Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic Veg & Vegetarians

Options
  • 22-05-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

First time posting on this forum. My partner's been a veggie for 10+ years but I'm a recent convert. (Sorry if this has already been covered)

I've started growing my own veg lately and was a bit surprised to see when I went to buy organic fertilizer that a lot of it contained blood & bone. Now I know you can buy it without animal products but I wonder has the organic veg you buy in the shop been fertilized with blood & bone & how Veggies feel about this in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I think it's techincally fine since the protein and vitamins and minerals are what's in the veggies, not any of the actual animal. However, it's still a by-product of the slaughter industry and would like to avoid it if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

an interesting one. As always it's your own conscience you have to answer to but I'd try and avoid it. It's no biggie really as all soil will contain massive amounts of 'organic' decomposing matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's up to you how you feel about it. As with the like of guinness, where animals would be used in manufacture but are not in the final product, some would avoid it and some would not. The difference for me is intent. So if something is purposely used in manufacture of a product that contains animal remains then I would not be happy with it, such as fertiliser containing animal remains, but I wouldn't have a problem if the soil it was grown in happened to have decaying animals etc. Of course it's hard enough to find out issues like what fertiliser was used on a vegetable and so on.

I firmly lock that information away in the hear no evil, see no evil compartment.
    Along with the knowledge that my local organic veg grower uses her poo from her dry toilet as tomato compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement