Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old trailer, how will I get rid?

• 22-05-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old horsebox that I need to get rid of as it would cost more to fix it up than its worth. Anyone know who might take these? I dont really want to bring random people into where its stored.

And its not towable at present (by me anyway).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

fits wrote: »
    I have an old horsebox that I need to get rid of as it would cost more to fix it up than its worth. Anyone know who might take these? I dont really want to bring random people into where its stored.

And its not towable at present (by me anyway).

Ring up local scrap yards see if they will come out and take it away. Failing this an option I used before with an old car was an angle grinder and broke it down into smaller more manageable parts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would use a Consaw with a metal dish rather than a grinder.
    Horseboxes are not that much material despite the size.
    Unbolt whatever you can and cut the rest up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lenomark

unbolt what u can and then use a 9 inch grinder for the rest if ur going to chop it up, but if your not im sure someone with metal fab experience would take it off your hands for the axle alone there like gold dust for making new home made trailers why not put a free ad on adverts .ie with a photo im sure it will go fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

yeah, you see the thing is the floor and the body on it are grand. The chassis probably is too as it was stored under cover.

It just needs a whole new brake system which would cost over 500 euro. Box is hardly worth more than that. Its too small for my horse as well. Its a Rice Europa.

I wouldnt be taking it apart on my own anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Maybe you could saw a little off the horses legs and teach him to hop out while the trailer was still moving?

• Advertisement

hmm I cant say theres any part of his legs which I'd regard as disposable. But I guess I could make it into an open top affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Sounds to me like that horse box aint too bad at all. There is loads of people out there who like to buy stuff cheap and do it up a bit for their own use. For many people brakes on a trailer that you tow behind a jeep or whatever, is not a big issues anyway (not a queue for people to start and argument about trailer brakes, its been done)

If the floor is still good, the rest of the trailer is probably fine too, in which case you have a saleable trailer on your hands. If you dont want people in around where it is, move it out somehow. Donedael.ie I find is the best site for selling cheap stuff that needs repair, the ad is cheap and it should go quick,

A few extra euro is always welcome these days, and you will be amazed what people are willing to pay good money for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Foxman is bang on.........lash it up on donedeal.ie for €3 ......and your phone will ring of da hook.
    Then Drag it to a place your happy to sell it from.

oh if only mr lankylegs would fit in it. Looked at it again today and it really isnt too bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deeelaan

Hi Fits
    I am fixing up a rice horse trailer at the moment, I will take this off your hands no problem, for parts if nothing else!!! I can use a friends car transporter trailer to collect and like this avoid having to tow it!
    If you still have it, and you are willing for me to collect then I will at your convenience. Please pm me some way to contact you!!
    Many thanks
    Dylan:)

• Advertisement

I traded it in against a new (er) one I'm afraid, but thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Cool. Good luck with the purchase.. think we are done here so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement