Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooter with dedicated servers

• 22-05-2009 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

What shooters for either Xbox 360 or PS3 use dedicated servers in MP mode?
    I played yesterday GOW2, lost connection to hosts three times, each time I ended up with a penalty. A JOKE!!! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I dont think there is any but I could be wrong.

This wrecks my head in COD4 when some snotty american ends the game and pisses off when you are about to headshot someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I'm not sure but I think all games on x360 are P2P, no server games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Was shadowrun not on dedicate servers due to it being played by both pc and consoles on the same server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

That's disappointing... I'm wondering, are the servers really so expensive to maintain? Look at Guild Wars on a PC, you pay once when you purchase the game and that's it, no subscription fees. They have (or used to have) more than 4 mln players and made a good profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think EA games use their own servers, I know I had to link my EA account and Xbox Live account for Battlefield: Bad Company, plus the divided servers Army of Two had for USA and Europe.

The reason a lot of devs dont use their own servers is what happens years later when they have servers for games barely anyone plays anymore, as the backlash to EA a year or so ago. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news070806eashutdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I say make it like pc where people can buy/mod there own servers! I doubt there is much of a difference.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    The reason a lot of devs dont use their own servers is what happens years later when they have servers for games barely anyone plays anymore, as the backlash to EA a year or so ago. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news070806eashutdown
    Well, devs could say that the support for GOW2 multiplayer will end in 2014 and that's it. Guild Wars was released in 2005 and will be playable till 2010, but the vast majority will quit earlier anyway and/or will buy GW2.
    This scenario is IMO much better than laggy matches. Approx. 95% of GOW2 matches I play have a playable lag, where it is not particularly easy to kill the host and he has a big advantage over the rest of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

hosi wrote: »
    This scenario is IMO much better than laggy matches. Approx. 95% of GOW2 matches I play have a playable lag, where it is not particularly easy to kill the host and he has a big advantage over the rest of players.

Preaching to the choir mate. I cant stand GoW2 Multiplay as each match revolves around pressing 3 buttons, Left on D-Pad for shotgun and then spamming A and Right Trigger till one side wins :rolleyes: . Horde mode is the only reason I havent given up on the game completely.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Horde mode is the only reason I havent given up on the game completely.
    Yeah, but on the other hand Horde isn't so exciting ;) What about private matches? I played yesterday with limerickred and other mates. It was a good game actually, although it was quite easy to notice who's the host (when you shoot at him three times from 1m distance with a shotgun and he wasn't even downed ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

MAG will use dedicated servers when it comes out this autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah, but on the other hand Horde isn't so exciting ;) What about private matches? I played yesterday with limerickred and other mates. It was a good game actually, although it was quite easy to notice who's the host (when you shoot at him three times from 1m distance with a shotgun and he wasn't even downed ;)).

:D

Good games alright. We only play private matches as still have trouble finding matches in MP when theres a few of us. Even using a few bots is better than waiting to find a match for 10 minutes.

bucks73 wrote: »
    Even using a few bots is better than waiting to find a match for 10 minutes.

That's weird. Normally I wait 30 s - 1 min. If the matchmaking process takes too long (3 mins or so) I simply abort it and start over again, then it takes less than 1 min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Well, devs could say that the support for GOW2 multiplayer will end in 2014 and that's it. Guild Wars was released in 2005 and will be playable till 2010, but the vast majority will quit earlier anyway and/or will buy GW2.

I thought Guild wars is able to support its servers under the notion of instance play (rather then full open mmo) and regular add on packs (3 since its release) to keep its servers running.

Advertisement