Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

piercing apprenticeship Galway...!

• 22-05-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey I'm Wilma. O_o well what to say...

I'm starting a art course next year in Glaway to build up my portfolio, as I want to be a Tattoo artist. I'd like information on a piercing apprenticeship as I'll be looking for one next year while I'm in college to help me into the industry, I know a fair bit about piercings & tattoos, I study up a fair bit. most of my friends & people they know turn to me for advice on piercings & tattoos.

any advice would be great Thanks...:D

(and before anyone says "get one frist!" I've had my eyebrow done, my left lobe pierced twice and I've just started stretching my lobes, and I've a tattoo)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

So wait... Do you want to get a piercing or tattoo apprenticeship? They're not similar at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Just ask in all the shops I guess, or maybe even take a art course in GMIT Cluain Mhuire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hi,

You want to be a tattoo artist, but want to do a piercing apprenticeship first? Why not focus on building your portfolio and drawing skills and focus on that 100%.

Only way you will get into the industry (regardless whether it's piercing or tattooing) is dedication, showing you aren't just in it 'to be cool' and really want it badly. That's my approach anyway.

Heading into it blind isn't the best approach. Talk to local tattoo artists, show them you are interested and motivated. I wouldn't bother going near piercing if you want to be a tattoo artist. I would say piercers would take offence to you just doing it as an interim if you really wanna ink people in the long run.

Tattooing and piercing are very different, hugely different. 1 thing they do have in common though is that they make people happy with the end results.

Think about it more, decide what you want to do really, then go for it. Neither is something you can jump into head first, if you do will possibly do serious damage to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 IrishMetalGirl

I want to be both, I know they are very different jobs, but it's a dream of mine. trust me I'm not in it to be a "cool cat". it's just what I want. one of the many reason I want both is that a tattoo artist friend of mine was a piercer and became a tattoo artist after 5 years, he's a real big insipation to me. I don't want to just jump into being a tattoo artist I want to go with piercings frist and if I feel comfortable enough I'll start training as a tattoo artist. if I become a tattoo I would give up being a pericer...

(sorri for any miss-spellings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

But they're both so different.

Piercing is not a stepping stone to becoming a tattoo artist. If you do what you plan on doing you will be wasting the time of whoever is training you to pierce. Why waste your time and your potential teacher's time? I don't get it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What Will said.
    You mention that to anyone you hope to take you on and they'll immediately strike you off any list of possibilities that they have. It's wasting both their and your time to be brutally honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

How would piercing make you confident as a tattooist. I know a tattooist who would never pierce someone as the thought of actually pushing a needle through someone scares him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I think it's really bad form that you're considering using piercing as a stepping stone to become a tattooist. If you were really serious about it you'd be more concerned about getting a decent portfolio together and not trying to get a piercing apprenticeship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

you said your friend's an artist and used to be a piercer .......surely he'd be the perfect person to apprentice under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

agreeing with will on this one. pick one. pericing i presume would be quicker to get into if you had the aprenctership

build up your art skills. drawing everyday. drawing everthing and use dif styles.

tis how i started. went to cork to go to crawford art college. went around tattoo shops with my notebooks asking for an aprentership.

got luckly and spend quite a bit of time in tribal inks with jerome. still dont have my machines yet. (someone make cheap ones! likes 20e ones :D) but still just by being in the shop learn tons about tatooing and the business.

a basic day for me in the shop is just hving the banter and smoke with tattooist and person getting tatooed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement