Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom keeps crashing

Options
  • 22-05-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Anyone getting a problem to me as this broadband service is getting worse every week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

its getting worse

signed up for the 7mb package 4 months ago and

today called them and they said my line couldnt hold 7mb

shower of wan kers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Darn it, just posted a thread like this (only a lot more informative). My line won't stay up either, it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Same here it has been happening to me for the last 3 years .it goes down during the day,but mostly at night,from 9:30 onwards(its could drop for 10seconds to 1 hour).

Ive been on to eircom ,i have done all there tests,even dropped to 2 meg for 3 weeks and it was no different.I had noticed the main box on the wall was corroded (green). so i got them to change the main box and he said he did something at the exchange.

But its still the same,its getting worse ,can connect at 160k to 3072k.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 43.50 26.00
    CRC Errors 78 1

What's worse is the fact that it's unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

yea i have magnet 3meg in my old house (ex) ,for 5 years or more has only dropped 3 times in that time and they rang me to tell me the story.
    And i get a ping of 20ms with manget on uk css servers .On eircom 3meg i get a ping of 40-50ms on same servers.

I dont think magnet do that 3meg phone line bb anymore.think they only do fiber now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

Something must have changed. My connection was grand until about a week ago. Since then I can't do anything that requires a constant connection (downloads, streaming video, gaming etc). I have not received any word from Eircom and they told me when I rang them that there was no issues according to them.

Sometimes the connection will stay for an hour or so, other times it drops every few minutes

c0mpliant wrote: »
    Something must have changed. My connection was grand until about a week ago. Since then I can't do anything that requires a constant connection (downloads, streaming video, gaming etc). I have not received any word from Eircom and they told me when I rang them that there was no issues according to them.

Sometimes the connection will stay for an hour or so, other times it drops every few minutes

Exactly!!

That's exactly my problem also.

This is such a pain in the bollocks and I will be changing over to UPC when I move house in December. Eircom just arn't worth the hastle. This is the 3 major problem I've had with them. First problem was they were still charging me for a line I had closed in a previous house, so I was paying double for the first 3 months here. Then they left me with no broadband for about 2 weeks as they claimed it was something wrong with the router, even though I had replaced the router with a new one until they examined their end of it and realised it was something on their end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im haveing this issue on BT as well ironicly my connection droped 2 times while trying to view this post :D

Irish broadband is simply unreliable. No matter what company you're with.

• Advertisement

My broadband has seemed to returned to normal, just managed to upload a 400mb video to youtube without it disconnecting for the first time in about 2 weeks

c0mpliant wrote: »
    My broadband has seemed to returned to normal, just managed to upload a 400mb video to youtube without it disconnecting for the first time in about 2 weeks

Mine can go stable for hours, but then crash when I need it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Can people stop saying that eircom, or indeed the internet, is crashing. This is impossible.

You are losing internet connection. Pure and simple. Maybe instead of ranting, you can describe your setup [provider, router, wired or wireless, etc]. Most of the time the issue can be resolved because it's a problem with YOUR setup, not your provider.

Possible reasons for problems
    * Over congested WIFI points
    * Bad internal cabling
    * Distance from exchange
    * Quality of copper
    * Line of Site [If fixed wireless]
    * Mobile "broadband" is NOT broadband. Don't expect anything other than light browsing and email.
    * Router misconfiguration
    * Malicious software on your computer
    * More

Now, continue the discussion. If you are still having problems, please give a bit more information. This is not the Ranting & Raving forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes indeed. Often continuous drop outs are due to poor snr on the line so the first step is to check your line stats. Line stats are not constant and can disimprove very quickly.

Other things to check say if you are using a wireless network are the presence of other networks on the same channel - other wireless gizmos in the house - tv senders can be a disaster.

If you have problems try and do as much logical and progressive diagnosis as you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I just moved over to eircom recently and was having the same problem, I took off the master socket and re-wired it and it seems to be stable hasn't dropped in a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ossi

ok it the FABULOUS BRILLIANT EIRCOM LAND LINE and i game alot ( day of defeat) it says warning : Cl_flush Entity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ossi wrote: »
    ok it the FABULOUS BRILLIANT EIRCOM LAND LINE and i game alot ( day of defeat) it says warning : Cl_flush Entity

Again, I feel you are a little confused. What makes you think that DOD crashing [which is the error you posted] has ANYTHING to do with losing internet connectivity.

I'm really starting to doubt a lot of people saying that their internet provider is crap if this is the sort of reasoning behind it.

Fact : Your game crashed.

I don't see any other fact that would lead me to believe that it's your internet connection.

When the game crashes, are you still logged into MSN? Can you still surf the web? Can you still email?

Advertisement