Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bigass

Ya but the members could have been a bit more professional!! At least looked at the law books before heading out!!!

''A day with nice guy''........emmmm it has a ring to it!!

true they wouldnt have being my first choice.

I know a few from traffic that would have came across a bit more professional.

Considering your traffic, did you not consider or request to appear!!!!

''A day with nice guy''........emmmm it has a ring to it!!

And now we see Nice Guy replying to a post on boards.ie. Next week, Nice Guy starts a thread.

foreign wrote: »
    And now we see Nice Guy replying to a post on boards.ie. Next week, Nice Guy starts a thread.

The following week, Niceguy takes over the world!!!

bigass wrote: »
    The following week, Niceguy takes over the world!!!

It's gone from a reality show to science fiction now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

It's gone from a reality show to science fiction now!

Not that far from fiction 4....start with the district....take over division......region........the then the force!!!!

mah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement

Not that far from fiction 4....start with the district....take over division......region........the then the force!!!!

mah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

May the force be with you...

..I'll get me coat.

May the force be with you...

..I'll get me coat.

Pick me up on the way, Im the girl with the Hi-vis.lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Sully wrote: »
    Never knew you could operate a speed check at cars not travelling directly in front of the speed camera. Always thought thats how the machines operated - by pointing in the direction of the car is travelling (front facing) rather then at the back as it passes!
    yeh the work by the basis of laser hitting de car and de length of time it takes to travel back to the device is the distance and then it divides the distance by the time to give the speed !!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Pick me up on the way, Im the girl with the Hi-vis.lol

Shouldn't be too many of those.:p

DubMedic wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too many of those.:p

LOl..theres still me!!! I'm a force in myself:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yeh the work by the basis of laser hitting de car and de length of time it takes to travel back to the device is the distance and then it divides the distance by the time to give the speed !!!:rolleyes:

Are you serious?!? My god, you learn something new everyday! You should become a teacher, you would be a great asset to any school and educate the children very well. Especially when you roll your eyes up at them for getting something that is so bloody obvious to you. *clap* You will go far.

Since 99% of the examples of speed checks are with cars travelling against them, rather then away, it is a safe assumption to make that is how the devise actually works. To add to that, since the car is moving against you the laser travelling could be viewed different to that of when a laser is pointed at the rear of the car. I personally think that a laser pointing at the front of a travelling vehicle would provide more accurate results, but obviously it can do either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Sully wrote: »
    Are you serious?!? My god, you learn something new everyday! You should become a teacher, you would be a great asset to any school and educate the children very well. Especially when you roll your eyes up at them for getting something that is so bloody obvious to you. *clap* You will go far.

Since 99% of the examples of speed checks are with cars travelling against them, rather then away, it is a safe assumption to make that is how the devise actually works. To add to that, since the car is moving against you the laser travelling could be viewed different to that of when a laser is pointed at the rear of the car. I personally think that a laser pointing at the front of a travelling vehicle would provide more accurate results, but obviously it can do either way.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question396.htm
    " A laser speed gun shoots a very short burst of infrared laser light and then waits for it to reflect off the vehicle. The gun counts the number of nanoseconds it takes for the round trip, and by dividing by 2 it can calculate the distance to the car. If the gun takes 1,000 samples per second, it can compare the change in distance between samples and calculate the speed of the car. By taking several hundred samples over the course of a third of a second or so, the accuracy can be very high. "

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gerire wrote: »
    " A laser speed gun shoots a very short burst of infrared laser light and then waits for it to reflect off the vehicle. The gun counts the number of nanoseconds it takes for the round trip, and by dividing by 2 it can calculate the distance to the car. If the gun takes 1,000 samples per second, it can compare the change in distance between samples and calculate the speed of the car. By taking several hundred samples over the course of a third of a second or so, the accuracy can be very high. "

Thanks. I always had a good idea of how it worked, but for some reason I thought it couldn't work if the vehicle was travelling the opposite direction because of how the vehicle was travelling against the laser rather then away from the laser, helping it report back!

I saw the TS on one of the slip roads going to Dublin before and queried how they were going to pull over traffic considering its on the other side of the road, but it was cleared up from TheNog earlier in this thread for me about doing it against vehicles travelling the opposite direction.

Good technology though, and rules out peoples theory that "Ah ill be grand, just keep an eye out for them ahead of me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

gerire wrote: »
    Yes something like that....I was close enough...laugh out loud...(apparently its a breach of boards.ie law not to use "text speak")

LOl..theres still me!!! I'm a force in myself:p

That's the reason they hired you sure.

Is everyone ready for yet another high-octane , death defying , crime-ridden episode tomorrow night ? :pac:.

And no , that was not referring to a night out on the beers for the ES forum.:rolleyes:

That's the reason they hired you sure.

That and the good looks!

Yeah looking forward to another drunk driver .. and wait for it...they might break into a chase....Na dont build yer hopes up!!! lol

Think I'll need to have a few to watch it!!!

That and the good looks!

Yeah looking forward to another drunk driver .. and wait for it...they might break into a chase....Na dont build yer hopes up!!! lol

Think I'll need to have a few to watch it!!!

Female gardaí can be really nice!.

Wait.. I think your onto something here.

Are you actually suggesting there might be another drunk driver on Traffic Blues? :eek:.

I think we're in for a good episode so!:rolleyes:.

Never mind the beer , traffic blues is mind-numbing enough.

Female gardaí can be really nice!.

Wait.. I think your onto something here.

Are you actually suggesting there might be another drunk driver on Traffic Blues? :eek:.

I think we're in for a good episode so!:rolleyes:.

Never mind the beer , traffic blues is mind-numbing enough.

Can be nice, oh we are!!!

The big count down is on, better head off and get the popcorn in!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

that was the best one ever :pac:
    a young driver was cautioned for driving to close to a bus this reviviting stuff :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

da__flash wrote: »
    reviviting stuff :eek:

Reviv...rehv...revi...reve...rivivivviiting...wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

ScubaDave wrote: »
    I did!

How the hell did she get that??

Why would a student not be allowed to wear a short sleeved hi-vis jacket? Would that be the same for a Reserve Member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why is Garda T207 standing on the side of the M1 closest to the driving lane without a high viz jacket on?

Why are the gardai standing out in a traffic lane on a Dundalk ring road without high viz chatting to a camera?

Spartan09 wrote:
    Why would a student not be allowed to wear a short sleeved hi-vis jacket? Would that be the same for a Reserve Member?

I'd think that to get this jacket the mountain bike course woulld need to be done, and a student or reserve would not do this.

ScubaDave wrote: »
    I did!

How the hell did she get that??
    da__flash wrote: »
    that was the best one ever :pac:
    a young driver was cautioned for driving to close to a bus this reviviting stuff :eek:

Yeah that bit really had me on the edge of my seat. Although saying that it is very irritating (and dangerous) for someone to be driving right up your backside on a road, come to think of it it really really bugs me.

Random wrote: »
    Why is Garda T207 standing on the side of the M1 closest to the driving lane without a high viz jacket on?

Why are the gardai standing out in a traffic lane on a Dundalk ring road without high viz chatting to a camera?

Was it dark on any of these occasions?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Was it dark on any of these occasions?
    No it wasn't but I would have thought high viz would have been the preferred option regardless?

Would this not be standard procedure?

++ edit
    In the scene where they're trying to take the drunk driver out of the car Neil Delamere (looks identical!!) there's no high viz in use - but nighttime isn't the point - surely it should be all the time?

Neil Delamere (looks identical!!)

Good spot...

287.jpg

Back on T, they should have been wearing H-Viz, the regular uniform provides almost no visibility what so ever.

I'd think that to get this jacket the mountain bike course woulld need to be done, and a student or reserve would not do this.

Was thinking about this yesterday, seen a member directing traffic in 25 degrees of heat in short sleeved high-vis and further up the road another member in a full high-vis jacket who was slowly baking alive. Why would the short sleeved jackets be for bicycle unit members only, maybe its just me thinking in a common sense way but with occasional searing heat would it not make sense to make short sleeved high-vis available to all members

• Advertisement

Shortsleeve high-viz for everyone. Fecking heavy duty high viz is a joke. No wonder they're not wearing them when they get out of the car if they're so much effort.

The Gardai have too much patience. An hour to get someone out of the car? Ten mins they should have taken him out. They're too nice sometimes.

The Gardai have too much patience. An hour to get someone out of the car? Ten mins they should have taken him out. They're too nice sometimes.

Thought so to. The guard admitted afterwards the amount of resources that had been taken up on a Saturday evening...

I would have,

-Asked him to leave the car,
    -Asked him to leave the car,
    -Tell him that if he does not leave the car he will be forcibly removed
    -(Repeat)
    -Attempt to gently remove him (test of strength etc.)
    -Remove him from car.
    -if this does not work, tow the car!

