Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child maintenance order

Options
  • 22-05-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Ive issued a child maintenance order to my ex-partner. I was given court date of 6th May and told he would be notified by registered letter. I turned up in court on this date but they said he hasnt signed the registed letter and he didnt show up (not sure if he just wasnt at home when it came). Anyhow it's been adjourned to 3rd June and they'll be sending him notification of this through normal post.

Was just checking if anyone knows what happens if he doesnt show up again? Do they issue another court date?
    What if he just refuses to show up full stop, how can the court decide how much he should be paying me?
    He had told me that he wouldnt be showing up to any court and wont be paying me anymore than €50 a week. We've a 1 yr old child and i really cant live on this as he had originally agreed to €90 a week when we broke up but he keeps reducing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

purple17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive issued a child maintenance order to my ex-partner. I was given court date of 6th May and told he would be notified by registered letter. I turned up in court on this date but they said he hasnt signed the registed letter and he didnt show up (not sure if he just wasnt at home when it came). Anyhow it's been adjourned to 3rd June and they'll be sending him notification of this through normal post.

Was just checking if anyone knows what happens if he doesnt show up again? Do they issue another court date?
    What if he just refuses to show up full stop, how can the court decide how much he should be paying me?
    He had told me that he wouldnt be showing up to any court and wont be paying me anymore than €50 a week. We've a 1 yr old child and i really cant live on this as he had originally agreed to €90 a week when we broke up but he keeps reducing it.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation: I'm a father whose son was taken to the UK by his mum. She has evaded court proceedings and has not returned the summons, which in legalese is a big f00k you to the judge. The judge has adjourned 3 times. He/she can do so indefinitely. My particular judge is going to issue a bench warrant for her arrest. Great---if she ever comes back!

I don't think you've much to worry about. The gardai will arrive at his doorstep and shove him through the court doors if necessary. You just have to be patient. There seems to be a consistent good parent/bad parent dynamic in breakups and unfortunately the father of your child is particularly ignorant.

On a sidenote I pay 75pw (reduced from the original 100) for a 1 year old. How much were you looking for? An agreement can be signed before a commissioner for oaths and the court proceedings can stop.

Contact Ray Kelly at USFI (www.usfi.ie or 014514295): it's for mums AND dads in particularly awkward circumstances.

I'm currently knee-deep in international abduction proceedings. I probably won't see my boy for years. Ray has been a lifesaver, helping me. I HIGHLY recommend him.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

purple17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

If he shows up, the court more than likely won't be too concerned about what you can or can't live on but rather what the Father can afford to pay. Dunno what happens if he doesn't show though. There is no black and white areas arund this unfortunately there are plenty shades of grey though...
    Hope it goes ok for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Klingon, am so so sorry for your situation. This must be heartbreaking for you-and your child. I seriously wonder what people like your son's mother are thinking when they do this.
    I know a guy who was married to a Russian girl and when the marriage ended she upped and took the kid back to Russia.He has been fighting for a couple of years but I think he losing the will to battle. Poor guy is on anti depressants over it.

I hope you get some kind of justice soon so you don't miss out on too many more precious times with your child...

Advertisement