Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European United Left-Nordic Green Left

Options
  • 22-05-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

The group is opposed to the present European political structure, but "deeply committed to the construction of Europe''

Whats your view? This is my first time to vote in any election and I don't know how to gauge who I want. Sinn Féin are alligned with these and I can't say I disagree with this on face value, but whats the full story with them?

In any of the sites I use like EU profiler I'm in the complete opposite to their views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sinn Féin are anti EU. They're an isolationist nationalist party.

They urge No votes on every constitutional referendum to approve an EU treaty. They proclaim the attitude of EU bad, but seeing as we're in we might as well work it. If the EU was disbanded tomorrow they'd throw a party.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Same objection as to Libertas - it's easy to oppose for opposition's sake. It's all very well to criticise how the EU works, but until you come up with concrete proposals for something that's a definite improvement, and demonstrate how you'll get 27 countries to go along with it, it's just a slogan and certainly doesn't warrant a vote from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The Parliament grouping Sinn Fein sit with are something of a reminder that under the nationalism, Sinn Fein are a hard left party. European United Left–Nordic Green Left contains a lot of Marxists - who in theory would have no problem as such with a united Europe, but who would see the current Eu as too 'liberal'. There's a quick video introduction to GUE/NGL here - it's i their own words, so obviously it's positive!

My own difficulty with what GUE/NGL are saying is that I don't see how the institutions or treaties of the EU are anything approaching 'neo-liberal' - neo-liberals would never choose to create something like the EU, and almost all the neo-liberals or libertarians I've ever met would dismantle it tomorrow if they could. However, the neo-liberals would dismantle it because it regulates the common market, whereas GUE/NGL would dismantle it because it creates a common market.

The only element of SF that sits uneasily with that is the nationalism (esp the physical force aspects). Within Ireland, it's worth remembering that that element is of course to the fore.

If I had a single reason not to vote SF for the euros, it would be because they don't take it seriously - Mary-Lou has a dreadful attendance record, and the stunt amendment on the Irish referendum was, if you look at it properly, both cheap and potentially dangerous.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement