Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with new suite landlord provided

Options
  • 22-05-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Recently our landlord decided to replace our suite of mishmash furniture (incredibly comfortable despite mismatching!) with a 'leather suite'. There are many problems with it, namely, its TINY, if you're over 5'7 you have a problem sitting on the couch properly due to it being so low to the ground. The couch is supposed to be a 3 seater but you can just about fit two people on it comfortably. The armchairs are tiny and low to the ground similarly. The 'leather' is cheap and more than likely fake. You can put your fingers inbetween the joining boards of the front of the suite. It is altogether uncomfortable and inadequate. We spend a lot of time in our sittingroom as it is the centre of the house. We asked her if she could remove it we would buy one that would better suit our needs between us. She promptly replied that she paid 500euro for the suite (despite it looking like it fell off the back of a lorry and have NO information anywhere on it regarding safety and flame retardent information which I was pretty sure all furniture had this days) and that we could just not dispose of it.

If the furniture is uncomfortable is it up to her to replace it? Or at least take it away? We don't mind paying for it as obviously she has no problem with it, but we do have to live here. We can't get anyone else in for the spare room (which we always do all the work for ,daft ads etc) because the place is such a hole and in need of a good refurbish. We had a huge problem getting the washing machine replaced before, it took her 3 months to get us a new one.

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

500 quid for a leather suite not surprised its uncomfortable if it was going that cheap.

it wouldnt be an observation to provide "comfortable" seating as who determisn what is comfortable ?

Why not ask to have the old suite back or ask the landlord to remove that one and offer to purchase your own suite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Do you have a fixed term lease?

If not, give notice. The washing machine situation alone would have caused me to take steps to leaving, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

D3PO wrote: »
    500 quid for a leather suite not surprised its uncomfortable if it was going that cheap.

it wouldnt be an observation to provide "comfortable" seating as who determisn what is comfortable ?

Why not ask to have the old suite back or ask the landlord to remove that one and offer to purchase your own suite ?

When she brought it in, we asked her where the seat pads were for the couch and she said 'No no thats it' We looked at her in disbelief. We said to her then it was uncomfortable and she sat on it and said 'Oh I think it's grand' and left.

We did but she said we would have to sell it, to be honest I don't think anyone would buy it, it's a piece of crap. You can get really comfy second hand suites in preloved furniture for 300euro. We're not looking for snazzy furniture, just something we can sit on without getting a pain in our bums :confused:

She seemed very annoyed when we suggested buying one..

Xiney wrote: »
    Do you have a fixed term lease?

If not, give notice. The washing machine situation alone would have caused me to take steps to leaving, actually.

Yeah. I've lived here for 3 years. Everytime someone left and broke the lease I have to sort out finding a replacement. I have to say she did let me pay rent late a couple of months when I was in dire straits but..I almost think because she was nice about that she thinks we'll just take whatever it is and not say anything.

I also showed her the disgusting grout in the shower/bath and explained I got powerful grout cleaner and scrubbed it for hours and it didn't come out. She told me to replace the grout myself???!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry for stating the obvious- but move..... there are shocking numbers of vacant properties out there in perfect condition, at incredibly low rents (most landlords are happy to lower the rent these days- the boot is on the other foot).

If you're not willing to move- the alternate is to pop into Dunnes and buy a few cushions. They're not expensive and they'll give height as well as comfort to your derriere.

I'm not narking- I'm simply pointing out you have lots of different options open to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

soudns liek shes taking the sofa thing personally. I can image here mindset is I did a nice thing for them getting them a new suite and they are throwing it back in my face.

I dunno its hard to tell what shes thinking.

the grout issue she should sort, that said its not a big job to chisel out the dirty grout and regrout. should only take a few hours to do and its probably worth your while doing it yourself since you have to put up with it.

r ethe sofa is there a compramise you could reach maybe some cushins (spelling) would remedy the issue maybe she will agree to that ?

Tell her you'll do the grout but you'll be billing her E100 for your time and extra for the materials.

Or, just move out. Place sounds like a kip, and she sounds like a tool.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sorry for stating the obvious- but move..... there are shocking numbers of vacant properties out there in perfect condition, at incredibly low rents (most landlords are happy to lower the rent these days- the boot is on the other foot).

If you're not willing to move- the alternate is to pop into Dunnes and buy a few cushions. They're not expensive and they'll give height as well as comfort to your derriere.

I'm not narking- I'm simply pointing out you have lots of different options open to you.

I know its a pretty obvious answer to move but I am the only tenant shes had in 5 years whos stuck around for more than a year basically, I am kind of attached to the place I suppose. But also I can't really get accross the crappiness of the furniture. The pleather looks like its ripping itself off the corners and its almost see through.

Secondly cushions won't fix it...very hard to explain lol.. its like sitting on a piece of board with a bit of fake leather over it.. maybe we should just eat a few more marsbars and cushion ourselves from the inside 8-)

D3PO wrote: »
    soudns liek shes taking the sofa thing personally. I can image here mindset is I did a nice thing for them getting them a new suite and they are throwing it back in my face.

I dunno its hard to tell what shes thinking.

the grout issue she should sort, that said its not a big job to chisel out the dirty grout and regrout. should only take a few hours to do and its probably worth your while doing it yourself since you have to put up with it.

r ethe sofa is there a compramise you could reach maybe some cushins (spelling) would remedy the issue maybe she will agree to that ?

