Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 10d vs fuji S2 pro

• 23-05-2009 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys.

I'm looking to invest in a new DSLR. Up until now i have been using a canon d60 which has never missed a beat for me over the years but I have been asked by a friend to take some shots for his band at a couple of gigs. Problem is I have been struggling to shoot at live gigs due to d60's limited ISO(capped at 1000) so i have been looking into taking the plunge and upgrading. My options are the canon d10 and the fujifilm s2 pro both have the same ISO at 1600 and both are within my budget of 250e second hand. Both on paper are near identical except the fuji takes nikon lenses. Any help choosing between the would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You wont get better high iso pictures from a 7 year old cameras then you can get at the moment, so i'd look at at the a second hand nikon d60 or an eos 350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I have a 10D with lenses for sale on adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Heres a 350 for a very good price on adverts: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=115701&cat=51

You may also want to consider the sony a200 and the nikon d40. Both are due to be replaced and because of that they can be got quite cheap. I saw a d40 for 249 sterling in a camera mag, though i'll have to check where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I recently sold a 300D and soon after a 20D both of cameras struggle from severe noise at iso 1600-3200 but if you're aware of this then you can use noise ninja to reduce it.

I'd reccomend the 10D or a 20D if you can stretch as it's got better FPS and the noise handling might be better and it's 2 MP more than the 300D-10D

If you do get a 300D there is a firmware hack which allows you to uprade the camera's firmware to a 10S's which means you have all the functions of the 10D including exteneded iso

<Snip>

Also if the user has done gigs before but found the noise is too high,Chances are he's already got a lens for gigs

@OP I'd consider checking ebay and places for a 20D i sold mine for your budget a while ago and the fps would be quite handy
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-EOS-20D-Digital-8MP-Autofocus-SLR-Camera-Kit_W0QQitemZ250428520059QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item3a4eb3f67b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
    20D for about €330 buy it now inc p&p to ireland

And some more to bid on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

NO horsetrading allowed on forum - anyone who has offers for the OP should do it across adverts. This is specifically precluded in the forum charter.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

I owned a 10D before and if you go above 200 ISO you will start to see noise, if you are photographing gigs then you will have to "Push" the ISO higher.Although it helps set the mood in gig photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bobhutton

I appreciate all the replies you guys have given. To be honest i didn't think my budget could stretch to the 20d or anything like it but on closer inspection it seems at a stretch i could do it. To reply to ricky91t i am using a canon 50mm 1.8f lense which is perfect for what i'm doing and as for noise it really doesn't bother me as steelydan said it really does set the mood for the gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Well if you can stretch to a 20D, why not try a 10 D & additional wide angle lens ?

(see my advert)

iMax wrote: »
    Well if you can stretch to a 20D, why not try a 10 D & additional wide angle lens ?

(see my advert)

You don't have to keep doing this,He's well aware of your advert by now..

Post a link to it in your sig and keep posting on boards and loads of people will see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,974 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I still have a 10D as a spare and while it's a decent camera overall, honestly it's a bit crappy above ISO 800, for normal use anyway. I'd only use the higher ISOs if there was no other choice.
    They're really cheap now anyway and if you don't mind the noise, give it a go.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

personally speaking at that price.. you wont get much better noise control and full af function than the d50, wipes the floor with the d200/d70s noise wise and is cheap as chips now too

Advertisement