Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another "help me spend money" thread...

• 22-05-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

So, subsequent to the sale of my car (at long last) I'm now in the market for something else. Warning now that this is going to be a long post!
    Looking to purchase within the next two weeks, possibly even next week some time.
    The criteria:
    Performance - 0-60 in <8.0 seconds.
    Economy - >=30mpg.
    Sub-90k miles.
    Reliable.
    Leather.
    Prefer manual.

Budget is about 6k, but when searching online I'm looking for maximum 8k in the knowledge cash is king. I'm willing to go to the UK, it's no obstacle, have done it before and I'd greatly enjoy the drive back.

I've had a shortlist in mind for quite some time now, which in order of preference goes something like this:
    A39646_b.jpg
    1) Saab 9-3 2.3 Viggen Convertible
    Almost exact same as what I've just sold, which I liked a *lot*.
    The good:
    Been a bit of a dream car for quite some time (my aspirations are modest!)
    Know my way around one fairly well at this stage..
    Insane performance, but with torque steer to match - could probably live with it. 0-60 about 6.5 seconds.
    Would use the convertible a lot, got plenty of use out of my own.
    Rare car, probably about 12 viggens (coupe/convertible) in Ireland, only 2500 ever made.
    Future classic? Maybe, and I'm willing to keep it forever.
    Electric blue = awesome, rare colour.

The bad:
    Still have to get an insurance quote is the only thing, and it's quite possible this will rule it out.
    Expensive repairs possible, but same as rest of the list. Engine sludge problem even more likely than my car (any advice on this?)
    Not rock-steady reliability, but willing to put *some* €€€ into it.
    FWD and only 4 cylinder.
    Rare parts, small user base so online community listings limited

2) BMW 323ci / 325ci (e46):
    325ci.jpg
    Had one briefly but turned out to be a lemon, back to dealer - but I loved that car.

The good:
    6 pot BMW engine sounds incredible, great performance, great RWD handling.
    Reliable (I think?)
    Amazing interior, one of the best of a car in that era IMO.
    Information available online, online communities - any issue, a solution will be online somewhere along with DIY instructions!

The bad:
    E46 coupe quite common in the 318 variants.
    Very often clocked.
    Couldn't afford a convertible model, and don't think they look right. Would miss the cabrio hugely on sunny days.

E39-2.jpg
    3) BMW 5 series touring E39 (523/525/525d)
    No idea where this fits in, but I'm not over the moon about the looks of the saloon and the touring is quite rare. I think they look a mile better too.

The good:
    As above on the BMW, along with miles of space in the boot.
    Diesel models available in the guise of 525d, so ~40mpg!
    Diesel remap would give good returns I guess?

The bad:
    Touring suffers from some sort of rear suspension failure which costs a fortune to fix.
    It's only ever me, plus occasionally one other in the car. I don't need an estate, and I don't need the space. I live in Dublin and like to be able to parallel park sometimes, this might be a bit more difficult!

So as you can see, 1) has by far the most good. 1) is going with my heart, 3) is going with my head and 2) is somewhere in between.
    Will probably end up going with a BMW coup, as a Viggen is difficult to source in good and unmolested nick.

So, opinions on the above three, perhaps people can add to "the good & bad" and what to look for when purchasing.
    I don't care what other people think of what I'm driving (get a lot of stick for driving a "hairdressers car"), but would have some concerns for resale value.
    Am I mad to be even considering a Viggen when nobody but me would know what it is, and why it costs so much more than the regular Saab? Would gladly keep it forever, but will it last that long!? Should I just cop on and go for a nice BMW coup.
    Finally, other suggestions are welcome based on my interests, but I've pretty honed tastes, so it's incredibly unlikely I'd be interested in much else.
    When I do buy, I'll post loads of pics and perhaps a video to this thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Buy the 9-3 Viggen. But not the convertible. Take your timing finding one and buy the best. Own it forever.

Buy a cheap and cheerful early MX-5 1.6 as your second car. Open motoring, not expensive to tax or maintain. Classic insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Buy a cheap and cheerful early MX-5 1.6 as your second car. Open motoring, not expensive to tax or maintain. Classic insurance.

...nope, you won't get Classic on them yet.

Go on, ask me..........:p

OP, +1 on the Saab. Question though - have you a limit on engine size ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...nope, you won't get Classic on them yet.

Go on, ask me..........:p

Not on a '89 (20 year old) one?

Somehow I think you told me this before - did you? :)

Not on a '89 (20 year old) one?

Somehow I think you told me this before - did you? :)

89, if you find one, sure (hard to find, though). Mind you, loads of 90's around, and 1 yrs insurance wouldnt kill ya :D Ours was only....Eur 300 ?

Oh, and yes, I did.
    :p:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Buy the 9-3 Viggen. But not the convertible. Take your timing finding one and buy the best. Own it forever.

That's an insanely good idea, but one problem - I doubt I'll fit into an MX-5, or most 2-seaters for that matter at 6"3.

Other than the fact that the second car would be cheap to tax and maintain, probably greater reliability, is there any reason why you're suggesting hard top over soft top Viggen? I'd say the performance, particularly handling would be better with the solid roof, and there are more of them on the ground, but I prefer the looks of the soft top!

Question though - have you a limit on engine size ?
    It'd be more a function of engine size > MPG, so I'd consider a 530D but probably not a 530. Petrol limit probably about 2.8, Diesel could possibly stretch to the 3.

Thanks for the input thus far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Talking about holding on to a car for the rest of your life is not wise. Unless you intend to keep the car as a show car or a collectors item, all three cars, while all three are very desirable, will not be worth much in time to come.
    In any case, go for the Saab.
    If you want it, go for it. If you can afford it and can get a good one, that would be a cool car.
    Rare, cool and fast. There is a cool wall for boards, and the Saab would make it on there without too much argument.
    The Beemers wouldn't. (and rightly so)

....mmm, how about this:

a bit of a rare Saab..

9-5
    3.0t, (2.9 tax..) V6, so no sludge issues......low stress motor good for huge mileage......
    does about 27mpg on the commute the owner does (20kms)
    Tiptronic (flappy paddle :rolleyes: ) gearbox
    Every toy you can think of. Including cooled seats.

....about....€7k

Absolutely mint - and I'm not joking - condition.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

....mmm, how about this:

a bit of a rare Saab..

9-5
    3.0t, (2.9 tax..) V6, so no sludge issues......low stress motor good for huge mileage......

....about....€7k

:eek:

Is that still for sale? Or am I mixing that car up with another one?

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I don't think that model ever existed. There was a normally aspirated V6 lifted straight from the Opel Omega though, and I presume it would be quite a rare find as a 2002 car.

Yes it does exist. And it's in Cork :)
    :eek:

Is that still for sale? Or am I mixing that car up with another one?

Yes and no. He took it off the market, and got a 3-series for tooling about the rest of the time. I'm only presuming he'd sell it at the mo.

Everytime I drive it, though, I wonder wtf we're doing buying newer/smaller cars......we have it all wrong !

Ode To The Motorist

VolvoMan wrote:
    I don't think that model ever existed. There was a normally aspirated V6 lifted straight from the Opel Omega though, and I presume it would be quite a rare find as a 2002 car.

It sure existed! All those 3l V6 petrols were turbocharged in the Saabs!

Mind, only 200bhp from a 3l 6 pot turbo petrol engine is very meh though, isn't it? Years before that, Porsche managed to get more power out of a 3l 4 pot N/A engine. Some feat, considering that was only really half an engine :D (:p ;) to galwaytt - sorry hope I'm not boring you mate)

• Advertisement

..true, but you're forgetting about torque..........it's like one huge elastic band.

Makes a nice noise too, when pushed. Kinda muted fruity 6-sound....

And 200bhp is quite enough for fwd !

Ode To The Motorist

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Talking about holding on to a car for the rest of your life is not wise. Unless you intend to keep the car as a show car or a collectors item, all three cars, while all three are very desirable, will not be worth much in time to come.
    In any case, go for the Saab.
    If you want it, go for it. If you can afford it and can get a good one, that would be a cool car.
    Rare, cool and fast. There is a cool wall for boards, and the Saab would make it on there without too much argument.
    The Beemers wouldn't. (and rightly so)
    The only one I'd hold onto "forever" is the viggen - as in drive it until it stops - mainly because it'd never fetch the value it deserves in this country.
    And it is on the cool wall, I put it there - first page. :D

....mmm, how about this:

a bit of a rare Saab..

9-5

....about....€7k

Wow, very nice - is that the Griffen? The only things holding me back are
    1) the 9-5 body style doesn't do a huge pile for me, and
    2) If i was to open myself to 3.0l I'd be considering Jaguar S type 3.0 and 330ci over this
    Can still appreciate that'd be one hell of a car, and very very rare - but not for me. Thanks for the good suggestion though!
    ..true, but you're forgetting about torque..........it's like one huge elastic band.

Makes a nice noise too, when pushed. Kinda muted fruity 6-sound....

And 200bhp is quite enough for fwd !
    Whereas 230 is probably a little much, a lá viggen. :D

After thinking on this some more today, i've decided... Nothing. Ruled out the 5er touring, but after that it's a toss up. Head says 3 series, heart says Vig.
    Having investigated the cost of importing and VRTing the Viggen (~7.5k) it'd be costing far in excess of what it'd actually fetch at sale here, and although I'm willing to hold onto it for a very long time, at 20 years of age it'd be nice to have the fallback of a car that'd sell quick and get some of my money back if the need arise.

Then there's the fact I'd pick up an 01 325ci with low miles, HK sound pack, top spec which would still have good performance, but cost less to insure.

If I could get some kind of a reduction in VRT on the viggen by appeal (they're valuing it at 8k here), I'd be set -what are the chances of this though, how do I prove the market value of a 00' convi viggen when there are probably only about four in the country!!

Thanks

Cian

Try this for size: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/857366

As for the 3.0 choices. S-Type not as good as you think. I know someone who had to scrap one last year. Engine issues, and zero resale made it uneconomic to fix.

The 323ci is also out there - pls avoid the 4-pot's. Quite apart from anything else, they do have a propensity for coolant system problems, oil leaks, etc.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I thought that 9-3 had gotten sold a month back, no?

Anyway, I'd take this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001Y-SAAB-9-3-2.0-HOT-AERO-COUPE,-BIG-BUMPER-MODEL_W0QQitemZ140319089371QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090507?IMSfp=TL090507122002r11943) over it. An awful lot cheaper, and I dont think it'd be much slower what with the torque steer they;re fairly known for.

Cian

Try this for size: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/857366

As for the 3.0 choices. S-Type not as good as you think. I know someone who had to scrap one last year. Engine issues, and zero resale made it uneconomic to fix.

The 323ci is also out there - pls avoid the 4-pot's. Quite apart from anything else, they do have a propensity for coolant system problems, oil leaks, etc.

I was looking for that, it disappeared off carzone a while ago!
    Read a post somewhere about somebody who testdrove it and apparently the torque was just silly, slid everywhere - but eh could be just somebody a bit heavy footed acting the tool. Also, thought this sold about a month back? I had my eye on it...
    Re. the 3.0 S-Type, most certainly as good as I think. Mother has had two over the past six years, both for a *long* time and no trouble from either. Grandfather bought one based on this, and again no trouble over the last two years. Only complaint I'd have is they're far too detached from the road, 60mph feels like 30, which is nice - but not for me.
    (I'm always sticking up for the S-Type mind, so never mind me. :D)
    Re. a 4 pot, I'd never touch a 316/318 - at least 323.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I thought that 9-3 had gotten sold a month back, no?

Anyway, I'd take this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001Y-SAAB-9-3-2.0-HOT-AERO-COUPE,-BIG-BUMPER-MODEL_W0QQitemZ140319089371QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090507?IMSfp=TL090507122002r11943) over it. An awful lot cheaper, and I dont think it'd be much slower what with the torque steer they;re fairly known for.
    As would I but for the mileage- I know that's nothing on a decent engine, but I'll be putting up a lot over the next three years so want something ideally 60k, 80k...

Cyrus wrote: »
    Some of the best suggestions yet, fair play..
    I have a BMW coupe search bookmarked in my browser and yet none of those E46's have been showing up in it, I'm seriously puzzled..
    That 320 looks the best of the lot, okayperformance - 8.2 to 60 from a 2.2, a bit less than I was after but still very nice..
    It's a low miles car, it's quite new, sensible and cheap to tax but still fun..
    Only bad point is portacabin dealer.

The 323ci I wouldn't rule out either - better performance (marginally), but silver doesn't qutie do it for me, and that red leather only works in an M3. :D

E36 - good suggestion, but e36 shape doesn't do it for me.

That 5 series Msport is a stunner, the silver interior really does it for me, but the miles - although nothing on that engine, would put me off again. Otherwise, I'd be heading across the canal to see that on Monday!!

The alfa spider -a 'beaut, low miles, looks mint, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to like them. Appreciate them for what they are, but can't get to like them..

Thanks for the suggestions everybody so far, some great food for thought there - especially those E46's above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

How about an early 9-3 Sport Saloon Aero? Plenty of performance there. Or a C70 T5 cabrio could be nice?

9-3 Saloon is most definitely out, sorry :D
    Good suggestion on the C70 though. I looked at them last time around.. Heard nothing but bad things about them though???

Edit: Checked carzone - wow, some amazing value in them. All well and good, but that interior is absoultely disgraceful!:
    2002-Volvo-C70-8992085-997.jpg
    Pity, as they're not bad outside and have some nice 2.5l models...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Yes it does exist. And it's in Cork :)

Yes and no. He took it off the market, and got a 3-series for tooling about the rest of the time. I'm only presuming he'd sell it at the mo.

Everytime I drive it, though, I wonder wtf we're doing buying newer/smaller cars......we have it all wrong !
    It sure existed! All those 3l V6 petrols were turbocharged in the Saabs!

Mind, only 200bhp from a 3l 6 pot turbo petrol engine is very meh though, isn't it? Years before that, Porsche managed to get more power out of a 3l 4 pot N/A engine. Some feat, considering that was only really half an engine :D (:p ;) to galwaytt - sorry hope I'm not boring you mate)

That's strange. I could've sworn I deleted that post after doing a quick google and finding out that you were right.
    cianclarke wrote: »

I have an S70 with the same dashboard and I can assure you that the interior is a lot nicer than that. The only thing that isn't so nice in it is the steering wheel and maybe that dark wood trim, I'll give you that. But I can tell you, that picture definitely does not do the cars interior justice.

This is a far more flattering picture:

2004_volvo_c70_convertible_100007103_l.jpg

Hm, guess it's not /that/ bad okay - but after looking at the figures for even the 2.4 GT version, hardly inspiring!

In other news, the Viggen I had my eye on in the UK has just had it's price hiked by about £500, presumably it's been in high demand... :(

In even worse news, somebody did this to a perfectly good Viggen:
    http://short.ie/kbdig8
    That made baby jesus cry... Also, it's £5,500 more than the same car without all the crap added on...

• Advertisement

9-3 Saloon is most definitely out, sorry :D
    Good suggestion on the C70 though. I looked at them last time around.. Heard nothing but bad things about them though???

Edit: Checked carzone - wow, some amazing value in them. All well and good, but that interior is absoultely disgraceful!:

2.4T GT is what you'd want in a C70.
    Looked at them myself because they seem to be such stonking good value, but I'm picky and would want them in that gorgeous burnished orange colour, manual, and cream interior.

Here's a nicer pic of the interior: 1041159-3.jpg from http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1041159.htm

Just checked stats on the C70 again, that T5 2.3 litre is some bang-for-buck!! I just can't seem to get excited about one...

Right, unless I can get a sub-80k miles Viggen convertible in for less than 7k (not looking likely), it's looking like I'll be going for either an E46 325ci / 320ci / 323ci in (probably) that order of preference. I think I need another test drive in one to get me excited about the thought again, I'm sure I'll be sold once I hear the sound...
    Pick one up rightly priced, and it leaves me in a position to pick up a classic Saab 900 Turbo in a year or two, which is probably even cooler than the Viggen.
    I'm also having second thoughts on Viggen electric blue...:o

Do you mind sharing how much you sold your convertible for btw?

I think I'd been watching your sale for the whole 6 months :p

No probs yeah :) it was advertised at 3,600 - I was hoping for 3k, I got 2.8k. Lost a fair bit on it since I brought it in (post arse falling out of 2nd hand car market last August), but such is life...

http://short.ie/2e7bn8 - if this has leather, and he'll take £500 less or so, I think I might be going to Belfast! I've found the UK to be less open to negotiation however...

I've seen fair cheap 330d Coupes in the UK, dunno if you'd consider an oil burner though.

330cd started in 2004, otherwise yeah I'd consider it! Dang, had me excited for a second there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Just checked stats on the C70 again, that T5 2.3 litre is some bang-for-buck!! I just can't seem to get excited about one..

I suggest you try one out before you rule them out totally. They are a far more quality car for your money than the Saab.

Okay, I purchased..! A 2002 BMW 325ci Msport, auto.
    Absolutely immaculate condition, only 56k miles with FBMW service history, and it was *juust about* under budget at 6.5k!
    Great black leather, silver trim, black roof. So far, only two things - one the black surround from the drivers mirror is missing, will get that soon, and two - the drivers seat, the only of the like 10 different movements that doesn't work is forward/backward, the key one. It's drivable ATM, but it'd be better a bit back. Time to start googling..
    newcarb.jpg
    More pics once I have it washed 'n' polished!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Great stuff, looks a cracker.

You can update your sig now :P

Make sure to give us a full review once you get settled in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

89, if you find one, sure (hard to find, though). Mind you, loads of 90's around, and 1 yrs insurance wouldnt kill ya :D Ours was only....Eur 300 ?

Oh, and yes, I did.
    :p:p

Where did you get that insurance quote? Mines coming in at nearly double that on my mx5 on limited mileage.

Sweet car - well wear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cañitas

Nice selection of cars but maybe you should think outside of the box a bit.

Spending all cash on a car is a great idea but it can also mean...saving on pennies but losing on pounds.

Here is what i am doing. I too want a convertible...and great mileage and diesel...and my preference is a BMW.

So i am going to buy a simple cheap car that is reliable and easy to sell and save up some more...and when the price falls enough...take out a motoring loan with my cash to buy what i think you may like aswell...

BMW E93 320d convertible. 55 mpg. Low tax.

You certainly can choose to hold onto it forever but also it will be an easy one to sell.

2670040593_583d499045.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cañitas wrote: »
    Nice selection of cars but maybe you should think outside of the box a bit.

Spending all cash on a car is a great idea but it can also mean...saving on pennies but losing on pounds.

Here is what i am doing. I too want a convertible...and great mileage and diesel...and my preference is a BMW.

So i am going to buy a simple cheap car that is reliable and easy to sell and save up some more...and when the price falls enough...take out a motoring loan with my cash to buy what i think you may like aswell...

BMW E93 320d convertible. 55 mpg. Low tax.

You certainly can choose to hold onto it forever but also it will be an easy one to sell.

2670040593_583d499045.jpg?v=0

fair enough but you could do that ad finitum, what if in a year you decide you want a porsche convertinle instead and wait another year and so on and so on

and a diesel convertible, a BMW diesel when they do some of the sweetest petrol engines :eek:

please dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublindaly

<snip>
    use www.adverts.ie
    </snip>

Advertisement