Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlsberg Comedy Carnival 2009

Options
  • 22-05-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone went to last year's festival and what it was like? Is there much going on apart from the actual comedy shows? The shows I fancy most are Jason Byrne, Jason Manford and some other person (can't remember who!) on the Friday night and the Who's Line show on Saturday. What else goes on that's worth hanging around for?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

You'll get the price of each show on the Ticketmaster website. The tickets aren't on sale yet but the prices are up. Any of the shows I looked at are €29.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

I have a presale link if anyones interested - pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

and i went last year - brilliant fun - weather helped though, it was sunny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A little birdie told me that the 'between shows' craic is going to be great this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I've gone in previous years but not sure about this one. Tickets seem expensive to me. I mean, Kilkenny had great gigs - 4 top class comedians per show for €28 or €29 (plus €2 booking). These Iveagh gardens gigs are 3 comedians for €29.50 and that's before the crazy ticketmaster booking fee of €3.70.

The entertainment in between shows last year wasn't great... well, there wasn't really any unless watching people juggle and hula hoop is your thing. Limited drinks available (pretty much just carlsberg) in the gardens and "gourmet" burgers for €10

I dunno... I like my comedy but think I'll stick to going to the international a couple of nights before August instead. Lots of comedians practising their Edinburgh stuff there between now and then. I heard Neil Delamere's doing shows there around 6.30 every evening this week for €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Seems like a poor enough line up this year. A who's who of medium Irish stand-ups. No major names or indeed international stars. They seem to be reserved for the Bulmers Fest in Sept. I saw the Tommy and Hector show in the Iveagh last year and it was only so-so. I spent a huge amount on Kilkenny tickets this year so I think I'll pass on the Iveagh Gardens. You can see almost all of the line up quite regularly in the comedy clubs for a lot less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

I bought tickets to see Maria Bamford and Eugene Mirman the second they were pre-available, then put my foot through the computer I was on in a vain attempt to stop anyone else from buying tickets so I could have a private show.

Will be good to see Neil Hamburger as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Is there a way to get your money's worth and go to 2 sessions in one evening? Or are the crowds flushed out of the Iveagh Gardens after the 1930 shows? I'd love to see Gallagher/McSavage early on on Thursday evening but she's a big Jason Byrne fan, don't fancy forking out 120 quid for the pleasure of seeing 2 comedians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

I've seen every Irish comic on the bill perform expect for this guy

http://www.carlsbergcomedy.com/comedians/Cathal_Murray.shtml

Have I been living under some form of rock or something? says he's only gigging 20 months. Fair play to him anyway he must be good.

Also for those who are looking for some recommendations - I nominate John Lynn and/or Garoid Farrelly if you haven't seen either of these acts perform before, then they're defiently worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Holy sh1t y'all, Todd Barry.

I said TODD... BARRY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Arcee wrote: »

The entertainment in between shows last year wasn't great... well, there wasn't really any unless watching people juggle and hula hoop is your thing. Limited drinks available (pretty much just carlsberg) in the gardens and "gourmet" burgers for €10

It's a posh affair for people with deep pockets. There was champaigne for €10a go. You don't need too many more clues to guess what the majority of the crowd's like or where they're from.
    I dunno... I like my comedy but think I'll stick to going to the international a couple of nights before August instead. Lots of comedians practising their Edinburgh stuff there between now and then. I heard Neil Delamere's doing shows there around 6.30 every evening this week for €2.

I was in Glasgow a few months ago and he was billed to do a gig in a little pub/cafe for a few pound. It was moved at the last minute and I didn't bother going to the new venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can someone help me understand how this works?
    it doesnt seem to be like a normal festival where you can wander from tent to tent etc.

i had a look on ticketmaster and there are 44 events listed.
    if i book an evening ticket will there be something on during the day for me to go to?

hmm, now i'm even more confused, there is a ticket for
    Sat 25/07/09
    05:00 Carlsberg Comedy Carnival - International Comedy Club 10th Anniversary
    Iveagh Theatre, Iveagh Gardens - Dublin Find

does anyone know if i have to buy this on top of a ticket for a performance?

subway wrote: »

i had a look on ticketmaster and there are 44 events listed.
    if i book an evening ticket will there be something on during the day for me to go to?

This doesn't qualify as a festival in an Oxygen or EP style. A bit of a con really. You can't wander to different tents as you need have purchased a separate ticket in advance of every gig. The 'entertainment' in between is a joke (and not in a comedic way). Mostly jugglers, street entertainer fare. Not the most interesting. The food is overpriced. Also, it's unassigned seating so you have to queue for a good while before gigs thus limiting any time you'd have to wander around anyway.

You also need to show your ticket to get into the Iveagh Gardens in the 1st place so you can't just go in for a look.

