then use the setup assistant but I am getting the same results off both.

When I plug out the router and plug in straight into the computer it works straight away so I just cant understand what the problem is.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Firstly, I dont know if this is in the right place so apologies in advance if it isnt.

I bought the product in the link below yesterday
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx?detail=Specifications

I went home to set it up with Ice Broadband, entered in all the correct information as I have done before with my old Linksys Router but I cannot get an internet connection no matter what I do.

I have tried everything that I can think of to get it working and I know a decent bit about setting these up but I am just stumped at the moment.

Have tried manual setup and then use the setup assistant but I am getting the same results off both.

When I plug out the router and plug in straight into the computer it works straight away so I just cant understand what the problem is.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Alan
    When you manually assign the IP details on the router, you need to set your computers TCP/IP settings to automatic. It will receive it's correct settings from the router (via DHCP). I'm sure you know where this is in your Local Area Connection properties:

Local_area_con_obtain_ip_dns_xp.png

Before and after.

Cable > PC (Ice IP address) > Online

Cable > Router (Ice IP address ) > Cable > PC (Router IP address) > Online

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

cpu-dude wrote: »
    When you manually assign the IP details on the router, you need to set your computers TCP/IP settings to automatic. It will receive it's correct settings from the router (via DHCP). I'm sure you know where this is in your Local Area Connection properties:

Local_area_con_obtain_ip_dns_xp.png

Before and after.

Cable > PC (Ice IP address) > Online

Cable > Router (Ice IP address ) > Cable > PC (Router IP address) > Online

Thanks cpudude.

Okay, Im am just not 100% sure what you mean at the end, I have done the above, but when you say "before and after" and then after that, is it something I need to do in order?

Thanks cpudude.

Okay, Im am just not 100% sure what you mean at the end, I have done the above, but when you say "before and after" and then after that, is it something I need to do in order?
    That order is how it is with the cable directly (top) and through the router (bottom).

On your computer, do this:

Start > Run > Type "ncpa.cpl" and press OK > Right click Local Area Connection and select Properties > Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and select Properties > Tick the two boxes from the image above (Obtain IP address / DNS automatically) > OK > Apply > OK.

Now connect up the router to the PC as normal as try again.

local_area_connection_properties.jpg

tcp_properties.jpg

Thanks mate, I'll get cracking on this this evening when I get home.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

cpuguy...

Sorry one last question.

Do you think that because I kept chopping and changing and messig about with the setup without plugging out the router was the reason I could not get it to connect?

• Advertisement

cpuguy...

Sorry one last question.

Do you think that because I kept chopping and changing and messig about with the setup without plugging out the router was the reason I could not get it to connect?
    No I dont think so, the only way Ice works is if the IP address is manually assigned somewhere. When it's connected directly to the PC, it works - which means the IP details are manually assigned on the computer (in that image above, the boxes will have all the details on your PC).

If you manually assign them on your router and then connect it to your PC, their will be a IP conflict because the router gives out it's own IP address internally (along the lines on 192.168.1.2 etc.) so by setting the TCP settings above to automatic and connecting up the router as normal to your PC (like below) - then you'll get online.

8878.png

Thanks again, fingers crossed I'll get it sorted.

Cheers :)

Hi cpu-guy/everyone else.

Done it step by step but still not connecting to the internet.

The light is on, everything seems to be fine but still wont work

Bump!!

Still not got it to work :(

Bump!!

Still not got it to work :(
    Are you manually configuring your Netgear router will all the correct IP details including DNS, Gateway, Subnet and IP address? (The details that were in the Internet Protocol Properties image I posted above). It's very important that everyone of them are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Tony3004

Ice broadband suck ass

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Are you manually configuring your Netgear router will all the correct IP details including DNS, Gateway, Subnet and IP address? (The details that were in the Internet Protocol Properties image I posted above). It's very important that everyone of them are correct.

Yes 100%

I even bought a new router and still no joy. I was on to Tech Support and they are sending me out new Crossover cable, it is the only conclusion they could come to...so I will wait and see if it does any good...the other one was a little worn but I dont think it was damaged.

Either way, what I am going to do if it doesnt work is get them to come out and set it up with one of their own wireless routers. This has got about 10 hours of my time and for once I have given up!!

Thanks again though CPU.. I will let you know how I get on!

Yes 100%

I even bought a new router and still no joy. I was on to Tech Support and they are sending me out new Crossover cable, it is the only conclusion they could come to...so I will wait and see if it does any good...the other one was a little worn but I dont think it was damaged.

Either way, what I am going to do if it doesnt work is get them to come out and set it up with one of their own wireless routers. This has got about 10 hours of my time and for once I have given up!!

Thanks again though CPU.. I will let you know how I get on!
    You shouldn't need it, it's a straight through cable (which the engineer should have made himself during the install) from the PSU to the router (Internet Port or WAN) and then a Crossover (RJ45) from any one of the 4 LAN ports to the computer. Have you ran troubleshooting on the router?

I had the exact same setup 2 years ago when I had Ice Broadband with my Netgear WGR614 and it worked without fail since the first setup.

Could you try this? Power off the PSU, Router and Computer. Turn on the PSU, wait 30 seconds, turn on the router, wait again, turn on your PC.

Advertisement