Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour to propose cutting number of TDs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Im not avoiding the facts. Im just saying that this "reform" is not big enough.

And Id really like to see Labour and the Unions after this is put into practise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

Even though I am a Labour supporter I find this a cynical attempt at votegetting in this Election . There is no specifics at all . I would favour halfing the numbers of TDs and abolishing the Senate but I seriously doubt there will be ANY change .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

turgon wrote: »
    Im not avoiding the facts. Im just saying that this "reform" is not big enough.

Fine.
    turgon wrote: »
    And Id really like to see Labour and the Unions after this is put into practise.

Why? It's not like Labour and the unions are the same organisation. There are links but there are also much stronger links between Labour and the SDLP and they don't influence Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Do not the unions send representatives to Labour meetings?

Yes and to other parties meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Labour have been addressing this (http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/building_a_new_better_and_brighter_future.pdf) do try and keep up.

Well, I'll attempt to "keep up"..

Here is a brief summary:
    1. endorsement of the public sector pay freeze,

Right, good, but like you say it's an endorsement - didn't Fine Gael propose this?
    2.a cap on public sector pay at €200,000,

Might not be a bad idea. I'd like to know more about this though - who exactly are we referring to here? Does this include government ministers, the president, judges etc?
    3.a programme of 1000 redundancies.

A tiny figure in the scheme of things - but a step in the right direction if done correctly.
    4. radical reform in the way that staff are recruited and deployed in the public service.

A meaningless, nothing policy imo. Anyone can say "radical reform" but what do they actually mean by this? Any numbers, anything specific? And will Labour be able, or even willing, to try and push through this in the face of adversity from the unions?

I ask these questions out of a genuine interest by the way, not intentionally trying to be hostile. I'm trying to get out of the "get fianna fail out" mindset I've found myself in recently, and focus more on who we should be getting in.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Well, I'll attempt to "keep up"..

Right, good, but like you say it's an endorsement - didn't Fine Gael propose this?

Might not be a bad idea. I'd like to know more about this though - who exactly are we referring to here? Does this include government ministers, the president, judges etc?

A tiny figure in the scheme of things - but a step in the right direction if done correctly.

A meaningless, nothing policy imo. Anyone can say "radical reform" but what do they actually mean by this? Any numbers, anything specific? And will Labour be able, or even willing, to try and push through this in the face of adversity from the unions?

I ask these questions out of a genuine interest by the way, not intentionally trying to be hostile. I'm trying to get out of the "get fianna fail out" mindset I've found myself in recently, and focus more on who we should be getting in.

The government proposed the pay freeze. For the other points read the document linked to in my post.

And the keep up comment was aimed at Turgon.

Advertisement