Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Anyone hear "Gift Grub" on Today FM this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

what a terrible show.............after the braek, we have garda eamonn roarty stopping a car for non wearing of a seatbelt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Shades799 wrote: »
    Wasn't there another Garda show supposed to be starting around this time as well? I remember seeing the promo for it on the same promo for Traffic Blues.

You sure it wasn't for the customs service series that started on Monday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

''Oscar Sierra Bravo..eh..whats D?''

''Dunno...''

''Right then, Oscar Sierra Bravo...Dónal''

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Just been watching tonights episode and I cannot believe how overweight the Officer with red cheeks is based in Drogheda.

Is there no annual Garda fitness test for Officers , I mean how is he supposed to chase a suspect on foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So the last episode was pretty much as the first one was.

Let's hope they bring out another series, but let's hope it's more Road Wars style where you get the impression that the Gardai are actually being themselves rather than the robots they appear as (for whatever reason) on this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Just been watching tonights episode and I cannot believe how overweight the Officer with red cheeks is based in Drogheda.

Is there no annual Garda fitness test for Officers , I mean how is he supposed to chase a suspect on foot.

I reckon he is a serious lump of a guard. Probably better build than a super fit light young fella to deal with most issues that crop up.

• Advertisement

Please include a photo of yourself for comparison. Plus he is traffic Corps. He would mostly be "chasing" cars, trucks or motorcycles.

Can you run at 120+Kph?

Please include a photo of yourself for comparison. Plus he is traffic Corps. He would mostly be "chasing" cars, trucks or motorcycles.

Can you run at 120+Kph?
    Whether he's 4 stone or 40 stone it's not really relevant to his point.

+ edit - seems you edited your post while I was using quick reply and it quoted the new post .. or something .. odd.

Random wrote: »
    Whether he's 4 stone or 40 stone it's not really relevant to his point.

+ edit - seems you edited your post while I was using quick reply and it quoted the new post .. or something .. odd.

I disagree. If you are willing to make statements about an individuals apprarance, and whether or not he can do his or her job, you should be at least qualified to make that judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I was wondering why the guy who refused to stop only got 2 points for the speeding he was caught doing and nothing for refusing to stop as directed by gardai ? Is there such an offence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes there is. S 109 Road Traffic Act 1961. A driver must stop when directed by a Garda.

I wonder would you get attempting to pervert the course of justice as well? You would deffo have obstruction of a Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Well I would have thought that refusing to stop and hiding down a backroad was a much more serious offence than speeding. I don't understand why he was let away with it but then again I shouldn't be surprised judging from previous episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

that driver who kept goin in donegal, if he is ever asked to stop by a garda again, he will prob jus keep going. He'll jus say to himself...
    "well, i wont get in any extra trouble for not stopping, why not jus keep going and i might get away with it. if i dont no harm done"

i would hav thought that speeding would be a much lesser offence than running/obsconding/whatever the word is from a garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Jip wrote: »
    I was wondering why the guy who refused to stop only got 2 points for the speeding he was caught doing and nothing for refusing to stop as directed by gardai ? Is there such an offence ?

They did mention this is a very common occurrance near border counties. I suppose they used thier own discretion. I would also imagine this incident has been logged and he prob wouldn't get away with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

donvito99 wrote: »
    News to me...

It had a voice-over of a female Garda talking about how it's hard not to be liked by some sections of the community but that she has to just ignore that and get on with the job. This voice-over was of a shot of her running through some shrubbery type stuff with a green jacket on I believe and then hiding behind a wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I'm thinking he's a rugby player, they never show his right ear when he's doing his pieces to camera but you can get a glimpse of it from time to time when he is out and about.

I would not underestimate this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Jip wrote: »
    Well I would have thought that refusing to stop and hiding down a backroad was a much more serious offence than speeding. I don't understand why he was let away with it but then again I shouldn't be surprised judging from previous episodes.

Yeah, I couldn't believe what he got away with. Even if you consider the time of the Gardai that he wasted, giving them stupid stories and having someone knock on the door and interrupt some uninvolveds.

I would see nothing wrong with that guy being locked up, fingerprinted and put before a judge to give an account of himself.

• Advertisement

The RSA are complaining about the leniency shown to learner drivers.

They would not be the only ones.

The RSA are complaining about the leniency shown to learner drivers.

Source? Out of curiosity... :)

donvito99 wrote: »
    Source? Out of curiosity... :)

Authority complains over garda leniency in TV show

By Seán McCárthaigh
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009
    A NEW RTÉ series featuring members of the Garda Traffic Corps has been criticised by the Road Safety Authority over fears that some road traffic offenders are being treated too leniently.
    The Irish Examiner has learnt that RSA chief executive Noel Brett has formally expressed concern to gardaí about several incidents documented in the RTÉ programme Traffic Blues.

Mr Brett has complained that drivers on learner permits might think they could escape sanction by failing to adhere to legal requirements such as being accompanied by a driver with a full licence and the display of L-plates.

Traffic Blues has featured incidents involving a number of young motorists being allowed off with a caution after being detected driving in breach of the rules on learner drivers.

Mr Brett has written to Assistant Garda Commissioner Eddie Rock, who has responsibility for the Garda Traffic Corps, to seek reassurance that gardaí are enforcing road traffic legislation, particularly in relation to young, novice drivers.

The RSA was particularly concerned that the programme showed how one teenage driver from Co Donegal, who was stopped a second time for driving offences avoided any fine or court appearance. Instead he was referred to the Garda juvenile diversion programme.

The RSA is also worried that some drivers who appeared to have committed speeding offences as well as having vehicles in a dangerous condition were merely given a caution.

"The RSA contacted the gardaí regarding the perception that the programme may give to some novice drivers," confirmed an RSA spokesperson.

He admitted that the RSA has also received a number of complaints from driving instructors as well as members of the public.

It is understood senior gardaí had access to the final edit of the programme prior to its screening in which they could have raised any concerns, although editorial control remained with production company Big Mountain and RTÉ.

A Garda Press Office spokesperson defended the actions of the Garda Traffic Corps claiming the ultimate aim was to "positively influence the behaviour of all road users".

"An Garda Síochána carries out its duties in relation to roads policing through enforcement, which includes use of the juvenile diversion programme, as appropriate as well as education and advice," said the Garda spokesperson.

Official figures show that Traffic Blues is the third highest rated programme on RTÉ 1 with an audience of around 400,000 viewers.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, July 07, 2009

lehanemore wrote: »
    I'm thinking he's a rugby player, they never show his right ear when he's doing his pieces to camera but you can get a glimpse of it from time to time when he is out and about.

I would not underestimate this man.

He looks like a beast alright. He'd fair better in a public order role that the other female at the end of the show .. but anyways ...

Official figures show that Traffic Blues is the third highest rated programme on RTÉ 1 with an audience of around 400,000 viewers.

Hopefully this will inform RTÉ how well a show like this does and that we'll see another one in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

When I saw the one about the drink driver that took them an hour to get out the car, I thought to myself, if there were no cameras it wouldn't have taken as long.

You could bet your house on that.

In the USA he would have been tasered after the second refusal. No doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

kippy wrote: »
    I aint denying it, however, how often would a garda based in a rural area be threatened with a knife (or gun)?
    I honestly can't believe that it is as common place as being mentioned here.

The last few assaults on Gardaí that involved weapons happened in rural areas. Last year there were 4 rural Gardaí that I know of hospitalised as result of this, and they're only the ones that I know of.

Let's hope they bring out another series, but let's hope it's more Road Wars style where you get the impression that the Gardai are actually being themselves rather than the robots they appear as (for whatever reason) on this series.

In fairness, you try being natural with some cameraman following you about & knowing that everything you do is being recorded & scrutinised by others.

In fairness, you try being natural with some cameraman following you about & knowing that everything you do is being recorded & scrutinised by others.

I'm not criticising the individual Gardai - I'm giving out about whatever conditions were put to them by the higher ups or whatever that has them acting like this. Road Wars seems more natural .. it's like they were given more freedom to be themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I'm not criticising the individual Gardai - I'm giving out about whatever conditions were put to them by the higher ups or whatever that has them acting like this. Road Wars seems more natural .. it's like they were given more freedom to be themselves.

Yeah but in fairness Road Wars is in its 6th or 7th year and the show has progressed into what it is now with the officers being alot more confortable with the cameraman there with each series. I would hope that Traffic Blues continues with the same members who will become more natural in front of the camera.

IMO they should get rid of the narrator of the show cos he is way too formal while trying to be dramatic. Also do away with the after interviews in an office. In Road Wars and Traffic Cops the officers give a quick run down at the roadside either as an incident unfolds or when they are finishing up. This gives the viewer a sense of being there rather than the inpersonal interview afterwards.

I would also show footage of some pursuits as well. God only knows there is plenty of pursuit footage at ASU. Tbh I cant understand why they didnt show some of them cos lets face it, pursuits happen so show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You could bet your house on that.

In the USA he would have been tasered after the second refusal. No doubt about it.

Yeah and luckily we live in a civilised society and not the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Yeah and luckily we live in a civilised society and not the USA.

+1 to that

Although I have no statistics I have seen many video recordings of over reliance or abuse of the Taser. It should never be considered a bee all and end all but simply as an option between physically restraining a prisoner and the option of using lethal force.

TheNog wrote: »
    +1 to that

Although I have no statistics I have seen many video recordings of over reliance or abuse of the Taser. It should never be considered a bee all and end all but simply as an option between physically restraining a prisoner and the option of using lethal force.
    Oh indeed.

From my experiences in the USA, many officers were very fond of using the taser. Many of them considered it an everyday tool of the job and treat it as so. As most traffic patrols are one man affairs it is the non lethal weapon of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 phaidi

did any one see in tonights episode the black woman that got pulled over in the toyota starlet that had five children in the back of the car and 2 of the them were supposed to be in booster seats?? not only did she not have a full licence never mind that but the garda let her DRIVE AWAY with the 5 children STILL in the back of the car with a meer fine and 2 points what the hell like!?!?!?! what if that woman had of been in a crash down the road and that garda could have prevented it.... unbeliavable!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

phaidi wrote: »
    did any one see in tonights episode the black woman that got pulled over in the toyota starlet that had five children in the back of the car and 2 of the them were supposed to be in booster seats?? not only did she not have a full licence never mind that but the garda let her DRIVE AWAY with the 5 children STILL in the back of the car with a meer fine and 2 points what the hell like!?!?!?! what if that woman had of been in a crash down the road and that garda could have prevented it.... unbeliavable!!!

Sorry I was actively avoiding it missed tonights episode.

The above scenario is bloody ridiculous tho

I KNOW!! not only was it outrageous but i actually cant believe they showed that for the gardas own sake!?! what was he thinking like?!?! he definetly didnt earn any brownie points for that one!! typical!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Its a tricky one.

Can you point to legislation that the Garda could use that could make the woman stop driving any further, for the sake of 2 penalty point offences.

I cant think of it off hand.

And if i did force somebody i could end up in the high court for a breach of somebodys human rights!!

If a garda stops somebody for not wearing a seatbelt and the person says "as soon as you let me go i am going to drive off again wearing no seatbelt". Has the Garda a power to stop the person from driving off??

Gardai have to act within the law and within legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Would driving unaccompanied not have prevented her? Or how about failure to ensure seatbelts are worn by the extra two children in the rear of the vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Prevented it how? The Garda had no power to stop her driving away. If it upset you that much write a letter to your local TD outlining the reasons certan laws need to be reformed/introduced. Dont go criticising the Gardai.

one2one wrote: »
    Would driving unaccompanied not have prevented her? Or how about failure to ensure seatbelts are worn by the extra two children in the rear of the vehicle?

Driving unaccompanied is a very minor road traffic offence. Its not an arrestable offence. Its can only be prosecuted by summons.

So no. He could not stop her from driving.

If her car was dangerously defective, he could prohibit her from drivin it any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Can you point to legislation that the Garda could use that could make the woman stop driving any further, for the sake of 2 penalty point offences.

In this particular case,perhaps the Road Traffic Act element needed to take second place to the more pressing needs of the safety of children.

Would it have been an option for a Garda to prevent this woman driving off on the basis of reckless endangerment of a minor or any other of the many laws surrounding the care of children,particularly if any of the children were NOT her own ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Chief--- wrote: »
    Driving unaccompanied is a very minor road traffic offence. Its not an arrestable offence. Its can only be prosecuted by summons.

So no. He could not stop her from driving.

If her car was dangerously defective, he could prohibit her from drivin it any further.

Further proof that the laws (and nowadays their influence, or most of it, comes from the morons in the RSA) are utterly, utterly stupid. We could take a dangerous driver off the road, seize their car and slap points on them, but instead the law dictates that they be allowed continue on their merry way and pay a fine of somewhere between €40 and €1000 at an undefined point about 6 months down the line. During which time of course, they could commit the same offence every single day and not come accross a checkpoint.

Whoever is responsible for laws like this should be sacked instantly and prosecuted for endangering lives. Completely moronic and it really makes me appreciate how frustrated Gardaí must get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Surely if she's driving unaccompanied, her insurance is invalid, therefore her car can be seized ?

Surely if she's driving unaccompanied, her insurance is invalid, therefore her car can be seized ?

Her insurance is still valid, same as if she was drink or drug driving. Her insurance is still valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

I KNOW!! not only was it outrageous but i actually cant believe they showed that for the gardas own sake!?! what was he thinking like?!?! he definetly didnt earn any brownie points for that one!! typical!!
    He did right.If he prohibited her from driving away,she'd have the civil liberties crowd around in a jiffy.Then the craic would start....photographers,Sunday World et al.Plus the guard would be facing a complaint and likely get (a)a reprimand at best or (b) lose his job. So yes let her off IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

"Her insurance is still valid, same as if she was drink or drug driving. Her insurance is still valid. "

Does the insurance not become void if you haven't got a full licence driver with you? As in your are not following the restrictions of your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

Most insurance companies will cover her...until something happens. Although by law you must be accompanied -the insurance schedule may not stipulate this.

If something happens and one or all of the kids die it will be her who has to deal with that. The garda can be happy that he did his job at the time and unhappy that there is nothing more we can do than issue a ticket / summons.

If you have a problem with the situation then maybe you should contact your local TD. Or Enda, he's having a good rant about everything these days. I'm sure he can find some way of blaming it on the FF / Green government.

bravestar wrote: »
    Prevented it how? The Garda had no power to stop her driving away. If it upset you that much write a letter to your local TD outlining the reasons certan laws need to be reformed/introduced. Dont go criticising the Gardai.

il criticise them all i want they never did anything for me whenever i needed assistance and i tried to contact whoever i could to try and get their attention i got no joy no help what so ever just kept getting put off longer and longer!! im sure there is plenty of people that will agree with me!! the same has most likely happened to them i just think its so unfair on the extra two children in the back with no seat belts if there was an accident they could have seriously been injured or worse killed! you see them adds on the television constantly of crashes and the constant awarness to wear your seatbelt why are they broadcasting these adds to wear seatbelts if they are just going to let you drive off still without one on?!? and then this like oh sure not a bother drive off because chances are shes just going to do it again tomorrow.......crazy!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement