Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US voltage and using my electrical goods

• 22-05-2009 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi everyone.
    I'm heading to the US next week for three months and just wondering about this difference in voltage business.
    I want to bring my toothbrush charger and camera charger - the toothbrush one is 250V and has one of those shaver plugs so I have it in an adapter to go into our sockets and the camera one is 100-240V but it's a European plug which I won't have an adapter for when I go away.

So, basically, I have an adapter with too high a voltage and a plug that needs a European to US adapter.

Is it easy to come across something for the camera charger when I get over there? I presume it's hard to get something like that here...I can only find adapters for UK to US not Europe to US.

And what am I going to do about this charger that's 250V? I don't think I'll be able to come across a lone toothbrush charger over there...

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm just clueless :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

If the voltage rating on the charger is 100V-250V 50-60Hz, then you can use it anywhere - you just need a suitable adaptor plug. Practically every international airport in the world has everything-to-everything else adaptors.

If its rated as 250V, it just won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Okay, thanks for the info! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Gurgle wrote: »
    If the voltage rating on the charger is 100V-250V 50-60Hz, then you can use it anywhere - you just need a suitable adaptor plug. Practically every international airport in the world has everything-to-everything else adaptors.

If its rated as 250V, it just won't work.

Has anyone used this brand of adapter, the double design is smart but they won't ship here!
    http://www.justsportandleisure.com/Details.asp?PID=18387

edit: never mind, just found it on Amazon's UK site

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

when i was in the states all my electrical devices worked. i just bought a US Adapter in those Euro General stores for €2 and then brought an irish 4 gang plug so could plug in 4 devices, worked like a charm :D

Advertisement