Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared Dog, possibly Scarred too.

Options
  • 22-05-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

I recently was left with the job of looking after an aunts dog, but the problem is that it was an outside dog that got beaten pretty badly some years ago (not by the owner), It has since lived outside (with A Kennell) for the last number of years, the owner could never get near it and just had to leave food out for her. Now the owner is departed i need to catch 'Daisy' and bring her to my house. The plan is to set up a run in my house and teach her that not everyone is a dog beating B**stard, does anyone have any tips on how to catch her and train her to be sociable without causing more stress? Also someone said to me that since the owner has died i should get the dog put down as she will only die of a broke heart! i assume thats Bull, but i would appreciate input. I have been giving her treats for the last few days to get her to trust me but this might take a while....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Building trust takes time. You might benefit from the opinion of a behavouralist. Try posting on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ There's a few people there who should be able to give you good advice.

Hope she comes round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 squidge1

All I can say is that my parents took in a dog from a rescue centre over a year ago. When she came to us first she was terrified of her own shadow and 'a broken woman'. With persistance and time, however, she has built up trust and confidence and is now a wonderful part of the family. Initially when she arrived at the shelter, coming from a life of abuse, she apparently behaved similarly to what you have described. So don't give up hope with Daisy just yet! All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

a lovely thing you`re doing.....best of luck:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I think that if you just 'catch her' you're going to set the dog backwards....it will be a relationship that was built on fear and force.
    Do you have the time to just sit with her in the garden for as long as possible a few times a day? If I were in your shoes, and this is just my opinion- I'm no expert!- I'd leave her where she is for the moment (ask a neighbour to just keep an ear open for her at nighttime) Visit her everyday with food and treats. Bring a book to read and just sit there taking no notice of her. It will take some time, but she will eventually start to sit/lay closer to you once she trusts that you're not going to hurt her and that you are the source of nice things like marrow bones. Eventually she'll allow you to make physical contact- but it will be on her terms...let her come to you, don't pressure her, and don't slip a lead on her the first time she gets close enough. Wait til she comes to you of her own accord for a rub before you try that. I wouldn't even take her out of the garden til you're at a stage that you can walk her on a lead around the garden with no problems. When you're at that stage, she'll trust you and look to you for guidance when you take her out to the car.
    I'd say she hasn't been walked in a very long time....
    This is going to be like taming a wild dog, it's going to take a huge amount of patience and gentleness and time.
    Fair play to youicon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Hi Guill
    I think it's great what your doing, not taking the easy option. When I was about 11 I got my first dog and ahe was wild, and would growl at you. It's usual they are like it simply because they are afraid. However we did have her tied up in our shed, can't remember how we got the rope on her. Every day, a few times a day, I went into her with food and water ( just enough food to satisfy her but still keep her wanting, if you give her loads all at once it defeats purpose) and talked to her and eventually she came round and she turned out to be the most wonderful dog.

She needs to overcome her fear that you are going to hurt her. Best of luck and I hope you succeed. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement