Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homevision broadband/phone/tv

Options
  • 22-05-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Was driving through Coolaney village and saw a sign that said Homevision is now available in this area:
    http://www.homevision.ie/

Anyway ever heard of them before?

I would be surprised if we could get it in Coolaney as so far all we can get is fastcom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Did I hear that you have no broadband in your new house and had it in your old house yet you have just moved a little distance and still living in the same area.

Sorry, I have never heard of Homevision, says they offer up to 20MB, but doubt that would be achieved in Coolaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We were waiting on Fastcom to get us connected again. So we are up and running now:D

We phoned Homevision it turns out they can't provide broadband to Coolaney, only phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

magnumlady wrote: »
    We were waiting on Fastcom to get us connected again. So we are up and running now:D

We phoned Homevision it turns out they can't provide broadband to Coolaney, only phone.

I put a Coolaney number into their website "line Check" and it claimed that 7Mb broadband and phone service were available.
    This seems to be the response no matter which area you test!

Essexboy wrote: »
    I put a Coolaney number into their website "line Check" and it claimed that 7Mb broadband and phone service were available.
    This seems to be the response no matter which area you test!

That's what it said with our number on the site...but when you ring them it turns out it's a 'mistake'.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I can't get broadband at all but according to their website, I can avail of up to 7mb broadband!! But I suppose 41kbps does come under "up to" 7MB broadband, doesn't it? :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

magnumlady wrote: »

I had serious connection difficulties with Fastcom last month. For over 2 weeks, it was impossible to get on the net at peak times, ie., 6pm-12pm and all day at the weekends.

I e-mailed them 3 times without any response & they only got back to after 2 weeks, when I threatened to cancel my direct debit. When they did eventually get in contact, it was like listening to an episode of the "I.T. Crowd"... "is your router plugged in? Can you check the wires for me?".

You'd think that during a recession, keeping the customer happy would become a key asset to keeping a business going.

We've had similar problems with them on occasion, I think they sign too many people without upgrading the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 4ankie

Some HomeVision signs have recently appeared in the Village where I live(Ballymore, Westmeath) I know having spoken to Eircom engineers that Eircom have no intention of delivering broadband to the village for at least another 18months, so I was interested to find if Homevision could deliver it first and also how, as the local exchange is not broadband enabled.
    I looked on their website and I performed the line check which informed me I could receive 7mb broadband. Then I tried entering "044 abcdef" and wow I could still avail of 7mb broadband.
    Annoyed at this I waited until their lines reopened after the weekend and called sales only to be told NO, I can't get broadband as Eircom have not upgraded the exchange but I could avail of their phone service. Hmmm I'm not impressed, looks like I'm stuck with Lastmile for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

+1 for Fastcom's poor service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pablolog

and 7mb broadband and they also givin me wireless router free, so I think that if homevision is available in Ballymote so in cooloney also,but may I be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had serious connection difficulties with Fastcom last month. For over 2 weeks, it was impossible to get on the net at peak times, ie., 6pm-12pm and all day at the weekends.

I e-mailed them 3 times without any response & they only got back to after 2 weeks, when I threatened to cancel my direct debit. When they did eventually get in contact, it was like listening to an episode of the "I.T. Crowd"... "is your router plugged in? Can you check the wires for me?".

You'd think that during a recession, keeping the customer happy would become a key asset to keeping a business going.
    I heard someone refer to them as treaclecom before. Made me laugh. But yes fastcom's "broadband" is woeful. Slow speeds, constant and extremely frequent disconnects make the service unusable.

pablolog wrote: »
    and 7mb broadband and they also givin me wireless router free, so I think that if homevision is available in Ballymote so in cooloney also,but may I be wrong

We can't get any broadband through the phoneline in Coolaney so are stuck with Fastcom or maybe this company(if you could afford the installation cost):
    http://www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie/basic.php

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm with Fastcom nearly 2 years and the service and speed is way better than when I lived in Sligo and used Eircom. I'm in Achonry and have line of sight to the Coolaney mast a couple of miles away. There's nothing obstructing the signal - trees, farm building etc so if anyone has problems check this out for yourselves. I have a very important point for people with connection problems and speed issues
    Check your router!
    I build my own PC's and have good I.T. knowledge, when I joined Fastcom I initially got a Netgear router. Fastcom even suggested a Netgear router, about 10 months ago I started having intermittent problems with connections, lag, loss of connection etc. This went on for about 4 months, I troubleshooted everything. Despite my checks on the router detecting nothing I had a 'feeling' about it. I wanted to expand my home WiFi network so I wanted a more secure/powerful router. I got the new router and I've never looked back in the last 6 months. No connection problems, no speed problems etc. If this hadn't of worked I would have left Fastcom. So check your routers folks because they can be the source of all evil. For anyone that's interested my new router is a D-Link: model = Dir-655 it's a great piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

basquille wrote: »
    +1 for Fastcom's poor service.

-1. Fastcom are fantastic imo.

Nothing to do with the router here medicman.
    My hubby is in I.T.
    Fastcom haven't been too bad in the last two years (although on occasion it has been very slow).
    Before that though it kept cutting out for hours and sometimes days. We used to have to keep phoning them and it was usually a fault with the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've had to endure their "superb support" recently.

Every time I've rang them, I've been put through to an answering machine and left a short message and number to call me back on.

Rang them on Monday.. still waiting! :mad:

basquille wrote: »
    I've had to endure their "superb support" recently.

Every time I've rang them, I've been put through to an answering machine and left a short message and number to call me back on.

Rang them on Monday.. still waiting! :mad:

That is pretty bad, what I failed to mention in my post was that when I was having problems with the connection - they were no help at all. Luckily I sorted it out myself but the crap thing is, if I hadn't succeeded there is no other ISP offering a service in my part of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think its important to realise that every broadband operator has problems at some time or another. My mate in dublin is with BT, his mate is with eircom in dublin, when using those services they have had various issues just as regular as is in this thread with folk using fastcom.

Ive had fastcom for 3 years, yes, there has been problems on occassion but i get it sorted almost straight away. I live 4 miles from town so if i got any problem i go into the fastcom office and speak face to face, the problem gets resolved. I got an engineer out this time last year and he did all his tests and was flumoxed as to the problem of the slooooooooow connection, he swapped the dish on the roof with one from his van and instant success.

Last saturday the power went out and the answer phone message said they knew about it and it got sorted. Only a month ago the power went out in our area and we were sitting here by candlelight on a saturday night. Things happen.

I have no problems with fastcom personally, when i was in dublin i had just as many issues with providers there and they took alot longer to get sorted out. If you have a problem and your in town go in and see them, ive been in there 3 times in total, once to get a new router lead and twice to get connection problems worked out, never spent more than 2 mins in the office.

The last post makes a valid point - that all ISP providers have problems of one sort or another. I would like to add that if you compare the level of service, speeds etc, offered in mainland Europe to what we get here. Then it's clear that what we have is plain **** in comparison.

Advertisement