It could also be a case of a delay getting the van there I guess as to why they waited the hour? I don't fully disagree with more manpower but at the same time ..

Old people sometimes get too much "respect" and patience from people. If that was a young lad he wouldn't have got that. I'm not criticising the Gardai as such .. they're only human...

It's a tough one I guess with RTEs editing sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

watched 2 series of traffic blues. Pretty interesting
    the only message I get (as a foreigner used to a 'different level' of policing)
    whatever you do you will get away probably with it...
    the level of enforcing the traffic law by the garda is a serious joke in ireland
    (the garda are very nice lads, nothing against them...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is good to know that AGS have a book of EU driving licences in their cars to catch out all those chancers using bent ones. Do they have a book of foreign insurance certs too?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is good to know that AGS have a book of EU driving licences in their cars to catch out all those chancers using bent ones. Do they have a book of foreign insurance certs too?

Thats a good one there. If only we had a book. Some traffic lads carry them, the ones shown with it were regional traffic from dublin castle. They come down to the college and show the students what to be looking for. It's all on the PULSE computers as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Trust me, If the cameras had not been there the drinky driver would have been out of the car in less than five minutes.

I wonder will they ever do a show involving regular gardai.

To be honest i think it would be too shocking for the public to see what actually goes on.

Traffic Blues is like a little dreamland where the only abuse the gardai get is "thanks gard" or "no im not getting out of my car".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 UrMad4Pipe

Chief--- wrote: »
    Trust me, If the cameras had not been there the drinky driver would have been out of the car in less than five minutes.

To be honest i think it would be too shocking for the public to see what actually goes on.

Traffic Blues is like a little dreamland where the only abuse the gardai get is "thanks gard" or "no im not getting out of my car".

You mean a show where the gardai are shown as the idiot farmers the majority of them are?
    No i doubt that will ever happen sadly.:(

UrMad4Pipe banned for a week.

Probably not the best to dole out abuse towards gardai on a forum where most of the mods are gardai and a high percentage of the posters are too.

Have a week to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

UrMad4Pipe wrote: »
    You mean a show where the gardai are shown as the idiot farmers the majority of them are?
    No i doubt that will ever happen sadly.:(

Bye, bye

I think most people would hope that he would have been taken out of the car after refusing twice as if this happened every time it would be such a waste of valuable Garda resources. I think alot of people would have made the assumption that it took longer because cameras were at the situation. I dont think people would have took issue with him being forcibly removed from the car after 5 mins.

Re a TV camera following everyday Gardai, I think the public should see what AGS have to put up with every day, especially when "An Bord Snip" is rumoured to be recommending cutting the strength of AGS by 1-2,000, a TV programme showing how much crap there is out there to be dealing with would re-affirm the need for Gardai to be on the streets.

• Advertisement

People are forgetting that even if the fella had of got out of the car they would still need the extra back-up to transport the prisoner due to the camera man. So why not leave him in the car where he is safe and members do not need to restrain him on the road waiting for the van to turn up.

Would it not be standard practice to use the van to transport prisoners in any event? You would not want a drunk throwing up in the back of the patrol car.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Would it not be standard practice to use the van to transport prisoners in any event? You would not want a drunk throwing up in the back of the patrol car.

No its not standard practice, only very violent ones or ones covered in blood or piss/sh1t would require a van.

In many districts vans are not available.

I remeber seeing the uk cops trying to force a prisoner into a 2 door mini metro!!

Even with a (cuffed) violent prisoner in the back seat, a reasonably strong Gard sitting next to him should be able to control him.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

Wasn't there another Garda show supposed to be starting around this time as well? I remember seeing the promo for it on the same promo for Traffic Blues.

Shades799 wrote: »
    Wasn't there another Garda show supposed to be starting around this time as well? I remember seeing the promo for it on the same promo for Traffic Blues.

News to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 UrMad4Pipe2

UrMad4Pipe banned for a week.

Probably not the best to dole out abuse towards gardai on a forum where most of the mods are gardai and a high percentage of the posters are too.

Have a week to think about it.

I iz back,Muhahaha:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I iz back,Muhahaha:)

I said
    TheNog wrote: »
    Bye, bye

Good work there The Nog.

I never say this, but....

lolz!!

News to me...

yeah there was one talked about, a fictional one on TV3 that was externally comissioned, no set release date for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement