Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punisher?

Options
  • 23-05-2009 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in getting into The Punisher

First of all is it worth it?

Secondly where do i start? I know Garth Ennis did some, but which is the first one of his?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I was in the same boat, but then a wise friend of mine got me to read the Punisher Max series (amazing!). I'd highly recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punisher_max

There are eleven volumes (as listed on the page). Get readin and enjoy!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Garth Ennis did the Punisher Max series which is generally regarded as pretty good (I haven't read it so can't speak from personal experience). Circle of Blood is another story that's generally held in high regard, and should be out as a trade as well.

The only Punisher comic I own is Punisher: The End, a one-shot by Garth Ennis and Richard Corben. It's great, though very grim. Worth picking up if you see it, though I think it's only ever been released as a single issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah I'd definitely recommend Ennis's Max series also.
    Army of one is another decent story by Ennis. Not as graphic as the max series but there's some nice humour in it.
    I hear the Punishers origin story, Punisher Born, is supposed to be good but I've never personally read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 emm32

To answer your question, yes it is.
    I have read all of Ennis's Punisher stuff. If you like Ennis its all good. If you are going to get them, read them in sequence. There are a few one shots, specials etc that you can take in too. Do a quick search on play (or where ever) for "punisher" or Garth Ennis" and you'll get a flavour of his recent stuff.
    I like his humour, grittiness and the fact that he does'nt shy away from issues or make issues out of stuff that should'nt be. It just seemed that these were comics not written for kids (which I liked) but as it happens "Born" was the first comic my son actually bought himself (with his own money as it were) and he has become a big fan of punisher just on the back of the Ennis stuff. Its entertaining but not juvenile, if that makes any sense.

If you like Ennis he has also done some other stuff worth a read. "The Boys", "Just A Pilgrim", the "Kev" Authority stuff, "Preacher", "The Pro" (do a search for Ennis on play)
    There is also a spin off off called "The Midnighter" from "The Authority". That was also entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dmcloughney

I picked up essential punisher vol 1 a while back. It had a cool cross over with daredevil done by frank miller which was a good read but the best story arc was "circle of blood" by Steven Grant and inked by John Beatty, animal art work and great violence, a underrated punisher classic me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 jabbathehurt

Im sure I saw a collected version of Punisher Max somewhere I've read a few volumes and must get back into it. Ennis's stuff is great you know what your getting when you read his stuff.
    "Does exactly what it says on the tin"

Advertisement