Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roland Garros - 2009 French Open

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Incredibly Soderling has his first break point of the match as Federer hits a routine forehand long with the court at his mercy. Federer saves after Soderling leaves a forehand short, before he arcs a forehand right onto the line for advantage. A long rally sees Federer hold after Soderling runs out of steam and puts a tired forehand long.

That could've been Soderling's chance. He then holds serve and Federer remains up a break serving with new balls at 3-2.

Soderling gets to 30-30 in game eight, but Federer puts a forehand on the line, and Soderling puts a return into the net as Federer holds for a 5-3 leads and he is one game away from his first French Open title. Federer looks a bit red-eyed after that hold, and surely he must feel that this is his time.

Soderling won't make it easy on him, and will force him to serve for the championship after holding his serve to 30.

Federer leads 5-4 and will serve for the French Open championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Congrats R-Fed. Absolute legend.

Some nerves from Federer as he puts two shots long, and Soderling has a break point at 30-40.

The crowd are on their feet as Soderling mis-hits on break point and it's deuce. Federer puts a serve wide forcing Soderling around the court before putting a volley safe and he's on his first match point.

His first serve is dumped into the net and Roger Federer wins the French Open for the first time. He's in tears on court and the crowd erupt.

The greatest player I've ever seen.

Federer wins 6-1, 7-6 (7-1), 6-4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Congratulations Roger. Well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Congrats to Federer!!! Well played.
    Definitely the greatest player ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Just saw John McEnroe interview him on court. After all the talk of finally getting the title, being the 6th player ever to win all 4 majors and equalling Sampras' record of 14 majors he then said "as one tennis player to another I'd just like to say it's an absolute priviledge to be standing next to you." You could hear the American commentators wetting themselves laughing. Speaks volumes.

Stat: apparently he only lost 17 points on serve the whole match.

2997368443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Fair play to Federer. Happy he won.

What kind of flag was the guy trying to put on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Sherifu wrote: »
    Fair play to Federer. Happy he won.

What kind of flag was the guy trying to put on him?

I think it was Catalan.

We all knew the huge pressure that Federer was under regarding this tournament, especially when Nadal and Djokovic were knocked out. Never again he says:

"It takes away so much pressure. Now, I can play in peace for the rest of my career.

Nobody will never tell me again that I have not won Roland Garros."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am really happy that the second best clay player on clay over the past 5 years has won the major clay title. I think sometimes people might forget that Roger is a fantastic
    clay player too and only that a legend like Nadal was winning, Fed could have had 3-4 French titles. This is what separates him from the other greats like Pete and Boris and Mac.

He has been consistently brilliant on ALL surfaces and his versatility and all around game
    is why he is the best ever.

I still think at absolute peak, Sampras may beat Fed in a one off game!
    All down to Sampras' slightly superior serve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Delighted Federer won the French. Great to see him produce his best performance in the final too - he was playing beautiful tennis yesterday. One of the male commentators on Eurosport (not Mats) kept going on about how it's a pity that he didn't win it while he was at the top of his game and that he has a poor record against the other top younger players - Nonsense! Grand Slams are where it counts, and Federer has a phenomenal record at those. Even Rafa doesn't have a significantly better record over the past 18 months.

How hard is it to get tickets for the final of Roland Garros? Might head over for it next year.

I'm not sure if tickets go on sale for the final - they may all be given to clubs, VIPs etc. If you can get them it would probably be quite expensive, but would be class.

Advertisement