Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAD/CAM Masters

Options
  • 22-05-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, does anybody know if any College in the Country does a Cad/Cam masters? A friend from work did one in Queens Uni but they dont offer it anymore. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hi, does anybody know if any College in the Country does a Cad/Cam masters? A friend from work did one in Queens Uni but they dont offer it anymore. Thanks

Have you looked at DCU, it has a master in computer aided mechanical and manufacturing engineering. You can pick your module to focus on a particular area, this includes cam, manufacturing procees & tool design, Product design etc. There is also stuff like FEA and CFD. UL has a product design one also, it may be more suitable? I am doing the DCU one so if you have any questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Firstly thanks for your help, the only question I want to ask is what kind of software do you use? And can you tell me some of the modules? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Firstly thanks for your help, the only question I want to ask is what kind of software do you use? And can you tell me some of the modules? Thanks

We really do not use CAD on the course, it is assumed you did it on undergrad or can pick it up. To be honest I have picked up several new CAD programs on the job, and most expect to send you on a quick training course when you arrive. We do more work on computer aided engineering tools. So working in finite element analysis (ANSYS - stress analysis and so on), computation fluid dynamics (Fluent) and many others. I am of the opinion that the future will involve more first concept testing on these tools and being a design engineer I would like to focus in this area. There is two streams (Manufacturing and Mechanical) although I am mixing and matching according to my weakness and interests.

[HTML]http://www.dcu.ie/mechanical_engineering/masters/modules.shtml[/HTML] will tell you about the modules. I research this course and compared to many US courses and it is more practical and more useful in industry in my own opinion. Any questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Just a few questions again!Is the aim of the course to improve modelling skills? Like in Pro Eng, Unigraphics type area? Or is it aimed more at development testing like ANSYS finite element? Im looking at getting into both of these areas really.

Advertisement