The thing is she took away a really comfy 3 seater we sourced ourselves for free to replace the ten years old one that was there before when hippies used to live in the place that was ripped and bloodstained/teastained/drugstained and she had no problem with us replacing it and didn't even ask where the other one went, and took away the good couch without asking..so why should we accept this new one?Also if she wanted the place to 'look' more attractive why not paint the manky walls too instead of hoping a crappy couch would make the place look upmarket . lol :( bLAH!

She says now we can put it up on buy and sell it towards new suite but tbh noone would pay 500e for it in their right mind, she said she only saw a pic of it when she bought it.. i'd buy it for 100blips max..so should we just dump it and buy one ourselves?! Maybe if I put up piictures it'd help but they'd probably do it more justice than it deserves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Mina Loy wrote: »
    I know its a pretty obvious answer to move but I am the only tenant shes had in 5 years whos stuck around for more than a year basically, I am kind of attached to the place I suppose.

If thats the way you feel then you deserve each other, and the uncomfortable couch. Having an emotional attachment to a rented property is absurd and more so when the place does not sound like the most appealing place to live.

Either go look for a new place to rent with a nice couch (and probably cheaper rent) or you dont really have a right to complain!

• Advertisement

If thats the way you feel then you deserve each other, and the uncomfortable couch. Having an emotional attachment to a rented property is absurd and more so when the place does not sound like the most appealing place to live.

Either go look for a new place to rent with a nice couch (and probably cheaper rent) or you dont really have a right to complain!

Thats a bit grumpy of you lol. The place does need a refurb and could be wonderful if it was done. People have emotional attachments to everything and anything-pets, objects and anything that holds memories so it's not so far fetched.., I unfortunately have a life so lets say its more so the hassle of moving which I wouldn't be prepared for. And obviously I'm not going to move out over an uncomfortable couch ,that would just be silly, was just looking for a bit of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Thats a bit grumpy of you lol. The place does need a refurb and could be wonderful if it was done. People have emotional attachments to everything and anything-pets, objects and anything that holds memories so it's not so far fetched.., I unfortunately have a life so lets say its more so the hassle of moving which I wouldn't be prepared for. And obviously I'm not going to move out over an uncomfortable couch ,that would just be silly, was just looking for a bit of advice.

You say grumpy, others might say truthful :rolleyes:

I absolutely would move over an uncomfortable couch. You use that as much if not more then a bed. How about you stand up to the Landlord and say either the couch goes or I do. Landlords have brass necks and sometimes they forget where there bread and butter comes from, you've been a long term tenant and pound to a penny she takes you for granted. Notify her of your intentions to leave and maybe she may have a less flippant reaction to your review of the couch that you and not she must live with and sit on.

If you do not take some sort of action then I will have zero sympathy for you. I'm a seasoned renter, I'm a fair tenant but I can be a LL's worst nightmare should there be a problem..the washing machine broke down in my last apartment, rang the LL who said that he'd send someone over that evening...never happened, after that the LL got 10calls the next day and low and behold the repair man arrived. The machine brokedown a month later with the same problem and the repairman was out the front waiting for me when I got home from work.

Moral is, timid tenants will have to put up with uncomfortable couches :(

I'm a seasoned renter, I'm a fair tenant but I can be a LL's worst nightmare should there be a problem.

hear, hear!

Xiney wrote: »
    hear, hear!

Yeah I agree, 3 months without a washing machine was hell on earth, we were buying one ourselves about 2 months into constant reassurances that one was coming (battling with warranty apparently) and we weren't 'allowed' get a new one until she got a free one back.2 Washing Machines broke down in 2 years but thats what happens when you buy 100e machines I guess!:eek:

I have summoned the courage to text her and say we will be selling it for as much as possible even if thats only 40euro and its a disimprovement on the last suite..

Ee

So anyone interested in a 3-1-1- 'leather' suite possibly assembled by 3 fingered children in Cambodia??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And obviously I'm not going to move out over an uncomfortable couch ,that would just be silly
    Agreed 100%

It would only come into the equation if she got rid of
    a really comfy 3 seater
    that I got myself, as that's being a plain old meanie!

Oh, and did you tell the LL that you got the comfy 3 seater free? If not, it cost you €600, and you want it back.

Do you have a car? If so, keep an aye out at http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=42 and also http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=32 for couches. See nice ones there all the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Another option are the Yahoo Freecycle groups- the Dublin one is particularly active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Recently our landlord decided to replace our suite of mishmash furniture (incredibly comfortable despite mismatching!) with a 'leather suite'. There are many problems with it, namely, its TINY, if you're over 5'7 you have a problem sitting on the couch properly due to it being so low to the ground. The couch is supposed to be a 3 seater but you can just about fit two people on it comfortably. The armchairs are tiny and low to the ground similarly. The 'leather' is cheap and more than likely fake. You can put your fingers inbetween the joining boards of the front of the suite. It is altogether uncomfortable and inadequate. We spend a lot of time in our sittingroom as it is the centre of the house. We asked her if she could remove it we would buy one that would better suit our needs between us. She promptly replied that she paid 500euro for the suite (despite it looking like it fell off the back of a lorry and have NO information anywhere on it regarding safety and flame retardent information which I was pretty sure all furniture had this days) and that we could just not dispose of it.

If the furniture is uncomfortable is it up to her to replace it? Or at least take it away? We don't mind paying for it as obviously she has no problem with it, but we do have to live here. We can't get anyone else in for the spare room (which we always do all the work for ,daft ads etc) because the place is such a hole and in need of a good refurbish. We had a huge problem getting the washing machine replaced before, it took her 3 months to get us a new one.

Any advice??

Buy your own sofa and put hers in storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Or in the other room you can't get a tenant for.

Advertisement