Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So tonight going to the pub...

Options
  • 23-05-2009 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

So yea, I was up at a friends house and a few people came over for a few can before they hit the pub, I was not drinking because I'm on antibiotics. I decided I might as well go out and just be the DD. We arrive at the pub and just at the door and I had left my phone in the car so I go back to get it, I come back and head in the door and the bouncer stops me looking for id, fair eoungh I look young I'm only 19 so i head back to the car and get my student card come back and he wont accept it, go back to the car again and get my licence and passport, I show it to him and he says how much have you
    had... I'm like nothing I'm driving tonight and not drinking then he says I'm sorry we only take garda ID here. I point out that the 3 people in front of me just showed passports hes not having it and goes mad at me I'm like WTF?
    I just showed you a student card, my lisance and a passport and you wont let me in? he starts telling me that by law I must show a garda ID. I then point to the stamp on my passport that says US immigration and followed by I can get to the USA with this but I cant get behind this door? he starts going mad and me so I just ring my friends and say I'm going home because your man is being a dick, any similar experiences?
    This really pissed me off.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Bouncers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

By the sounds of it he was just on some sort of power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Any chance you look like a scumbag?:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Name agus shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Senna wrote: »
    Any chance you look like a scumbag?:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Very far from it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Call in to the bar during the day time and talk to the manager.

Passport and drivers licence are offical forms of ID along with the Garda 18s card. They can't just not accept it. Another reason has to be given, be that your standard of dress, intox level and known problem case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Im worse for wear....hope ya had a great night....allls gud in the world (jesus, im goin ta suffer for this tomorro ahaha) hope ya all had a great night YAY, sound out lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

In soviet Russia you reject pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Print this out and give it to him: http://tinyurl.com/q5xgfq

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

He was just looking for a reason to not let you in with the ID thing, its a well used excuse to not let someone in without giving the real reason. I'm guessing he got a bad feeling off you/ thought you were someone else/ thought you were a scumbag etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

You should have just rang your friends... told them to come back out and went to another pub. Then told the bouncer to go fk himself with his own fist and problem solved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

lol5605 wrote: »
    he starts telling me that by law I must show a garda ID. I then point to the stamp on my passport that says US immigration and followed by I can get to the USA with this but I cant get behind this door?

LOL love it.

But piss poor form if your mates stayed in there while you weren't let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He probably didn't want a DD taking up the space of a drinking punter. Not much to be made from a lad drinking water all night.

Not right I know but wouldn't surprise me if that was why you were refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He probably didn't want a DD taking up the space of a drinking punter. Not much to be made from a lad drinking water all night.

Not right I know but wouldn't surprise me if that was why you were refused.

I thought pubs made mor money off soft drinks than they did from alcohol...?

Anyway. Vote with feet. If I was in the pub already I'd have rounded up the group and left too. Especially if we'd ordered but hadn't paid yet.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bad form your mates didn't come out to move on somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

So yea, I was up at a friends house and a few people came over for a few can before they hit the pub, I was not drinking because I'm on antibiotics. I decided I might as well go out and just be the DD. We arrive at the pub and just at the door and I had left my phone in the car so I go back to get it, I come back and head in the door and the bouncer stops me looking for id, fair eoungh I look young I'm only 19 so i head back to the car and get my student card come back and he wont accept it, go back to the car again and get my licence and passport, I show it to him and he says how much have you
    had... I'm like nothing I'm driving tonight and not drinking then he says I'm sorry we only take garda ID here. I point out that the 3 people in front of me just showed passports hes not having it and goes mad at me I'm like WTF?
    I just showed you a student card, my lisance and a passport and you wont let me in? he starts telling me that by law I must show a garda ID. I then point to the stamp on my passport that says US immigration and followed by I can get to the USA with this but I cant get behind this door? he starts going mad and me so I just ring my friends and say I'm going home because your man is being a dick, any similar experiences?

I love these threads, as while you sound like you a decent enough complaint ( i would suggest you call the PSA and make a complaint about the place, not just sit here on the internet and bitch about it ) we will undoubtedly get a whole slew of Saturday Hangover Superhero's coming on talking about how completely innocent and actually sober they were last night when being stopped by security staff all around the country. :D

Seriously man, once you didn't start giving him **** or obviously break a house rule he should have let you in. The Garda ID thing is not true, there a lot of things covered under the acceptable proof of age argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I'd say you would have gotten in if you had have brought you passport up first time round.. why didn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Dragan wrote: »
    we will undoubtedly get a whole slew of Saturday Hangover Superhero's coming on talking about how completely innocent and actually sober they were last night when being stopped by security staff all around the country. :D

Honestly, Dragan, as a non drinker, I think you're deluding yourself if you think there aren't stacks of blokes who get refused into clubs for no good reason all over the country every weekend. I've been refused bucketloads of times, especially when I was younger. Been refused a fair few times for being locked, too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Loads of examples of this...too many to list!

I've one friend who, on the night before his birthday was refused entry to a certain nightclub by the bouncer until midnight when he would be "officially" eighteen! Granted, looking back it's hilarious but at the time very annoying!!

But it's the same as buying cigarettes, the slightest bit of odd behaviour and they suspect you as being underage. I've had incidents where something as simple as a badly timed cough whilst walking to the door has alerted the bouncer's suspicions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Print this out and give it to him: http://tinyurl.com/q5xgfq

I didn't know that was a valid form of ID?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

niallon wrote: »
    I've one friend who, on the night before his birthday was refused entry to a certain nightclub by the bouncer until midnight when he would be "officially" eighteen! Granted, looking back it's hilarious but at the time very annoying!!

A bouncer with a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Mossy Monk wrote: »

And a job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Friend of mine had an experience not dislike this a few months back. (Bouncer on a power trip). He rang us as we where inside waiting for him and a couple of others. One of the lads and his girlfriend went up to the bar and ordered about 80 euro worth of cocktails and another girl ordered about 12 shots. Then as the barman had the drinks ready told him they where leaving as the bouncer would'nt let there friend in and the drinks where for him. We walked out and spent our money somewhere else.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Oh ya, as I said, looking back it's bloody hilarious but at the time we were shocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

Highsider wrote: »
    Friend of mine had an experience not dislike this a few months back. (Bouncer on a power trip). He rang us as we where inside waiting for him and a couple of others. One of the lads and his girlfriend went up to the bar and ordered about 80 euro worth of cocktails and another girl ordered about 12 shots. Then as the barman had the drinks ready told him they where leaving as the bouncer would'nt let there friend in and the drinks where for him. We walked out and spent our money somewhere else.:)
    love it :D serves them right!
    dont really have this problem now as most of us are in early 20s, one of my mates is soon to be 21 and she's been going to an over 21s club this past 4 yrs, she cant wait till her birthday to take out her passport and show them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I just showed you a student card, my lisance and a passport and you wont let me in? he starts telling me that by law I must show a garda ID. I then point to the stamp on my passport that says US immigration and followed by I can get to the USA with this but I cant get behind this door?

Usually trying to be a smart arse won't win you any favours with door staff. I'm pretty sure he knows what a passport is. As in most places management reserve the right to refuse admission, and the door staff are invested with this power as proxy for the management, as such he can refuse you on any grounds he sees fit at the time. There's diddlysquat you can do about it, except take the matter up with the bar manager in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

The VFI actual send out posters to pubs basically saying the only ID to accept is Black ID. I do think passports are ok but drivers license are way to easy to fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Bouncers, some of them, are just on sad little power trips...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There's very little you can say to the bouncer that he'll give a crap about. You should speak to the manager and explain that he's losing the business of yourself and your friends, plus anyone you speak to who goes to this pub because of his bouncer's refusal of perfectly good ID (passport).

Also, get yourself a Garda ID so this crap doesn't happen again (plus it would be a serious pain in the hole if your passport gets lost or nicked)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Skyuser wrote: »
    The VFI actual send out posters to pubs basically saying the only ID to accept is Black ID. I do think passports are ok but drivers license are way to easy to fake.

That's a bit racist like

Advertisement