Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numb Thumb

Options
  • 22-05-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Does anybody else ever get a numb thumb when they do too much writing? During the pre's my thumb became so numb on the second day (during English) that it made the exams more stressful than they already were. This was followed by tingling pains, shooting pains which really really distracted me.

Any ideas how to avoid this from happening in the real thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

yeah-boy wrote: »
    Does anybody else ever get a numb thumb when they do too much writing? During the pre's my thumb became so numb on the second day (during English) that it made the exams more stressful than they already were. This was followed by tingling pains, shooting pains which really really distracted me.

In Primary school when I was learning to write I had a series of pink squishy grips to apply to the end of my pencil. Perhaps something like that would help. (And yes this is a serious suggestion.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Since I broke my wrist several years ago my hand gets excruciatingly sore during exams. Usually stretch it and take a minute or so break every so often before persevering on. Was intending to become good using my right hand in preparation for the Leaving but alas that never worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The way I hold a pen my middle finger has a callous on it from back in the day which gets dead sore now when I'm writing, and my index finger is extremely sore once I stop writing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

yeah-boy wrote: »

Id say switch the pens you use a few times before the exam to see which type is best for you. The really really skinny bic pens make my fingers so sore and my wrist starts to cramp after writing frantically for a few minutes, like i would be in an exam. I find the fatter pens arent as sore on my hand, or if you alternate between different types throughout the exam before your hand gets sore using the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

use Staedler pens theyre rounded at the top so its not as sore as using a BIC pen. Also try grips, theres new grips out that look like rubber try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Having broken my wrist many times and being left handed I used to get really bad pains during exams. It was quickly resolved by not putting as much pressure on the pen and taking a quick (few seconds) break every 20 or so minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Agree with macroman, take a 2 min break every 30 mins in all exams.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I can write pretty well with both hands- reeeesult :D
    Benefits of breaking my wrists as a child!

If one hand goes numb though, just shake it around pretty vigorously for a minute... and it'll be back, sor'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I get pains in my elbow during History/English exams. Anyone have a similar experience?

• Advertisement
Advertisement