Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Fast speeds !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

We're not in Korea and it's not 2012. :)
    if only it were and we were though... what a life that would be...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I don't work for 3, no idea how I get those speeds , but I'm glad I got them LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Someone mentioned South Korea.

My 'Korea Telecom' speedtest...

479732831.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shinto wrote: »
    Someone mentioned South Korea.

My 'Korea Telecom' speedtest...

Very respectable, what is that on FTTH or cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Looks like cable. It's technically possible on DOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0 if you have enough channels and HFC (FTTC but with DOCSIS coax rather than copper pairs to house) or cable serves few enough people (i.e. UPC can actually do that today in some places, Digiweb Metro Wireless can do it if there few users on the channel and you had a special package! Metro can in theory run 18 downstream channels at one mast sector, though no current Comreg licence permits it). The Low upload speed suggests Cable, even DOCSIS 3.0 with HFC that would be close to a maximum upload, as DOCSIS 3.0 I think only bonds downstream channels (up to a max of about 225Mbps per user).

Real Life Metro today Saturday @12.11pm
    479824228.png

You can see my upload is only a bit less than 1/3rd. My download about 1/9th, so with 1/10th as many users I could have those speeds :) On Wireless!

Irelands Average speed test is about 3.5Mbps down and about 0.76Mbps upload. Most of the top ISPs in Ireland on Speedtest.net are running cable. They can increase speeds up to x10 for everyone by re-jig the network.

DSL in contrast can only do very high speeds at < 800m. Taking the AVERAGE line length and length of lines, no matter if you have VDSL or ADSL2+ about 85% to 90% of phone lines are short enough for 1Mbps DSL or better. On average the speed would be about 3Mbps even with best xDSL methods. Only people very close to exchange or on a FTTC can get VDSL 100Mbps speeds.

The future (for universal Broadband) has to be a mix of
    DOCSIS Cable via HFC,
    VDSL/ADSL2+ via direct, repeater cabinet fed with bonded DSL, or FTTC feed
    Some FTTH.
    Some Fixed Wireless (which unlike mobile can be as good as Cable/DSL). Fixed wireless can outperform mobile LTE by up to x20.

LTE, Mobile WiMax, 3G/HSPA are not Broadband Solutions and never will be.

There will be about 3 tiers depending on location (actual real peak time user speeds):
    100Mps + speeds
    15Mbps to 45Mbps (longer Cable runs, longer VDSL/ADSL2+)
    3Mbps to 12Mbps (Longest xDSL often via repeater, Fixed Wireless).

At best if you had 4x as many cells as there are now, LTE could only deliver about 1Mbps at normal times. Its fabled 100Mbps is shared and only reaches that speed in < 5% of area).

Update: I think Digiweb's speed test server is a bit overloaded. I get this from Airwire Galway (which usually is similar to heanet download speed)
    479832132.png

Obviously with that performance on a regular Wireless package, 45Mbps/3Mbps is very possible on regular cable. (i.e. even without DOCSIS 3.0 downstream bonding).

• Advertisement

Regarding High Speeds, this is interesting

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-05-06.2123.0

Go on, vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

d22ontour wrote: »
    Seeing as the 3 superthread vanished and seeing 3 employees posting speeds that their customers will never achieve speedtests makes the company look even more useless than normal if such a thing was possible.

Were we all supposed to go ,wow, 3 have some uberhax broadband speeds or something ?

:confused:

Most people seem a bit confused, this is not ADSL, Cable, FTTH nor nothing like that. This is just the kinda speeds you will get when you connect through a 100 mbps or GigE link to the ISP backhaul directly. My guess that the company he works for has a GigE or something bigger (to whoever the ISP is) that's where he is running the speedtest from. Speeds are not fake, they are real, and you could be much faster speeds if you the ISP would not use that particular link to connect to the test server.

The speeds are hosted in speedtest.net because they were probably old test, but they are still real.

Hutch is upgrading their network, as it has been said before, I have been told that Hutch's new network will be BT's. This network is not available yet to Three customers or employees, is still in testing phase..

So, they either work for BT or their company uses their network to connect to the internet...

maybe???

Yep.
    And even so if a user can get this the routers are misconfigured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Still, 92mbps up would make you a very, very VIP uploader at TPB :)

Advertisement