Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to Batch Edit?

• 22-05-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Ok so I'm pretty nifty on Photoshop, I know the ins and outs of alot of things on it. The one thing I'm not sure on is Batch editing, I know of the record action for many photos etc etc but never quite learned how to do it.

Now my question is; are there quicker and easier ways to batch edit, using any software? I recently got Aperture 2 still getting to grips with it.

To start with I'm looking to Batch resize a lot of pictures, for uploading and giving discs to people etc. At the moment I'm using an application called Easybatchphoto its only for resizing it seems to do the job but when its running for some reason everything else on my laptop slows down. Also is there a way to do this on Aperture as well as adding text to multiple photos instead of doing one at a time, like adding a signature or watermark to the bottom of a photo, and whatever else.

Anyone know any better application I could use for this or should I learn the record action on Photoshop.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Irfanview - not pretty or intuitive but once you've learned to harness it - the power is immense. Any batch work I do (typically the resize task) is done in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

+1 for Irfanview

Very useful programme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Batch editing in PS is quite easy. I had "macros" - actions for resizing, framing and even for creating layers in Guy Gowan's style. There is even possibility of creating droplets - you just drag a folder onto the icon on the desktop and everything else will be done automatically.
    If you have skilled in Photoshop and you know what it is going to produce, stay there and spend few minutes doing some google research on the topic. It's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

So I guess, because of the mention of Aperture, you guy know I'm a Mac user. Am I right to presume Infraview is available and will work fine on Mac.

I've no time to download it now but I'll get to it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

So I guess, because of the mention of Aperture, you guy know I'm a Mac user. Am I right to presume Infraview is available and will work fine on Mac.

I've no time to download it now but I'll get to it later.

Meh, Don't think so. Not natively at least. Scrap that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

you could try Automator, its already on all mac's. It does a lot of operations which is great. But in terms of photographs, it can downsize a batch at once, but it can't place text on them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

I use open-source ImageMagick. It's a cross-platform command line tool, very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

Lightroom does everything you mentioned and more. You can choose a photo,then select the others that you want the same,and click autosync. Then every edit you apply to the shot your working on is automatically applied to all the other selected photos. i would presume aperture does the same thing. I upload to flcikr, picasa, face book ect straight from lightroom with plugins , all with one click.You can set up resizing to any size,then with one click of your mouse, every shot you have selected is resized and put in the folder you have chosen,in whatever colourspace you have chosen. Againg, i'd be surprised if aperture didn't do exactly the same thing. For me, a pc user, lightroom is an absolute must have.It makes uploading, resizing , burning to disc and especially printing, easier than I could have ever imagined and I'd be lost without it.
    I believe, when put side by side aoperture apparently has the edge ever so slightly, so perhaps you are just not utilising what is there? i don't mean that in a bad way.When i fist got LR i Hated it.But i bought a book and bit by bit have been blown away by how much it simplifies my workflow.
    i recently did a charity boxing event and took 900 shots,i had the best of them on the web and burnt to a cd for the promoter within 2 hours.That says it all really.
    Lightroom all the way for me, and i reckon i've only scratched the surface of it's real potential... and you can get it for the Mac. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

I would agree with him, Lightroom does everything for me, so aperture should able to do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 web2crawler

Batch edit does not mean batch resize. You should learn advanced psp-scripting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Batch edit does not mean batch resize. You should learn advanced psp-scripting.

Didn't realize I had some of the terminology wrong

Lightroom, I knew there was another program I was overlooking, I heard about this ages ago and it just totally slipped my mind. Can anyone confirm that Aperture does the same things as Lightroom regards multiple image manipulation. I looked up some Aperture tutorials but couldn't find any but anyway I reckon Lightroom is just the ticket for me cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I use Photoshop+Bridge to batch resize.

Select photographs you want to resize in Bridge. The under Tools, Select Photoshop, Image processor and it will open a dialogue box in Photoshop allowing you to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

I use photofiltre for batch resizing. Have done for years, its a great piece of free software that does not hog PC resources.

Advertisement