Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastbound and Down [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i thinks it comedy gold the best working class sitcom ever danny mcbride is amazing and i love the guy who play stevie schflier i think his name

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

love this show, its a pity there was only a few episodes in the first season, looking forward to the next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent excellent show! Saw a behind the scenes vid on Funny or Die, great to see so much improv and the script thrown out the window.

Really wish Stevie was gonna be in season 2!!!

Stevie (in retarded voice) - "I'm Kenny Powers"
    Kenny - "No your not! You're Stevie!"

Best of Stevie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

KENNY FU*KING POWERS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Really wish Stevie was gonna be in season 2!!!

I heard he would be - him and Kenny being the only 2 characters from the first season who would be in the second... Can't remember where I read that though...

I heard he would be - him and Kenny being the only 2 characters from the first season who would be in the second... Can't remember where I read that though...

AWESOME!!!! I heard Kenny would be the only regular returning. They would be crazy to leave out Stevie tho and I'm sure Will Ferrell will make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

From Wikipedia:
    Production on the second season of the show began in May 2010. The setting will move to Mexico, with principal shooting taking place in Puerto Rico. The new season will bring a number of changes to the cast, including new faces Michael Peña and Ana de la Reguera, who will play the owner of the Mexican baseball team and Kenny's new love interest, respectively. The role of Kenny's father is planned but not yet cast. All of the supporting cast from the first season will be absent or make cameo appearances. The only exception is Steve Little as Stevie Janowski, who tracks Kenny down in Mexico. Ben Best is said to still be in the cast but playing a different character. [5]According to an article in Vice Magazine, the season will be seven episodes long. The article includes a photo of actor Steve Little and Deep Roy, who has apparently joined the cast, in Puerto Rico.[6]

Eastbound and Down will return to HBO for the long awaited second season on September 26, 2010

And this article backs up that info - http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/eastbound-down-heads-to-mexico-for-season-2-adds-new-regulars/

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/07/20/eastbound-down-bored-to-death-return-sept-26-to-hbo/
    HBO announced the return dates for the Danny McBride starrer Eastbound & Down and Bored to Death starring Jason Schwartzman. Both comedies will return for a second season on Sunday, Sept. 26. Bored will bow at 10 p.m., followed by Eastbound. The former features Schwartzman as a struggling 30-something writer living in Brooklyn. McBride plays a washed-up major league pitcher in Down.

brilliant news! i just watched 1st season of bored to death, excellent series, so laid back, easy to watch and funny. roll on september!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

april wont be back so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

'Listen here you beautiful bitch. I'm going to f&ck you up with some truth!'

Can't wait!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

It seems a bit weird that they're dumping all the main cast no? No real continuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Gonna give this a try but based on the 6 minute compilation he seems like David Brent & Tracy Jordan, which could get very annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched the first episode of it last night & found it quite annoying up to the final scenes where he walks through the hallway dressed in black. He's a mix of Will Ferrell (unsurprisingly) Tracy Jordan & David Brent & incredibly annoying.

I'll give it one more episode before I make up my mind, it's taking up a lot of room on my mediaplayer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

iMax wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of it last night & found it quite annoying up to the final scenes where he walks through the hallway dressed in black. He's a mix of Will Ferrell (unsurprisingly) Tracy Jordan & David Brent & incredibly annoying.

Are you sure you're not just trying to convince yourself that this image you conjured up is true? I don't see any similarities with any of these characters whatsoever. OK, he has facial hair and is white and overweight like Brent, but that's about it.

Nah, Thet're like that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gave up on it. Too little payoff for too much investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I watched this a while ago and didn't like it. I'm giving it another go, and I'm finished the 2nd episode. I'm finding it a bit stupid tbh. I'll watch another one or two, but if it doesn't improve I won't bother with it.

I find it all a bit... idk, immature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Personally, I gave up on it too after the episode with Will Ferrell.

I didn't find it particularly funny at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

found the main fella to be to much of an unlikable d******d tbh, gave up on it after two episodes, i didnt even think it got renewed,

lookin at the actor pay grades though this must be a very cheap show for HBO to make, no big names not really much needed set wise, (true blood is probably there biggest show the 2 years and the lead actress is paid 75,000 an episode)

id say if 1 million people worldwide watched this show it would make a profit,

It's pretty unfunny the whole time, but the 5th episode is actually quite good. Not great, but the best of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Looks like Marilyn Manson is a fan!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/266434/marilyn-manson-loses-his-makeup-gains-a-mullet/

Can't wait for the new season. Mexican baseball is about to get a whole lot sexier!

Season 2 Trailer

Kenny Powers had earned our pity by the end of Eastbound & Down's first season. A star in his own mind, and a blatant blowhard, Kenny spent most of his six-episode run offending and grossing us out. (His antics are too crude – and also hilarious -- to enumerate here.)
    And yet, we found ourselves sympathizing with the guy. By the end of his run as a substitute P.E. teacher, the washed-up baseball player had suffered humiliations — most of his own making — that tugged at our admittedly easily tugged-upon heartstrings. In the first season's final moments, he hit a new low, rejected by Tampa and driving off into the sunset alone.
    But when Eastbound & Down returns Sunday at 10:30/9:30c on HBO, Kenny will be reborn. We talked to executive producer and star Danny McBride about relocating Kenny to Mexico, cockfighting, and finding the heart in a total tool.

TVGuide.com: So Kenny's moved down to Mexico. Why Mexico?
    McBride:
    At the beginning of the season, we find Kenny living a whole new life — with cornrows. He's living the life of an outlaw down in Mexico. We feel like Kenny envisions himself as Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven, a gunslinger who's hung up his guns. He put his old life behind him, and yet the old life comes calling to him.
    TVGuide.com: He's also taken up cockfighting.
    McBride:
    Yeah, of course! If Kenny's down in Mexico, he's not just going to be braiding hair or friendship bracelets. He's going to be cockfighting.
    TVGuide.com: Those were pretty gruesome to watch.
    McBride:
    No cocks were hurt in the filming of this show. We actually had someone from the Humane Society there with us through everything. We had this guy Eric, who we referred to as the Cock Whisperer, on the set during all the cockfights. They were all choreographed. He puts a little harness on each of the cocks and fishing line and then he'd get the cocks riled up — but they never actually made contact with each other. You put in fast cuts, and music, and suddenly it seems very violent.
    TVGuide.com: Was the person from the Humane Society laughing with you guys?
    McBride:
    No, I'm pretty sure she didn't want to be there. I think she thought, "I'm condoning this? Are you kidding me?" ... The cock we used throughout, Big Red, had actually been trained. He could pay dead and do tricks. It was really incredible. He was an actor, you know?
    TVGuide.com: Cornrows. Cockfighting. Eventually, he'll get back to baseball, right? How does that happen?
    McBride:
    It's our take on a classic sports story where the guy who is overqualified joins a team of underdogs and tries to turn it around — but of course, it's Kenny Powers, so nothing is going to come out the way it should in that sort of story. It's Kenny just trying to deal with the mistakes he's made in the past and move forward, all under the guise of playing for this Podunk team in Mexico.
    TVGuide.com: Will anyone from Season 1 turn up? His family? April?
    McBride:
    I don't want to ruin anything for you, but you might see a few of those characters pop up. ... As hard as it was to relocate the show — because we loved working with the other characters and we loved writing for them — we forced ourselves to take it out of its comfort zone, go somewhere brand new and invent characters that hopefully would be just as memorable as the ones from Season 1. I think the show's better for it. It takes Kenny to an even darker path.
    TVGuide.com: It's safe to say Eastbound & Down is not a show for everyone. Who do you think is watching? When you're writing, who do you think is enjoying Kenny Powers?
    McBride:
    When we made the first season, we really had no idea if anyone would watch it. We made it for ourselves, and for our friends. It was stuff that we thought was twisted and funny. So we were really shocked when it found a following. The people who have followed it, I have to say, are across the spectrum. Last week, we found out that Marilyn Manson is apparently a fan, and then there's Don Johnson.
    TVGuide.com: From Marilyn Manson to Don Johnson, that's pretty good.
    McBride:
    Yeah. Someone posted pictures of Marilyn dressed up as Kenny Powers. I was a little freaked-out by it at first, but then I dug it. I thought it was cool.
    TVGuide.com: When you write the show, are you and the other writers, Jody Hill and Shawn Harwell, ever worried about going overboard? Making it all potentially too offensive or obnoxious for the audience?
    McBride:
    We wanted to tell a story that gets the audience behind a guy who, for all intents and purposes, is the villain. We wanted to figure out a way to root for someone who is as despicable as he is. That's definitely a tightrope to walk. You don't ever want to make him too soft, and you don't want to ever make him too hard. ... He wants redemption, he wants to be loved. He just has a totally different way about trying to find those things.
    TVGuide.com: You've said that ideally, Eastbound & Down wraps in three seasons. Have you thought about what the last season looks like?
    McBride:
    We have thought about that, but just in the same terms we thought about Season 2, wanting to take Kenny out of the country. We have an idea of how we would wrap it up. But in case no one likes this season, we wanted to make it stand on its own as well. We have a loose plan. If not, this one ends in a way that could kind of be an ending.
    TVGuide.com Has HBO alluded to a renewal yet?
    McBride:
    HBO has been amazing this year. They've given us full creative freedom. They've let us push the envelope a lot, and they've done it with a smile on their face. But we don't know yet.
    TVGuide.com: When you say "push the envelope" past Season 1, where was there left to go?
    McBride:
    It gets much darker than Season 1. Kenny has a long way to fall still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Bump. Season 2 starts tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It was alright.....hope the midget will be back.....and Stevie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

wyndham wrote: »
    Bump. Season 2 starts tonight.

what channel

• Advertisement

jap gt wrote: »
    what channel
    HBO :P

PS: lol @ season 2 poster.

250px-Eastbound%26Down_Season2_Poster.jpg

Advertisement