Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa Night in Dublin?

Options
  • 22-05-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Just an idea here but was thinking about organising a league in an xbox cafe.
    It would be exactly the same as an online league except that everyone
    would be in the same room.
    In these cafe's everyone has an xbox and a live username eg xboxNo22,
    everyone can pick an xbox join the league and play the games as if
    they're online.

The league would organise it's self, yellow cards would accumulate and
    red cards too would carry over.
    We could put everyone's name into a hat, and everyone has their 3 team
    preferences.
    Maybe we could have a jar and it's a 5e entry fee or maybe the first
    one will be free and just see how it goes.
    I have about 5 or 6 friends who'd be interested in it.

If 10 people show up then that means everyone would have 3hours worth
    of games! (5mins a half usually last about 15/20mins)
    So we'd have to start early, maybe 5/6/7pm.

There's an internet cafe on liffey st that have xboxes and the rates
    are reasonable a few euro per hour.
    Might even get a discount if we know in advance how many people will be going.

Everyone would have to bring their own copy of fifa as the place only
    has 3 or 4 copies.

Just trying to get a feel for how many people would come(if any) and
    if they'd bring any friends etc....

Also open to suggestions on how to make it run smoother or ideas on
    how to make it better?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its a nice idea....but its not practical. The simple fact is that people can play with leagues from the comfort of their own home....for free. Yes, the banter and fun is better in real life but it would hard to organise.....and would be expensive. Can't see it taking off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

That it?
    One reply saying no i'd rather stay at home.
    Ouch fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

asharkman wrote: »
    That it?
    Ouch fair enough.

I'd love to join you in that. Had a similar idea myself which a few mates are interested in.

Only problem is turning that interest into commitment.

My idea was to have PS3's and Xbox 360's. And also Pro Evo and FIFA. When you're at home, you play on the console and game of your choice.

Spreads your appeal to picky gamers. Because we found there was too much division between Pro Evo and FIFA. And then again between PS3 and Xbox. So I think the idea of you choose your game and console of choice for your home game got a lot more people interested than just saying, right we're playing FIFA on Xbox.

If you're really into doing something like this, give me a shout. I'm running my business Xeon Gaming full time. And we could work something out with you to help this happen.

That sounds like a plan, I was thinking keep it as simple as possible for the first one maybe 10/15 people one console xbox or ps3 and one game fifa.
    We should defo make it happen. How does Xeon Gaming work?

Well we've now got the use of Karma in town for gaming on Thursdays from around 5pm until 11pm.

It's a lovely little bar. MAP

And they have all bottles of beer at E3.

We also have two 40" tv's and two Xbox 360's + two Playstation 3's.

So if anybody is interested in a FIFA night, we can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

That it?
    Ouch fair enough.
    That's the online generation of gamers for ya.

I don't see how it's expensive for a Dublin gamer to attend an event in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It's unfortunate but people (in Ireland particularly) seem put off by a live event...Idea sounds cool and I much prefer offline stuff myself. Can get a better atmosphere, meet people, etc. Especially great if you can get people to stick around rather than jet off like sore losers (as I told koHd.....without the losers part :D).

Unfortunately people seem happier playing away on Live - but then a league is organised and ends up with walkovers, people not playing, etc. In saying that, FutureGuy has organised some great leagues.....and even they have been hit by people not playing after dropping down the table.

/sigh

You're probably even better off keeping it quite small - more managable...and then you can build it from there. Sometimes people need the draw of cash prizes (/sigh) rather than the banter, community aspect and bragging rights that could be associated with an event.

🤪

I was thinking along the lines of a winner stays on system instead of an actual league. This is the system we've all played at home and it's the easiest to manage.

E2 to play. If you win and stay on, you don't pay again.

Each consecutive win is counted as a point.

Eg. if I win and stay on winning 6 consecutive matches, I have 6 points. And that is the score to beat.

Then Sabre comes on, wins 7 in a row and has 7 points. So I pay to get on again and win 2 in a row. So now I have 8 points.

Working on the system right now. Looking at making bonus points for knocking a good player off a winning streak.

Eg. I won 6 in a row, then Sabre beats me, he not only gets the 1 point for the win, but also 2 bonus points for knocking somebody off a long winning streak.

Should have the system worked out by the end of the day.

Definitely much more practical than going with a standard league set-up.

koHd wrote: »
    Well we've now got the use of Karma in town for gaming on Thursdays from around 5pm until 11pm.

That's some awesome work there dude, weekdays are pretty much out of the equation out for me it would really only be the weekend that I'd be able to go. But that's some good work.

The winner stays on thing is good, only thing is if you have somebody dominating and winning all the games it might not be so good.
    Defo worth giving a try.

As an alternative
    I was thinking for a league to join you could pay 10e.
    If there's 10 people then winner gets 40e
    2nd place get's 25e
    3rd 10e
    4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th get 5e each back or something like that.

I figure that way people would keep playing until their last game to get a bit of cash back. There'd be like a relegation battle to see who doesn't get the fiver.

Wonder if that place would be up for a sat afternoon kinda thing?

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate but people (in Ireland particularly) seem put off by a live event...Idea sounds cool and I much prefer offline stuff myself. Can get a better atmosphere, meet people, etc. Especially great if you can get people to stick around rather than jet off like sore losers

Yea it's a bit mad alright, considering when i was back in college these things were a doddle to organise i'd have like ten people in my house playing pro evo on the PS2 it'd take bout 16hours to get the league played but now everyone's working and separated it's so tough!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate but people (in Ireland particularly) seem put off by a live event...Idea sounds cool and I much prefer offline stuff myself. Can get a better atmosphere, meet people, etc. Especially great if you can get people to stick around rather than jet off like sore losers (as I told koHd.....without the losers part :D).

Unfortunately people seem happier playing away on Live - but then a league is organised and ends up with walkovers, people not playing, etc. In saying that, FutureGuy has organised some great leagues.....and even they have been hit by people not playing after dropping down the table.

/sigh

You're probably even better off keeping it quite small - more managable...and then you can build it from there. Sometimes people need the draw of cash prizes (/sigh) rather than the banter, community aspect and bragging rights that could be associated with an event.

Completely agree here sabre001. The main problem in organising live events on a regular basis (and I have put in alot of research into it) is that you need one or two arrogant idiots to spoil for everyone else. You may get 20-30 players on the first night, then wonder why 70% of them drop out the next week. It's because of the idiots that make up the other 30%.

I was in Game a few weeks back and they were running a Fifa tournament. Completely put me off EVER playing FIFA live again. Many of them were arrogant showboaters who rub their superiority in at every opportunity. They used all the cheap tricks to score. I told one of them as much.

Met one or 2 other players afterwards who found it to be a very negative experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Problem is, these ego showboaters actively seek weaker players out to boost their ego. Its terrible. You should be just as humble in victory as in defeat. A bit of banter is one thing, but being a prick for the sake of it will get you punched in the face. And rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Completely agree here sabre001. The main problem in organising live events on a regular basis (and I have put in alot of research into it) is that you need one or two arrogant idiots to spoil for everyone else. You may get 20-30 players on the first night, then wonder why 70% of them drop out the next week. It's because of the idiots that make up the other 30%.

I was in Game a few weeks back and they were running a Fifa tournament. Completely put me off EVER playing FIFA live again. Many of them were arrogant showboaters who rub their superiority in at every opportunity. They used all the cheap tricks to score. I told one of them as much.

Met one or 2 other players afterwards who found it to be a very negative experience.

I've found that people are more arrogant online than offline with a larger license to act like a prat in an armchair at home. There are exceptions, offline: I usually enjoy matching up against arrogant players because they're usually very mentally-weak players.

The worst type of player is someone who complains non-stop about "cheap" play. It's okay if it's legitimate: a glitch which lets you score automatically near the half-way line but not for general play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    The worst type of player is someone who complains non-stop about "cheap" play. It's okay if it's legitimate: a glitch which lets you score automatically near the half-way line but not for general play.

I dont compain about people using these tactics. If thats how fifa is played at this level, away they go. It makes for a boring game, of which I do not care for.

Back on topic everyone. OP I suggest you keep this close to invite only, the boards players are all spot on!

That's some awesome work there dude, weekdays are pretty much out of the equation out for me it would really only be the weekend that I'd be able to go. But that's some good work.

The winner stays on thing is good, only thing is if you have somebody dominating and winning all the games it might not be so good.
    Defo worth giving a try.

We tried it out for the laugh and it was seriously brilliant. We done it with Pro Evo though. And there was one player that was much better than everyone and stayed on for ages. But this created a great atmosphere and everybody was gettin stuck into supporting players against him to knock him off. And when he was knocked off the celebration was like a real champions league final match heh.

That's what I love about winner stays on. Everybody is watching the same matches and creating a great atmosphere.

We done a standard cup format in Xtreme before with 16 of us and that was nowhere near as fun as the winner stays on. Simply because everybody was off playin their own matches and couldn't watch the other games. Creating a real disjointed feeling to the competition.
    As an alternative
    I was thinking for a league to join you could pay 10e.
    If there's 10 people then winner gets 40e
    2nd place get's 25e
    3rd 10e
    4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th get 5e each back or something like that.

I figure that way people would keep playing until their last game to get a bit of cash back. There'd be like a relegation battle to see who doesn't get the fiver.

Wonder if that place would be up for a sat afternoon kinda thing?

Karma are definitely not up for letting us in on a Friday or Saturday. They're really busy those nights.

But, we have another project in the line that could open something up for your idea there.

We're in talks about getting the lease on a basement in Temple Bar. If all goes well, we'll be setting up our HD Tv's and consoles in that basement and could make it available for use for these kind of FIFA events. This Basement would be open 7 days a week from 9am until 6pm.

Working on a pricing scheme right now to help us keep it open. And also keep it safe from trouble makers and thieves.

A paid membership system covers all those areas. So we're just working on a pricing system that will help cover the costs of having the basement.

Nothing is set in stone yet. But if we get enough members, this could be as little as E10 a month per member for unlimited use of the basement.

But of course, if numbers are low, then unfortunately the price will have to reflect that :(

So nobody is even the slightest bit excited about a gaming basement in Dublins city centre?

Just me then!? :cool:

Going to try sort this out later tonight...

Sorry dude, between classes and work I can't get out midweek!

So nobody is even the slightest bit excited about a gaming basement in Dublins city centre?

Just me then!? :cool:

Going to try sort this out later tonight...

Any one up for a few games in town on wed or thursday night?

It's a lovely little bar. MAP

Any one up for a few games in town on wed or thursday night?

We also have Sundays in that bar.

But if people wanted a Friday or Saturday we're coming to an arrangement with Isaacs Hotel in Dublin city centre. Would be more costly, but worth it.

Check out; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055618091

Advertisement