Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths course changing?

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Is the Maths course changing next year for Higher level?
    Or is it just in certain schools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

There is possibly a pilot course in some schools?!

Not changing afaik, but will in the near future to try to stem the flow of people opting for ordinary level!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Swizz wrote: »
    Is the Maths course changing next year for Higher level?
    Or is it just in certain schools?

Its not changing*, there was meant to be a syllabus soon, but I think it got pushed back.

*I could quite possibly be wrong, I may or may not check, I have the proposed syllabus somewhere.

As far as I know, the new syllabus won't be introduced until 2011/2012. "Project Maths" is currently in some schools as a pilot programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Thank god

If I do crap and have to repeat I dont wanna be doing a new maths course. Hopefully I wont need to repeat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

Ye i heard about this, it only applys to people starting in 5th year in 2010 though.
    My maths teacher said it wa gonna be harder than the current course, so thank god I don't have to do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Gear9992 wrote: »
    Ye i heard about this, it only applys to people starting in 5th year in 2010 though.
    My maths teacher said it wa gonna be harder than the current course, so thank god I don't have to do it :)

Its looks considerably simplified.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

Fad wrote: »
    Its looks considerably simplified.

Really? I heard it contained stuff you would be currently learning in University, maths wise. Maybe she was going on about something else though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Gear9992 wrote: »

thank god i just miss it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

appears that they are putting far more emphasis on Probability & Statistics...

apperantly they are the kind of skills in most demand for their obvious real world application but are probably one of the most disliked by students I would think.

• Advertisement

From what I've seen of the new syllabus it looks simplier than the current one - whether it is or not, I don't know. I really hope they aren't "dumbing" it down, because that really is the last thing they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The roblem with leaving cert maths is its reputation! People think that honours maths is impossible!

They have to reform its teaching in primary schools rather than changing the lc! The problem is some people struggling at ordinary level and then others who think higher level is grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Im doing the project maths pilot course in OL
    My paper 2 will be differnet from that of other students around the countries

My school is one of one of around 25 schools doing project maths

ciano1 wrote: »

Youre in 5th year now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Swizz wrote: »
    Youre in 5th year now?

I am indeed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

ciano1 wrote: »

im doing it too.. its pretty crap we dont have a book :( learning of sheets and our teachers powerpoint stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Mazda wrote: »
    im doing it too.. its pretty crap we dont have a book :( learning of sheets and our teachers powerpoint stuff!

.....sounds a bit like DCG.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

My school is one of the schools doing it too.
    Although I'm not doing it (just finished 6th year...:O), I've heard about it from my brother, who'll be doing it next year...
    Apparently there's a LOT of probability, and it is 'dumbing down' HL maths... Like, his teacher is concerned that students won't be of a high enough standard, should they study maths at 3rd level..

aine-maire wrote: »
    My school is one of the schools doing it too.
    Although I'm not doing it (just finished 6th year...:O), I've heard about it from my brother, who'll be doing it next year...
    Apparently there's a LOT of probability, and it is 'dumbing down' HL maths... Like, his teacher is concerned that students won't be of a high enough standard, should they study maths at 3rd level..

Is your brother going into 5th year?

Advertisement