Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fitness Records 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I have the same issue the only way I'd get my chest to touch the ground first is if I put my feet up on a chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What are the rules regarding the push ups? I didn't see your chest touch the ground once there Kev.
    From my point of view for a full push up, your chest has to touch the ground.
    Bossarky posted a crossfit video with them earlier on.

I never touch my chest to the ground, esp. if I was trying to do max numbers in a minute as it would slow you right down for safety reasons.

I do use pushup handles, this allows me to have my chest go further than chest to the ground. The slight incline means it is easier, but you can always raise your feet up as high as the handles so you are effectively back on flat ground, but able to go really deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Well according to the rules, you should go all the way down (woman puts her chest to the floor) and all the way up, the head should never touch the floor.
    It doesn't call out specifically that you should touch your chest but it implies it.

I just had a look at the Guinness book of records and this topic looks like a mine field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Well according to the rules, you should go all the way down (woman puts her chest to the floor) and all the way up, the head should never touch the floor.
    It doesn't call out specifically that you should touch your chest but it implies it.

How about your elbows just have to come above your back or parallel with your back? I think this is just more of a "fun" challenge though and wouldn't lose too much sleep over the form. Back when I was about 15 I'd have dominated this event lol, 40+ looks tough now, but with my new training program killing me atm I think it's a board record I'll shoot for in a few weeks !! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah I'm not a judge or anything but I'd call them good push ups. Would be happy if they were mine anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Kev M wrote: »
    I think this is just more of a "fun" challenge though and wouldn't lose too much sleep over the form.

+1. These bodyweight challenges are supposed to be fun. If they get people doing a bit of exercise then their purpose is served.

As long as the form isn't totally atrocious then stuff will be included in the records list.

edit - don't ask me what totally atrocious form looks like - I'm sure we'll know it when we see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    How much lower am I supposed to go? :P

That's not even below parallel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Kevpants push-ups look good. In fairness, the most important standard that really matters for push-ups is to maintain rigidity from head to toe - body taut throughout.

My record is 49 in a minute - will give it a lash soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i believe i got 16 in a row once, not sure of the time but i might give it a lash for the craicailte :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

had a go the other day, got 54 in a minute. Will give it another go and video it tomorrow!

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    don't ask me what totally atrocious form looks like - I'm sure we'll know it when we see it.
    Here is an example, 173 "dips" in a minute, and on a supposed guinness world record site:eek:
    http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Most-parallel-bar-dips-One-minute/video/93269/7691.html

Looks like he's riding something!

Dunno how many dips I could do, I did 30 quick ones a week or so ago. Have done over 30 before but these are all on V-shaped bars. I can probably only do 2/3 the amount on parallel ones, haven't tried for numbers in a long time.

I mean a V-shaped bar like this
    fw333_th.jpg
    Parsley wrote: »
    got 54 in a minute. Will give it another go and video it tomorrow!
    But can you beat this auld biddy from down in curves ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

LOL! Scary video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

rubadub wrote: »
    fw333_th.jpg

Please tell me you made that and have some specs handy!! thats looks wicked, if you have em PM me or summit... cheers

Please tell me you made that and have some specs handy!!
    Nah, not mine, I will have to get a photo of mine uploaded, it is VERY basic but works well for me. You could easily make one from wood. I use 2x20kg weights to keep it held down, they rest on bars at the bottom.

Here is an example, 173 "dips" in a minute, and on a supposed guinness world record site:eek:
    http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Most-parallel-bar-dips-One-minute/video/93269/7691.html

Looks like he's riding something!

What the fcuk is that sh1t?

I counted 0 legit dips there :D, but i dont work for the guineass book of records so it doesnt count i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Parsley wrote: »
    had a go the other day, got 54 in a minute. Will give it another go and video it tomorrow!

I think this is one of the challanges the lightweight guys have in the bag. I'd like to see how well Khannie or Colm can do with this!

I only got 43 :( thought I'd do better but I had worked my chest the day before and was just after finishing an MMA class and I was tired and.... :D
    Hanley wrote: »
    I actually thought it was a joke...
    If you watch the video the presenter has a baffeled look on her face when he starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

If that's the standard I'd like to review my pushups...

If you watch the video the presenter has a baffeled look on her face when he starts!
    Thats because he looks like an old man with parkinsons on a zimmer frame!

Says he did 160 pushups in 60sec too. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/6151560.stm

More rules here http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html

102 "pushups" in 30 seconds, but would certainly not pass any rules I have seen!

I'd like to see how well Khannie or Colm can do with this!
    Colm would be interesting as I expect he would be using very strict form as per crossfit. I think he was saying in another thread that 10 "gold standard" pushups would be impressive. In another thread I showed this video of pushups

I only managed 10 of these using stands.
    when I posted it the replies were
    Transform wrote: »
    gosh i do all my normal press ups as that guy called them hip press ups and is also the way i get all clients to do them - better for shoulder safety also.

Doing press ups with elbows out i really discourage and its much better with elbows in a bit and on a pair of dumbbells or stands.
    Roper wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering where he was getting that from. I'd never encourage anyone to flare their elbows out like that. Also what was with the "advanced exercise" business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'm pretty sure there's s tube of lube beside him there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

WTF.. Is that some form of crunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Gave this a go myself today for pull-ups

Pull-ups
    Bodyweight: 104kg
    Reps: 16 (17th/last one was dodgy)
    Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TOHGxmw0U

I did this less than one minute i dont think my camera man knew when to let me know when it was a minute up :D, and i also had another rep done before the video started (wont bother counting it :)). Will probs give this another go in a week or two

Pull-ups
    Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TOHGxmw0U

I did this less than one minute i dont think my camera man knew when to let me know when it was a minute up :D, and i also had another rep done before the video started (wont bother counting it :)). Will probs give this another go in a week or two

v. Impressive

Bossarky its looks like you've a challenger

michael, you look pretty lean at 104kg, very impressive with such a wide grip also

Pull-ups

Added. Well done.

Was hoping some people would tackle this one as I need a bit of competition if I'm going to get 20 by year end :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

kevpants wrote: »
    seal.jpg

+1

Pull-ups
    Very good, do you do any weighted pullups/chinups, if so what sort of weight & reps?

• Advertisement

Very good, do you do any weighted pullups/chinups, if so what sort of weight & reps?

there on his Youtube account

Advertisement