Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 or 2 boxers??

• 22-05-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi guys thinking of getting a boxer just wondering does anybody know is it better to get 2 boxers if your at work all day or are they a dog that needs alot of one on one attention

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Like you, a dog left on its own will be lonely, i have to leave my dogs alone while i work but as far as im concerned they keep each other company, 2 dogs is always better than 1 in this case..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

If you working full time and have space and resources to get 2, it is better if there are two as they will keep each other company while you are in work. I have 2 dogs ( got the second one 8 months ago to keep company to our first one) and work full time and dogs are relaxed and love each other ( but it is brother-sister love, they 'fight' and annoy each other at times, but god forbid you separate them, they cant live without each other). BUt again please take into consideration other factors as well: it is more xpensive to have 2
    ( insurance, vet bills, food), space ( two dogs in a small house will really take up space), will you be able to walk them at the same time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daisy121

Hi I have a 3 1/2 year old boxer.... so here’s my experience, get 2 if you’re going to get any. They are not the type of dog that likes to be on their own... they are a real people dogs and can become destructive if let alone.

On researching the breed I decided to get her even though I worked, based on I’d be home at lunch and early in the evening... this didn’t work! I drop her to my mom's for doggy day care in the mornings now, she has the company of both my mother and out family dog and she loves it.

Boxers are a wonderful breed and have such super characteristics... i would not be without her.

Look into it before you go ahead with getting one, male or female? breeder.. this is important in respect to health issues.

if I can answer any other questions you might have, let me know...

hope this helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I'd agree with Daisy - they are 'people' dogs - another dog 'will do' but if they have the option they'll always choose people.

Also true that they can be destructive on their own - actually a bit of an understatement :D I have found with my two that when they are young at least, they need supervision pretty much constantly if there is anything around they can disassemble.

For loyalty, playfullness and affection you won't do much better than a boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daisy121

Bluefrog wrote: »

Also true that they can be destructive on their own - actually a bit of an understatement :D I have found with my two that when they are young at least, they need supervision pretty much constantly if there is anything around they can disassemble.

Ok I was being nice :D .. my boxer has eaten everything from, clothes off the line, kitchen door, skirting boards... oh and let’s not forget my car key!! but i still love her.. so if you can get past all that, they really are super dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

And bear in mind that if you're talking about puppies, than 2 at once can be a crazy amount of work. One is stressful enough.

A bit different if you're talking about rescuing two adult dogs, or 1 adult and 1 puppy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

two dogs is lovely, great company for each other...but.......two pups bought at the same time need a lot of individual training etc otherwise they become too dependant on each other.
    so while i think having two dogs (or more in my case:p) is great, id say get one pup first, do the training etc and then get your second one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I agree wth Spiderdog....2 pups around the same age (of any breed, even different breeds, even different litters) will have to be walked seperately, fed seperately and trained seperately to ensure they grow up independant of each other and able to function confidently without the other....so it really is twice as much work. But, a pup on his own is going to be a very lonely and bored pup. I'd second MoonDancer's suggestion to get one pup, and one dog over 15 months. Perhaps research reputable breeders for the pup and maybe rescue an adult? There are always adult Boxers needing homes, they're becoming a more and more common breed in the pounds and rescues. If you could take a little time off work to help a pup settle in and get the adult a couple of weeks later....that'd be the way I'd do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

There are lots of really well behaved adult boxers with no problems out there that need rehoming that would make ideal pets for you. An pair is great as they do keep each other company. Boxers need a lot of space for exercise. so unless you take an older dog who is past his prime a small back garden isn't really sufficient, and they need long walks to keep up their muscle tone. I have recently taken in two adult boxers from a small garden who will need a lot of exercise and feeding to try and get them fit again.

If you are getting a puppy bear in mind that they need a lot of space for run and play so that they can develop physically and be happy mentally and not develop destructive habits. If the pup is going to be alone most of the day it is best to get two. Even if the second dog is a terrier. They will have someone to play with and cuddle up with. Although they can be left outside in the day while you are not home. Bearing in mind if you have even one puppy, that's a lot of poo and pee in your house while you are house training.