This festival, whilst it looks good on paper, is just standard rip off in Ireland's Celtic Tiger culture that is likely to die a death soon. As said, much better value to be had at the various comedy clubs around the country for a fraction of the cost.

thanks for the quick response.
    the idea seems good but, not knowing much about the irish stand up circuit, i can only take your advice on the lineup.

it seems like a good idea for a day out, but excution will probably be poor.
    will see how it goes and might get a ticktet, its cheaper than the LL

Yeah as the guy above said, it's a rip off but there's a good section of Dublin's more well off that love this kinda crap. As I said, €10 for a plastic champaigne flute of drink ? Pfft... we know where they're from.

Anyway, to answer your question again, if you wanna see "Des Bishop, Leo Allen, MC Dermot Whelan" then you buy this ticket : http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180042B28FD53892?artistid=994257&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=51

If you wanna see:: PJ Gallagher,Karl Spain,Paddy Courtney, then you buy this one ... http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180042B28F533878?artistid=994631&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=51

And so on and so forth. You basically buy a ticket for each gig and a gig is made up of two or three guys playing for about two hrs in the one tent . You go into the tent with your ticket, see the gig , then leave and then if you want to see another gig you've to buy another ticket.

cheers, sounds ridiculous.
    would cost a small fortune to make a weekend out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ss-ss-ss

DAMMIT!!! I didnt realise that - I just booked tickets for Jason Byrne on the Friday thinking I could go to Andrew Maxwell that night :mad: so angry....

Eglinton wrote: »
    This festival, whilst it looks good on paper, is just standard rip off in Ireland's Celtic Tiger culture that is likely to die a death soon. As said, much better value to be had at the various comedy clubs around the country for a fraction of the cost.

In fairness, the Better Value you speak of is only available if you're interested in seeing Irish comedians. A festival like this is necessary to pull in some of the foreign acts that have been mentioned in this thread.
    While I agree that the prices are high, they're not out of line with what you'd pay at the Laughter Lounge or for any of the main shows at the Cat Laughs or the like.

• Advertisement

SlimJ wrote: »
    In fairness, the Better Value you speak of is only available if you're interested in seeing Irish comedians. A festival like this is necessary to pull in some of the foreign acts that have been mentioned in this thread.
    While I agree that the prices are high, they're not out of line with what you'd pay at the Laughter Lounge or for any of the main shows at the Cat Laughs or the like.

The Cat Laughs is overpriced too but there are generally much bigger names there. I don't see many names in the Carlsberg line-up that you couldn't see in any Dublin venue regularly. There are no top line performers anyway. The Laughter Lounge is pricey aswell although it seems to draw more from work crowds whose company or social clubs are paying. You also get some free food and drink (or cheap drink) quite regularly too.

Kilkenny has more of a festival feel to it. You can mingle with the comedians, great choice of restaurants, open air events and it takes over the entire city. The Carsberg Event is just an excuse to herd a load of gullible Irish people into a pen where their wallets and purses can be conveniently lightened.

Oh, by 'festival' standards I agree- Kilkenny can't be beat. However, after checking Carlsbergcomedy.com, I see that this one is actually not a festival but a carnival. So festival standards do not apply. Carnival standards do. :pac:

(I'm also not gonna complain any more about either one 'cause I'd kick a nun down a flight of stairs to be booked at either of them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

SlimJ wrote: »
    (I'm also not gonna complain any more about either one 'cause I'd kick a nun down a flight of stairs to be booked at either of them.)

amazing logic! and true too!

Reg D Hunter is doing it , he'd be good. the problem is finding the double set you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Some of the most respected names internationally in alternative comedy are playing and would have no reason ever to come to Ireland before this show, much like how Louis CK played last year. Maybe some people don't know about them like I know about them? It's hard to judge on the internet how savvy some people are. Doesn't seem like it's the right cup of tea for some people, grand, guess they won't go.

Myself and my brother are going to Eugene Mirman and Neil Hamburger if you're about Mr Elliot and fancy splitting a panini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KraftwerkOrange

I'm thinking of going to a few of the shows this year, despite the price, because there are some comedians that very rarely come to Ireland who are going to be there. Just wondering how likely it is that I'll be asked for ID. I look quite young for my age, but I won't be buying any alcohol or anything. The only form of ID I have is my passport and I don't like to bring that places in case I lose it. Am I going to need it for sure?

Anyone go Thurs or Fri?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

inisboffin wrote: »
    Anyone go Thurs or Fri?

Went on Friday to see Andew Maxwell. Unfortunately he got tanked up and was in no shape to perform, and only lasted 10 minutes or so. Not a highlight.

• Advertisement

Was working it yesterday so thought I could slip into loads between shifts..just managed to see teeeeny bits of a few sets tho..:(
    Caught a bit of Ardal O' Hanlons and it was not on fire but he was good. Audience loved it.

Advertisement