Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will Eircom offer same speed as BT 24mb

Options
  • 22-05-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

With BT offering 24mb,do you guys think Eircom will follow suite sometime soon:confused:?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

kamin99 wrote: »
    With BT offering 24mb,do you guys think Eircom will follow suite sometime soon:confused:?

I doubt if there is a single copper loop in Ireland that would support 24 Mbits/sec. Even for a subscriber located 200 m from the local DSLAM/MSAN. The copper line plant in Britain is in even worse condition. If BT is advertising 24 Mbits/sec over copper in either country, read the small print.

The only way to get decent speed, irrespective of distance and broadband usage subscriber density, is fibre optic (FTTP). Anything else is a con in 2009. Unless you are prepared to put up with morse code speeds for your internet connection!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

probe wrote: »
    I doubt if there is a single copper loop in Ireland that would support 24 Mbits/sec. Even for a subscriber located 200 m from the local DSLAM/MSAN. The copper line plant in Britain is in even worse condition. If BT is advertising 24 Mbits/sec over copper in either country, read the small print.

The only way to get decent speed, irrespective of distance and broadband usage subscriber density, is fibre optic (FTTP). Anything else is a con in 2009. Unless you are prepared to put up with morse code speeds for your internet connection!

Dont be so negative, of course you can get 24 mb through copper, true that only a minority can as you need to be fairly close to the exchange, less than 1.4 km with a loop loss of around 10 dB, but I have seen a few (including myself when I was connecting through one of their LLU2 connections), i'd get transfers of aprox 2-2.2 mbps which I think is acceptable enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Interesting to see that BT is falsely advertising its BB speed, wonder what comreg have to say about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

kamin99 wrote: »
    Interesting to see that BT is falsely advertising its BB speed, wonder what comreg have to say about this?
    Don't they say 'Up to 24mb' though?

Bohrio wrote: »
    Dont be so negative, of course you can get 24 mb through copper, true that only a minority can as you need to be fairly close to the exchange, less than 1.4 km with a loop loss of around 10 dB, but I have seen a few (including myself when I was connecting through one of their LLU2 connections), i'd get transfers of aprox 2-2.2 mbps which I think is acceptable enough!

Looks as if you have around 20 Mbits/sec rather than 24 Mbits/sec.

ADSL2+ speeds drop off after around 900 m. I suppose in a country where the over-priced unregulated cable TV monopoly broadband maxes out at 20 Mbits/sec, I can understand how some people might want to feel thankful for small mercies :-) Especially if they haven't experienced real broadband at work or elsewhere...

I will refrain from dwelling on contention ratios, and the poor backhaul capacity one notices in Ireland when downloading content from sites located outside of the country, in an attempt not to be "negative" in over-priced, bad value for money, rip-off Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd estimate based on the average length of copper pairs and fact that it's unlikly you can get more than 20Mbps >1km no matter what DSL you use, that maybe under 10% of phone lines can do > 20Mbps.

Cable will on the other hand get better.

Looks as if you have around 20 Mbits/sec rather than 24 Mbits/sec.

ADSL2+ speeds drop off after around 900 m. I suppose in a country where the over-priced unregulated cable TV monopoly broadband maxes out at 20 Mbits/sec, I can understand how some people might want to feel thankful for small mercies :-) Especially if they haven't experienced real broadband at work or elsewhere...

I will refrain from dwelling on contention ratios, and the poor backhaul capacity one notices in Ireland when downloading content from sites located outside of the country, in an attempt not to be "negative" in over-priced, bad value for money, rip-off Ireland.

Not sure if I understand 2,2 mBps is what you would expect from a 24 mbps connection, taking into the account ip and PPPoE overhead of course, 20 mbps would be around 1.8 mBps

I agree that 20 mBps would be a more appropiate product, in Italy, Telecom Italia offers 20 mbps and Voice per 29 euro per month, well up to 20 mbps.

Also, totally true when you say overpriced bb, but in regards copper I have seen worse, I often go to spain on holidays and they are under very similar circumstances, their copper is horrible too so Telefonica wont offer speeds higher than 10mb for residential customers, they counterattack by giving free calls and other services but they can do little more.

Now I know that there are countries such as Sweeden or some eastern European contries offering fantastic speeds at a very low price but, let's face it, it will be sometime before we reach those levels, if the goverment would've invested money 10 years ago when Ireland economy was growing I'd say it would have been possible to see that in place now, but it didnt happen and even though we have to remain possible it is hard. That's why I find it admirable that companies such as UPC are trying to push themselves to the limit trying to provide us with "real" broadband.