A fully grown boxer eats a lot of food, so factor in weekly cost. Also there are some boxers who have health issues so please don't be tempted to buy the first pup you see. and don't be tempted by low prices. A reputable breeder does not sell their pups cheap. A lot of time and money is spent on vaccination, microchippping , registering, feeding and worming to give them the best start in life.

Not all boxers are manic, they do need training from the start, but they do like company.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

Sorry for dragging up an old e-mail but I just wanted feedback on what you think of this Boxer advertised for sale. Do you think it is really a pure breed. How would I know everything is in order i.e that its legit i.e properly registered fully healthy (vacinated) and chipped etc.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1995663

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Personally i would not touch a breeder/owner selling a dog that advertises him suitable for stud at 9 months old.:rolleyes:

How on earth do they know hes suitable at 9 months?? Hes still a baby and they shouldnt even be contemplating using him for stud until hes fully matured and health tested so please walk away from this person and go and find a reputable breeder which you wont find on done deal:rolleyes:

Also, that dog looks way older than 9 months if you ask me.
    Please contact the IKC for boxer breeders or let me know and i can recommend one for you.
    I would not go near done deal for a dog if you paid me....

Just looked at the ad more closely, there is no way that dog is only 9 months old. Look at the grey on his chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have to say, I agree with Andreac, the first thing I thought when I saw the photos is that dog is older than 9 months. He doesn't look puppyish at all.

Thanks Andrea. I just send you a pm about breeder recommendations. I am trying to source a boxer that is at least 6 months. I will stay away from this deal. I thought it looked suspicious alright, and that maybe the seller is a cowboy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Get 2 they get very lonely on there own

Get 2 they get very lonely on there own

Thanks Islands but the cost of 2 would be a prohibitive factor their. I would have no problem supporting one financially wise in terms of all the vet bills, food, day care etc but 2:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My tuppence worth would be stay away from Done Deal or any 'free ads', either research a proper breeder or go to a rescue, there are loads of boxers in rescues because they were a really popular breed in 'the boom' with people who are now giving them because they can't afford them (or can't be bothered).

Have just got a second dog (well, she's a foster but she's got her paws fairly far under the table at this stage!!) I have to say it's great for my dog to have company and they adore each other but do remember you are doubling the expense - food/vets/kennel fees etc etc

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry for dragging up an old e-mail but I just wanted feedback on what you think of this Boxer advertised for sale. Do you think it is really a pure breed. How would I know everything is in order i.e that its legit i.e properly registered fully healthy (vacinated) and chipped etc.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1995663

When you say this dog looks older then advertised. What age do you reckon it is. Also do you think this may have been born in a puppy farm. Would it be worth delving further into it to try to verify this. I thought puppy farms were illegal:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

billyhead wrote: »
    When you say this dog looks older then advertised. What age do you reckon it is. Also do you think this may have been born in a puppy farm. Would it be worth delving further into it to try to verify this. I thought puppy farms were illegal:confused:

Why so you want to verify this? No i would walk away, no need to even look into it. As i said, anyone who says a dog is suitable for breeding/stud etc at that age hasnt a clue what they are doing and are very irresponsible so please do not go to this person to buy their dog, you are asking for trouble.

Puppy farms are not illegal unfortunately.
    This dog looks at least 4 or 5, no way is it a pup.
    I recommended a breeder already to you so i really would urge you to stay away from done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Are you looking for the dog to be a stud dog? If not and you are looking for a dog who is at least 6 months old check out

http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html

Loads of fab boxers for rehoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 taim

A cautionary tale about donedeal:We got our male boxer on donedeal a year ago, supposed to be registered but no papers since, I'd never give the darling back now so it doesnt really matter that he wasnt registered other than the fact that the seller deceived us. We also bought another boxer for compan for him about 6 months later and the breeders could not have been better. We have 4 other dogs as well, (my mom died and her dogs now see m house as home) but I'm happy with the 'inconvenience' that 6 dogs brings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement