Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface

Options
  • 22-05-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

I know its been probably asked more than a few times already. I did do a bit of a search but didnt really find anything. Want to rid myself of Eircom. I have Eircoms dect phone already.

1.What do I need to convert my normal phone to work with blueface.

Ah feck these points. What do I need to get setup. Blueface seem a bit pricey for there own phone.

I seen this on ebay Click me

If you can send me links I would appreciate it....

Thanks.

Clueless
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Probably I repeat myself here and others but:

VOIP is probably useful in 2 cases

1) you have BB that has no line rental, like Magnet, Digiweb, NTL, WISP's etc
    2) you have line rental but you make calls a lot.

It's all just a calculation: with VOIP calls are generally a LOT cheaper except for VOIP to mobile.

But if you already have line rental you don't save much (if any money)

Examples:

Eircom BB + phone, 50 euro?
    if you would take Blueface = + 5euro minimum but phone calls a LOT cheaper, so only interesting when you make a lot of phone calls AND you will have to ask for a new phone number (Eircom won't give you your old number while still keeping your BB with them, it's a tough problem)

Digiweb:
    Digiweb will give you a phone already, so might not be interesting to enable an extra phone line unless you call a lot.

UPC:
    UPC offers a phone service in their bundles for 5 or 10 euro, similar to a VOIP provider, however, you don't have to take it and it is almost still cheaper than UPC's offers to take a VOIP

WISPs (Wireless ISP's)
    I am with one myself. WISPs generally don't offer a phone service, so I had to take a VOIP (well tbh, I rarely make calls these days, all done by Skype or mobile) but 5 euro a month is nothing.

All i can say: if you have the right BB provider, you can save 30 euro a month AT LEAST, if you don't have the right BB provider (ie you already have to pay line rental), it can still be interesting if you make a lot of phone calls (> 30 euro)

So to be more specific to your question: yes that box gives you VOIP *but it is only interesting if you can save money*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have to have an Eircom landline for BB so am stuck with that charge.
    An extra few euros gets me unlimited calls to all Ireland landlines, so that is cheap enough.

I use an Analog Telephone Adapter to make VOIP connections using my ordinary dect phone.

All calls to other countries are very much cheaper than using the landline.
    For instance a call to Aus was 85c/m on the landline but 2c/m using VOIP.
    I don't need an incoming regional number as I have that with Eircom.
    I have a VOIP "number" which can be used by anyone using SIP VOIP.
    I also get an actual dialable VOIP number -- 076xxxxxx

The €25 or so the ATA cost was recovered in about 6 weeks. Since then I have very cheap calls to other countries.

Last but not least ...... my VOIP presence is portable. If I travel to New York and can access BB, then anyone dialling my 076xxxxx number in Ireland will get through to me for the price of a local call.

I wish I could get rid of the landline charge ..... but not much hope of that where I am living.

There are lots of other fun things to play with also ... video, text etc when using a PC. :)

regards.

Advertisement