Still, they advertise 20 mbps but as you can see, most people can only get have the speed if lucky, that's not false advertisement either.

Other companies such as Smart I think that the quality of service they are trying to offer to the residential market is suicide, especially now that they have started using Eircom Bitstream products.

I can't complaint, if I compare my old BT connection to what I have now it'd be like comparing a Talbot with a Lamborghini, they just play in different leagues! ;)

watty wrote: »
    I'd estimate based on the average length of copper pairs and fact that it's unlikly you can get more than 20Mbps >1km no matter what DSL you use, that maybe under 10% of phone lines can do > 20Mbps.

Cable will on the other hand get better.

I'd say even less but very likely.

What is true is that if ISPs would offer up to 20 mbps there would me more than one within that 10% calling complaining why dont they offer 24 mbps instead and why does he have to content with 20 mbps if he can have 24 mbps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

So getting back to the the thread header. Is it likely that Eircom will offer an
    'up to' 24 Mb in the near future?

Also, which of Smart, Magnet, or BT would be the best company to go to for 24Mb, right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dasilva94 wrote: »
    So getting back to the the thread header. Is it likely that Eircom will offer an
    'up to' 24 Mb in the near future?

Also, which of Smart, Magnet, or BT would be the best company to go to for 24Mb, right now?

They already do, its a business package and only on ADSL2+ exchanges

• Advertisement

So which do people reckon would be the best package to go for, out of the ones I mentioned above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

So which do people reckon would be the best package to go for, out of the ones I mentioned above?

At the end of the day its all Eircom's copper for the lastmile, there's no guarantee of the quality of the copper

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Which ever one you can get, they don't all operate out of the same exchange.

The quality you get is down to the Eircom copper line you are on.

Most would probably agree that Smart and Magnet are better then BT, as they have no caps and better customer support, but BT is cheaper so depends on what is more important to you.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They already do, its a business package and only on ADSL2+ exchanges

In most European countries, ADSL2+ is the norm for every subscriber - in France all operators offer ADSL2+ with up to 24+ Mbits/sec, including free phone calls to 30 to 50+ countries, and typically 50 free TV channels + options for pay TV and HD for EUR 30 per month for the package. In France, the copper loops are properly maintained, kept free from water ingress and dampness, just like the railway tracks. No weeds or engineering deviations from a near-perfect "permanent way" to use Irish Rail's quaint lingo. Driving around rural Ireland one notices "telegraph poles" (to use more quaint lingo) falling into fields, totally neglected. Thanks to eircom being owned by a succession of highly leveraged hedge funds.

Eircom "Broadband Home Professional" costs just over EUR 75 per month including the line subscription for something that typically delivers 5 to 6 Mbits/sec. No unlimited calling to 50+ countries. No ADSL2+. No TV. A total shambolic ripoff for something that less than half that money would buy in France with around 20 Mbits/sec + free unlimited calls to much of the world + lots of TV.

Rip-off, hedge fund Ireland!

In most European countries, ADSL2+ is the norm for every subscriber - in France all operators offer ADSL2+ with up to 24+ Mbits/sec, including free phone calls to 30 to 50+ countries, and typically 50 free TV channels + options for pay TV and HD for EUR 30 per month for the package. In France, the copper loops are properly maintained, kept free from water ingress and dampness, just like the railway tracks. No weeds or engineering deviations from a near-perfect "permanent way" to use Irish Rail's quaint lingo. Driving around rural Ireland one notices "telegraph poles" (to use more quaint lingo) falling into fields, totally neglected. Thanks to eircom being owned by a succession of highly leveraged hedge funds.

Eircom "Broadband Home Professional" costs just over EUR 75 per month including the line subscription for something that typically delivers 5 to 6 Mbits/sec. No unlimited calling to 50+ countries. No ADSL2+. No TV. A total shambolic ripoff for something that less than half that money would buy in France with around 20 Mbits/sec + free unlimited calls to much of the world + lots of TV.

Rip-off, hedge fund Ireland!

It just goes to show, how Harney's 'Closer to Boston than Berlin'
    has played a big part in wrecking our economy due to the following of the Yank laissez faire (do fúck all) model.

The last decent politician in office was Albert Reynolds. He put the latest
    telecom equipment in the exchanges in the mid 80s, meaning you no longer had to wait years for a phone line. Though little has been done since then.

Advertisement