Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's eating my broccoli plants

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

what's eating my broccoli plants? Its not slugs and I've used 'all in one bug spray' for a few weeks and still the same problem.

No problems last year, any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

How do you know it's not slugs?

If you've looked over the leaves, top and bottom, and can't find caterpillars or other critters, then the best bet is something that comes in the night, chompity chomps and leaves again by morning - and slugs can cover an incredible distance in a night to get at seedlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Yeah I've tried going out at nigth with a light and nothing. I also got those slug traps about 8 weeks ago, while at the start I was getting loads there are now very few caught. Also have those granuales (non chemical) around the base of the plants to keep slugs away.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Birds? Consider putting up a net.

Birds ate a load of plants on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

Could be adult vine weevil beetles, there are a few around at the moment and they tend to chomp U shaped notches out of the leaves at night. If it is them, they will lay eggs and the fat white grubs will munch on the roots and kill off your plants completely. Either that or it could be caterpillars, but I'd have thought you'd see them if they were causing damage.

sharon
    www.plot103.blogspot.com

Advertisement