Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rule on the Black

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Derrence

My understanding of da rule is that it wud hav 2 b a re-rack, when u can not make contact with the black ball. In the fairness of the game i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I dont play pool anymore cos while I am a competent snooker player I got sick of getting beaten by total imbeciles playing pool. More often than not it was the variation of rules were beating me combined with rediculous luck by opponents and bad luck by me.

The "local" table I used to play on (20 years ago) was - no carrying shots, stick to the pocket on the black and no playing back the table and no intentional foul strokes (how do you measure intentional?)

It was on this rediculous table that I had a black in the jaws of the pocket and my oponent (4 reds left) managed to cover the black in a nice semi cirlce of reds. It was impossible to even hit the black. He called an intentional foul stroke and I lost the game. I had to leave the pub, I was almost apoplectic. The variation of "house" rules is sickening - I've played follow the last ball on the black and I've played opposite pocket on the black. I've never in my life played "3 fouls" of any description (but I have heard people asking for clarification of it before a game starts, "how many fouls on the black, 3?").

Ever since, I always ask for a description of house rules before I sart. Invariably now, it is carrying shots and any pocket for the black and playing back table allowed. When both players are on the black, a foul by one player on the black means the other person wins. When there are are balls left on the table... any number of fouls are allowed on the black with 2 shots to the opponent.

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I never heard of this rule and being playing along time, it sounds a bit Americanized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

There are two pool organisations the IPA which the world championship was on sky during the week, and the European Blackball Association , in both potting the black does not matter as long as you hit it and put it in a pocket, if you are on the balck and you opponent fouls you will get 2 shots. In IPA rules if your opponent fouls you get 2 shots which carry, in European Blackball Association you get 2 shots which do not carry but you can lift the white ball up and place it behind the baulk line and play (pot) your opponents ball. In these rules there is also a skill shot, once you hit your own ball first and pot it you can pot your opponents ball in the same shot also if your on your last colour you can do this with the black ball. Blackball rules are here http://www.ebapool.com/downloads.php?cat_id=2
    IPA rules cant find atm but site is here http://www.propool.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Hi guys never posted on the pool forum but I have been playing the game for years so I thought I would add my two cents.

Have seen all those weired rules that you have mentioned but for me I play these rules.

1 Two shots carry
    2 Free ball on any ball including the black, must nominate ball.
    3 back table
    4 only nominate pocket on black ball and pocket can change every shot.
    5 one shot on the black but only because my local says so.
    6 no hop shots because most people cant play them.
    7 white ball must make contact with a cushion if playing a snooker, any twit can roll up to a ball, there's no skill there, IMO this rule should be enforced everywhere.
    8 three foul rule on the black but only if both players are on the black.

As for the first post I have seen this happen so many times and no-matter what way you look at it its a re-rack everyday of the week. Basically the problem here is that the player has an impossible shot because his black ball is totally covered. I understand that the shot you played was probably a outstanding one but it does not change the end result. I have played this shot myself as a means of getting a re-rack because I could not win. I have always accepted the rule that it is a re-rack no-matter what ball I'm on.

Now I have a question for you guys basically because its the only rule no one could ever answer for me with any degree of certainty

If you are snookered on your ball by means of the jaws of the pocket and your opponent has just fouled, do you have a free ball or do you have to attempt to play you own ball and risk giving a foul shot.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Lads its simple if you're playing away from your local pub/club, When you're racking up ask about the house rules :eek: FOR-ARMED etc etc

As for the question about cushion snooker , Free ball is what I always played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I hadn't heard of 3 foul rule until Irish College this year but it makes sense... When you're playin stick pocket it does anyway... We were playin stick pocket and we had both picked opposite corner pockets... Then, purely accidentally, I put the black on a pocket which neither of us had picked... It was hanging over pocket... Neither of us had any fouls previously so the person had to draw the fouls before me... So I ended up winning by default... Otherwise neither of us would ever had hit the black...
    Derrence wrote: »
    My understanding of da rule is that it wud hav 2 b a re-rack, when u can not make contact with the black ball. In the fairness of the game i think.

Although this seems like a fair point too...^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Brabazone wrote: »
    Hi guys never posted on the pool forum but I have been playing the game for years so I thought I would add my two cents.

Have seen all those weired rules that you have mentioned but for me I play these rules.

1 Two shots carry
    2 Free ball on any ball including the black, must nominate ball.
    3 back table
    4 only nominate pocket on black ball and pocket can change every shot.
    5 one shot on the black but only because my local says so.
    6 no hop shots because most people cant play them.
    7 white ball must make contact with a cushion if playing a snooker, any twit can roll up to a ball, there's no skill there, IMO this rule should be enforced everywhere.
    8 three foul rule on the black but only if both players are on the black.

As for the first post I have seen this happen so many times and no-matter what way you look at it its a re-rack everyday of the week. Basically the problem here is that the player has an impossible shot because his black ball is totally covered. I understand that the shot you played was probably a outstanding one but it does not change the end result. I have played this shot myself as a means of getting a re-rack because I could not win. I have always accepted the rule that it is a re-rack no-matter what ball I'm on.

Now I have a question for you guys basically because its the only rule no one could ever answer for me with any degree of certainty

If you are snookered on your ball by means of the jaws of the pocket and your opponent has just fouled, do you have a free ball or do you have to attempt to play you own ball and risk giving a foul shot.?

Your rules look like a variant of World Rules, however there is two shots on the black at all times, If one person is on the black then it's hardly fair that his opponent who still has colours left on the table can foul away "accidentally", it's only stupid backwards crap pub rules which have this and this no back table carry on. Where-o-where did that tripe come from?

Advertisement