Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Book App

Options
  • 23-05-2009 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey - Anyone see the new Irish Phone book app for iPhone? How cool is that? No more 11811, 11850, 11890.

The phone book in your pocket.

Sweet!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

iphonefan wrote: »
    Hey - Anyone see the new Irish Phone book app for iPhone? How cool is that? No more 11811, 11850, 11890.

The phone book in your pocket.

Sweet!

Do you have any connections to the application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wether connected or not. It is actually excellent. My missus uses it on her iphone, if I had one, I'd be using it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

iMax wrote: »
    Wether connected or not. It is actually excellent. My missus uses it on her iphone, if I had one, I'd be using it too.
    Its actually pretty **** in my opinion. I typed in Electrician and plumber in the Offaly region and nothing showed up for either. I think I'll be sticking to the more reliable 118**.

you did select "business" ? rather than the default "residential" ?

Anyway, it's not the golden pages, it's the phone book. I don't know of any Electricians and plumbers that have listings in the phone book.

you did select "business" ? rather than the default "residential" ?
    Nothing under either.
    Anyway, it's not the golden pages, it's the phone book. I don't know of any Electricians and plumbers that have listings in the phone book.
    Well then why have a business tab if its only for residental listings. There are businesses listed so why not be able to define them by pofession/service.

It might prove handy for residential listings, but I can't ever remember ringing 118** for a residential number before.

In terms of replacing 118** I think it has a bit of a way to go.

• Advertisement

Wow... someone has a tizzie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Quazzie wrote: »
    Its actually pretty **** in my opinion. I typed in Electrician and plumber in the Offaly region and nothing showed up for either. I think I'll be sticking to the more reliable 118**.

Perhaps, Quazzie, you shouldn't blame the app. Curious, I also downloaded Ireland's Phone Book (free! can't beat the price), and tried your search. Sure enough, no results.

Then I tried the Eircom phone book online for 'electrician' in Offaly, then for 'plumber', and got no results there either.

Maybe they've all gone into politics or something. Probably a good thing; we need someone who can fix the country, which seems to be in a state of shock and leaking jobs.

luckat wrote: »
    Perhaps, Quazzie, you shouldn't blame the app. Curious, I also downloaded Ireland's Phone Book (free! can't beat the price), and tried your search. Sure enough, no results.

Then I tried the Eircom phone book online for 'electrician' in Offaly, then for 'plumber', and got no results there either.

Maybe they've all gone into politics or something. Probably a good thing; we need someone who can fix the country, which seems to be in a state of shock and leaking jobs.
    That could be the case. The app is obviously just copying someone else's database for numbers, and just making it easily accessible for the iPhone, so maybe its the original database that should be criticized not the App.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

That could be the case. The app is obviously just copying someone else's database for numbers, and just making it easily accessible for the iPhone, so maybe its the original database that should be criticized not the App.

It looks like the app is tapping directly into eircomphonebook.ie (or a very similar online DB) when you do a search because it doesn't work if you don't have internet access. The DB isn't local, the app is just a front-end for the DB, much the same way as the BART app for the bus and train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    It looks like the app is tapping directly into eircomphonebook.ie (or a very similar online DB) when you do a search because it doesn't work if you don't have internet access. The DB isn't local, the app is just a front-end for the DB, much the same way as the BART app for the bus and train.

Oh, that's a pity. It would be handy to have the phone book there as a normal database on the phone without having to use the net to tap into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

luckat wrote: »
    Oh, that's a pity. It would be handy to have the phone book there as a normal database on the phone without having to use the net to tap into it.

The database would probably be too big to fit on the phone. I look after a database for a directory enquries company, so I have a fair idea of the size of it. ;) Plus you have the whole issue of keeping it updated - these things change daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's a fantastic app, I've used it a few times already for both business and residential numbers as well as testing a few names and it's perfect.

Can't believe someone is criticising it, it's free and saves you the cost of an 11811 call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The database would probably be too big to fit on the phone. I look after a database for a directory enquries company, so I have a fair idea of the size of it. ;) Plus you have the whole issue of keeping it updated - these things change daily.

the business db isn't that big, i coded a very basic app with numbers scraped from goldenpages, so you don't need an internet connection. costs money though :-)

check it out here: <snippedy snip. PM sent :) >

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i have this on my ipod touch, handy little app, but in my case i need wifi for it to work :mad: no 3G like you iPhone guys :mad: LOL

Since my original damning review of this app I have since used it quiet a bit and found it to be decent. I then decided to buy the pro. Neither seem to work for me for finding any numbers. Residential business, any region. All the same. No results. Anyone any ideas what it could be.

Btw it's a week 45 jailbroke phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

Since my original damning review of this app I have since used it quiet a bit and found it to be decent. I then decided to buy the pro. Neither seem to work for me for finding any numbers. Residential business, any region. All the same. No results. Anyone any ideas what it could be.

Btw it's a week 45 jailbroke phone.
    try typing the name of the person or the surname. try typing o2 under business and itll show the phone number and location of different o2 stores in that area. but newly opened stores arent listed yet

I don't think you understand. No matter what I search for in any location shows no results.

When I search, the loading wheel show up in the centre of the screen (location B) as of it's searching, bit it doesn't show up beside my wifi logo (location A). Does that mean it's searching but for some reason is not actually accessing the Internet?

photopy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Same happens with me.. Try to search for a surname like 'Daly' in Dublin and doesn't any results.. I have jailbroken and unlocked 3gs

just tried it and you guys are right. doesnt seem to show results. have been using this for quite sometime and its the first time this happened. maybe the dev is working on an update. but mine shows the results with no listings. wierd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

iKeith wrote: »
    just tried it and you guys are right. doesnt seem to show results. have been using this for quite sometime and its the first time this happened. maybe the dev is working on an update. but mine shows the results with no listings. wierd
    not working for me either , strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I used it about a week ago and it was working fine. My guess is somebody has made changes to the database it uses. Might just have to wait for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Same here not working at all, it's not connecting.

bigfeller wrote: »
    I used it about a week ago and it was working fine. My guess is somebody has made changes to the database it uses. Might just have to wait for an update.

I don't think the database is the problem. It's not even trying to access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dermdaly

Hi All,
    I'm the developer of the "Ireland's Phone Book" App. Some people have mentioned that there is a problem with it, and I can confirm that this is the case.
    Here's the official statement regarding it:
    http://tapadoo.com/2009/a-message-about-irelands-phone-book/
    Thanks,
    Dermot.

thanks for the info. please let us know if its up and running again. will buy the pro version as soon as you sort this

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oldmalo7

kceire wrote: »
    i have this on my ipod touch, handy little app, but in my case i need wifi for it to work :mad: no 3G like you iPhone guys :mad: LOL

any app for android for eircom phonebook ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 davidescu

i was looking for the eircom phone book app for the iPhone, but i cant find it in the apps store, any ideas??

Advertisement