Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Design course

Options
  • 22-05-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I’m studying Computer Science at the moment, but I’m hoping to do a course in graphics design when I’m finished here. Anyways, I was wondering what courses would be out there that would suit me, preferably a one year course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

What area of graphic design do you want to get into?

Print
    Web
    Packaging
    Digital
    Artistry
    Page layout
    and others

What do you want to do in graphic design?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

I really dont know!! I need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

There's not that much out there really, but maybe a master in Multimedia might be a starting point in that direction. Though obviously you'll be at a disadvantage to someone's who spent 4 years studying graphic design.

These courses could also help too.
    http://www.madartstudio.com/web-design-class.html
    http://www.madartstudio.com/art_classes.html
    It might be worth looking into certs in Graphic Design. Design is such a different way of thinking than comp science that you need to try get into that mode. Learn decent layout & typography, as well as brushing up on your drawing and illustration.

In the mean time, maybe do some drawing night courses, or look at the Easter/Summer short course NCAD does. That might be a nice & fun way to dip your toe into the water with design.

Also, since you're doing comp science, try volunteer to do websites for clubs/societies friends & family as a way to give you an excuse to do design. Also, learn Illustrator and start designing posters for clubs & socs in your college too. There's no better way to learn than just doing it and if you can also compliment that by checking your library for graphic design books that could be a good start too.

Thanks for the advice so far. Now I really dont mean to sound rude or anything but most people here will have a wealth of knowledge on this topic and since I need help (asap!) could you guys please also offer some advice aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

I think you need to find out what type of graphic design you want to do.

• Advertisement

I think you need to find out what type of graphic design you want to do.

Well I am very big into motorsport and I have heard that Graphics Design is used in this area (for designing cars I guess) so we could start with that for ideas on what I could do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Haha, this is strange, I just finished a 4 year Computer Science degree and I am also thinking of going back and starting again at a Visual Communications degree/Graphic Design.

It seems that the 3 degree-level options are IADT, DIT and NCAD. I am probably going to try and drop into these three colleges and see if there is anyone I can talk to about starting again.

As someone said already, it's very difficult to shift over from the Computer Science frame of mind to the design frame of mind. I might follow their advice and sign up for some sort of illustration/drawing course as I haven't drawn since I was a kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

bm365 wrote: »
    Well I am very big into motorsport and I have heard that Graphics Design is used in this area (for designing cars I guess) so we could start with that for ideas on what I could do...

Okay, if I got this correctly, you'll actually not so much want to go into graphic design per se, but more 3d Visualization. If that's the case you might want to look at taking up some 3d package and also go on a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i dropped out of 4th year comp sci to do digital media in bcfe.

Best
    Move
    EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 madchris07

does anyone know where there would be a course (in Ireland) which would train you to apply graphics and window tints to cars and general sign making :D

• Advertisement

Decals and the like?

Um... not off hand. Have you got drawing skills? If not, you should think about going to art college - then progress form there.

no just junior cert art and computer experience

madchris07 wrote: »
    no just junior cert art and computer experience

Right, Well, if you want to get into art as a profession (eventually) the you'll need to get on a foundation course. Then progress on through art college. If however, you only want this as a hobby kind of thing - then practice your drawing, and do up some designs. There could be a few summer courses in your area... I mainly work on the Web side of things so I can't really say how you'd do decals, etc.

That said, one of my students (who I teach Combatives to), is a sign writer by profession, he does decals also. He did a sign up for my club recently. So I'll ask him and see what he says about getting into it. I won't be seeing him until Sunday tho', as that's my next class.

Rob.

thank you for helping
    nice to know theres still helpful people amongst this recession

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Does anyone know somewhere that does a course in design that focuses on typography and print? I love doing poster and magazine layout. Preferably in Dublin but I'd like suggestions for anywhere in the country.

Thanks!

Baggio... wrote: »
    Okay, if I got this correctly, you'll actually not so much want to go into graphic design per se, but more 3d Visualization. If that's the case you might want to look at taking up some 3d package and also go on a course.

Thanks! Anyone know of any courses in this?

bm365 wrote: »
    Thanks! Anyone know of any courses in this?

Not off hand to be honest... There's a course in Ballyfermot College. Better still, pop on to the animation section - I'm sure you'll get an answer there. As 3d and animaiton tend to go hand in hand these days.

Talked to my m8 for you.

The way he got into doing signs and decals - he went and did a FAS course in CAD (computer aided design). So might be a good idea to have a look what's available on the FAS website. Hope it helps.

Rob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement