Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried accupuncture?

• 22-05-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Has anyone tried accupuncture when trying to conceive? I am just wondering if anyone has any success with it. Had my first treatment last week and I am taking chinese herbs prescribed by my accupuncturist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I did accupuncture when we didn't get pregnant in a year or so of trying. It helped me regulate my cycle (I used to have long luteal phases), and made me ore relaxed, but it didn't work and we eventually had fertility treatment. There does seem to be something to it though, I know several fertility clinics, including the one I went to, who have accupuncturists on staff or do referals to same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

One of the 'side effects' of accupuncture is the 'relaxation' stage. Pressures, which can be hidden or overt and the pressure to concieve if difficult is severe, can be alleviated by accupuncture.

However, try to get driven to and from therapist as stress of driving could ruin the earlier benefits.

in a nutshell, it can work.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

There's no doubt it works for some and doesn't for others - like everything I suppose. I am aware of couples whom it didn't help with but ...

My personal experience.

We were trying for a baby for nearly 3 years. We'd been through everything, went to the fertillity clinic, got all tests done including a laporoscopy which found a slight case of endomitriosis but not enough to stop conception. That was the only thing found in countless tests. We were advised by the clinic that we would have to look towards IVF treatment but in the mean time to try acupuncture because it had been known to help and was recommended in conjunction with IVF.

My wife started a course of acupuncture which was never finished because she fell pregnant 5 weeks later. We've mentioned this to two other couples who both fell pregnant within 2-3 months after years of trying too.

It may be something as simple as helping relaxation, it may be something more than that but it worked for us and the others so it's definitely worth a try out. :)

Advertisement