Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 week old wants to nurse all the time

Options
  • 22-05-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭

I know feeding a newborn baby is a 24 hour job, but my poor girlfriend is breastfeeding him almost constantly (for 5 hours straight last night) He is isn't always feeding, a lot of the time he just suckles, and dozes for a few minutes at a time, but when she tries to put him to sleep, he panics and cries as though he is hungry again.

when he does get to sleep at night he sleeps for 3 or 4 hours at a time, but during the day he wants to nurse at every waking moment and doesn't really sleep during the day.

She doesn't want to give him a soother but she can't feed him all the time either (he was feeding so much that started projectile vomiting last night)

I think she should express some milk so that I can feed him when she gets too tired and we can monitor how much he is actually drinking but we were advised that this can cause 'nipple confusion'

Does anyone have any advice that they can offer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Its hard, I remember it well :(

Sucking is a reflex in babies, BUT consider that he may have wind, either in his tummy or his gut. They tend to want to suckle when they have wind. Does he seem to be a windy baby?

He could also be on the breast the entire time to build up the supply. They go through growth spurts at 3, 6 and 12 weeks and tend to feed constantly around those times, but if he was a big newborn then he might need a little more at the moment.

You said he was projectile vomiting, when this happens he is getting too much food. I wouldn't necessarily be worrying about getting him on a bottle to see how much he takes as you can judge if he is getting enough by his weight gain, but it would give your GF a break, breastfeeding is tiring.

It does take 5 to 6 weeks for breastfeeding to settle in. Milk supply can go up and down and mother and baby have to learn to feed that way. After about 5 weeks it suddenly becomes much easier, honest :)

Hope I have been some help. I was brief so if you need me to expand more on any of the points just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Hi,

Your poor girlfriend. It sounds as though he is comfort sucking to be honest. A soother would probably keep him content in between feeds. My little one used to feed a lot at night, almost constantly from 6.30 to 11.30pm, but then like yours, she would sleep a full four hours, have another feed and sleep another four, so I didn't mind so much. As Is that so says, it does settle down after a few weeks. I would be worried that your girlfriend might get sore nipples if he is constantly on the boob. 30 mins on each breast would have them emptied, so she shouldn't really leave him on for longer than that, as it will lead to cracked nipples. I know it is hard, but it does get so much easier. Make sure she eats very well and drinks plenty of water and sleeps when he does. The best way to ensure a good milk supply is for her to be as rested as possible, hard I know with a new born, but tell her to get some good books, dvds and relax on the couch. He will settle in the next few weeks and then she'll be able to plan her day a bit better. what about ringing the public health nurse to get the number for breast feeding support groups in your area. They are great and a good way to meet other mothers locally and they help immensely with feeding and building up her confidence.

Congratulations by the way. Enjoy him, they grow so fast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

My daughter cried constantly in the first week, alway's seemed to be hungry and would vomit all the time. I gave in and gave her a soother i was dead against giving her one but it was the best thing i did she settled and was a much more content baby. The nurse in the hospital advised i give her a soother as all babies have the natural sucking reflex as other posters have mentioned. I wouldn't see a huge problem in giving babs breast milk from a bottle it seems to work for lots of other people. Your GF needs to rest and you will try almost anything if it means getting a few hours sleep or just a break. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Akrasia wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice that they can offer?

You're about to make a load of mistakes that make your life harder that with your second kid you'll look back on and wonder how you made them. This early it's a matter of grinning and bearing a lot with your job being keeping herself in as good a form and condition as is possible. The kid should settle down into a more stable pattern soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

nesf wrote: »
    You're about to make a load of mistakes that make your life harder that with your second kid you'll look back on and wonder how you made them. This early it's a matter of grinning and bearing a lot with your job being keeping herself in as good a form and condition as is possible. The kid should settle down into a more stable pattern soon.

I think it also depends on the babies personality. My first two were great little babies. No 3 is Hard Work. 6 months on.. And he just wants in my arms all the time... Crys in the buggy when out walking and in the car seat when I driving the car:confused: i dont get much of a break...

For the breastfeeding all I can advise is that your girlfriend gets plenty of rest for the first few months.. It can be difficult, but I think that breast feeding is mother natures way of making sure that Mammies sit down and rest after having a baby...

It will take a couple of weeks before things settle down, but believe me it is worth it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

thanks for all your comments, they've all been really helpful. Little Cillian is an enigma. he has been exceptionally good all day today, it seems like a moment is an eternity, not just for the child, but for the parents too, and then it's over so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Akrasia wrote: »
    thanks for all your comments, they've all been really helpful. Little Cillian is an enigma. he has been exceptionally good all day today, it seems like a moment is an eternity, not just for the child, but for the parents too, and then it's over so quickly.

It varies kid to kid. Out guy didn't sleep through the night until 6 months. One of my cousin's kids was doing that from 2 months old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

a) If you really mean projectile vomiting, bring him straight to A&E. If you're using the term loosely, ok, whew.

b) The poor kid's in shock. A week ago he was in a nice warm cosy womb, fed at all times, snuggled up tight as a tick, with the soothing sound of the souffle. Now he's out in rainy freezing Ireland. No wonder he needs comfort.

c) First baby, eh? The ma is probably just as nervous, and they're setting each other off. Don't worry. It's only the first week, if they lounge around in bed and get some rest and get to know each other, they'll be fine.

d) Try fennel tea. It helps to let the milk down.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

luckat wrote: »
    a) If you really mean projectile vomiting, bring him straight to A&E. If you're using the term loosely, ok, whew

I wouldn't be so quick to run to a&e for projectile vomiting i have come across many baby's that projectile vomit in the first few weeks it can be quite normal! Most of the time it's because they are over feeding. My daughter's vomit hit the wall on the other side of the room when she was 2 days old! Scary stuff :(

Advertisement