Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Best Film to Game Adaptions

Options
  • 22-05-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Here's a linky:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/the-ten-best-film-to-game-adaptations-1684974.html

Mine are:

1. Goldeneye
    2. Blade Runner
    3. Alien vs Predator
    4. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
    5. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    7. Alien vs Predator 2
    8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
    9. Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    10. Die Hard Trilogy

Admittedly I did cheat as I haven't played SW:KOTOR 2 but I assume it's at least approaching the same level as KOTOR 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

1. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (PC)
    2. True Lies (Megadrive)
    3. Jurassic Park (PC)
    4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (PC)
    5. Die Hard Trilogy (PS1)
    6. Spiderman 3 (PC)
    7. The Lion King (Megadrive)
    8. Aladdin (Megadrive)
    9. Kung Fu Panda (PC)
    10. Toy Story (Megadrive)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll just name some of my favourites off the top of my head, blatantly forgetting a bunch of classics, no doubt. I'm no good at ranking things like this.

Demolition Man (Megadrive)
    Moonwalker (Megadrive)
    Aliens (Arcade)
    Star Wars Pod Racer (N64)
    The Warriors (PS2)
    Spiderman 2 (Xbox)
    Enter The Matrix (PS2)
    Jurrasic Park (Megadrive)
    Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure (Lynx)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh man did I ever love Batman the Movie on the Amiga.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know if I have a top ten, but some good ones:
    Chronicles of Riddick - couldn't care less about the film, maybe thats why the game is so refreshing.
    Toy Story / Aladdin (MD) - ah, good memories.
    King Kong - don't know how this has such a bad rep, but the original Xbox version (360 one is meant to be worse) was a brief but intense and cinematic experience.
    Spiderman 2 - followed by the piss poor Spiderman 3 (aka attack of the QTE). I really don't know how everyone has failed to make an open world game this much fun since.
    Star Wars: Rogue Leader - great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Lucasarts Indiana Jones games too.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Movie tie-in games are virtually always to be avoided. Seems the only ones that are ever any good are those not made to be released at the same time as the movie or those unrelated to the movies per se but set in the same universe - viz: Blade Runner, various Star Wars games, Riddick. Most of the games on that list aren't really movie adaptations I think.

New Terminator game is just another example of crap trying to sell itself on the strength of the movie. Depressingly, it will probably sell a bucketload more than more deserving games.

Oh and regarding AvP -it came years before the movie so its not really a movie tie-in game. It was based on a comic no?

It's nothing new. Even back in c64 days, games based on movies were invariably crap. Now of course, we have crap movies based on great games. What's next? Skin-care products? Fallout for Men, the apocalyptic fragrance.

Somebody, somewhere needs to fired and then killed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

aladdin on the snes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great game - although I always hated the middle puzzle level. I got it as part of the "Hollywood Collection" which is very pertinent to this thread.
    I still remember the cheat for this one too "Jammmmmmm" and the screen would flip...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Spiderman 2, Path of Neo, nearly any Star Wars game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

The Wolverine game > Movie IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Good call.

Had it on the C64. Going by my memory and that video the levels were similar but different.

I loved Terminator 2 no matter what anyone else says.

I think I had Total Recall and Running Man whilst we are at it.

Loved Arnie as a child did I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Aladdin on the Mega-Drive is the only one I can think of that came out with the movie. It was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Admittedly I did cheat as I haven't played SW:KOTOR 2 but I assume it's at least approaching the same level as KOTOR 1.

How wrong you are... :P

KotOR II was terrible in comparison to the first one.

However, I do agree with your list for the most part. Jedi Outcast still remains the best game where you wield a lightsaber, but Force Unleashed comes close!

I really enjoyed the Indiana Jones adventures for the old Amiga.

Lord of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth was enjoyable, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

ET AMIRITE :D

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

noodler wrote: »
    Good call.

Had it on the C64. Going by my memory and that video the levels were similar but different.

Yep. Had it on the C64 before upgrading to an Amiga myself. And the C64 was pretty much spot on with the platform levels... but the vehicles levels on the Amiga were amazingly satisifying.
    King Kong - don't know how this has such a bad rep, but the original Xbox version (360 one is meant to be worse) was a brief but intense and cinematic experience.

Think it had a bad rep on the 360 as it looked bad if you weren't playing it in HD... and many people playing it on it's release weren't what with it being a 360 launch title and not many of us having HD tvs at that stage.

I thought it was great though... the King Kong levels at the end were terrible though... an awful way to end the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought it was great though... the King Kong levels at the end were terrible though... an awful way to end the game.

Yeah definitely felt like that part was rushed through development to reach release date. There is a really bizarre bonus feature though which has an 'alternate ending' in which
    you play Jack's plane, taking down the others to save Kong. He then gets sent back to skull island
    . W. T. F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Path of Neo is a personal favorite of mine, enjoyed the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think it had a bad rep on the 360 as it looked bad if you weren't playing it in HD... and many people playing it on it's release weren't what with it being a 360 launch title and not many of us having HD tvs at that stage.

There was actually a bug in the game where the game was unplayable in HD since it displayed the game too dark. The publisher said to play the game in SD and never released a patch iirc.

Advertisement