Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second hand pc refurbished

Options
  • 23-05-2009 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

anyone know of a good online shop?
    i need a pc for cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How cheap is cheap? Give us a budget, and what you need it for. No use getting a cheap PoS 486 that can't run your programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

150 and down.

specs i was thinking of.

160 gig hdd
    2 gig ram
    dual core
    350watt psu
    onboard gpu
    no operating system needed.

It will be used for writting and testing software and learning more about pcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

150 and down.

specs i was thinking of.

160 gig hdd
    2 gig ram
    dual core
    350watt psu
    onboard gpu
    no operating system needed.

It will be used for writting and testing software and learning more about pcs.
    Not for €150. Best thing would be to keep an eye out at http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=8

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

the_syco wrote: »
    Not for €150. Best thing would be to keep an eye out at http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=8

Ding!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=116894&cat=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

polishpaddy, you will see some refurbished desktop pcs on dabs.ie now and then but usually lower spec from what you're requesting and in price range of 200 or more euro.

you could alternatively try to build your own?
    using new parts from komplett, this is just quick pick of between cheap/reasonably priced parts.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz
    MSI K9N6PGM2-V, nForce430+GeForce 6100
    Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB
    Sony DVD-RW
    Antec Three Hundred Black Case
    AXP 500W PSU
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB

the above came to roughly 280 euro, but if you sourced parts from other sites like elara,shop4memory, dabs.. probably could build yourself a good pc for less than 200

of course, doesn't include monitor,keyboard/mouse, but perhaps you could just use some remote desktop software to work on it? thats if its only for testing software.

good to keep eye on adverts.ie too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Martyr wrote:
    the above came to roughly 280 euro, but if you sourced parts from other sites like elara,shop4memory, dabs.. probably could build yourself a good pc for less than 200

That'd come out more expensive once you figure in all those seperate delivery charges... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Kin Mak, no disrespect, but I think the value of that is in its role.. but as a desktop PC, for 300, I find it pricey. The Atom doesn't lend itself well to multiple apps running at the same time. I intend to get one myself at some point, but not the 202.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Amalgam wrote: »
    Kin Mak, no disrespect, but I think the value of that is in its role.. but as a desktop PC, for 300, I find it pricey. The Atom doesn't lend itself well to multiple apps running at the same time. I intend to get one myself at some point, but not the 202.

Did not notice the second spec part myself...

Here is something I thrown together. You can save a tad by getting a cheaper case but unfortunately we don't do anything cheaper.

http://www.elara.ie/members/viewpwishlist.asp?wishid=2455

Kin Mak, I really don't think we'll be able to hit €200 let alone <€150 with a new entry-level build. And that's without a screen :o

Best I got was ~€250 and that was with a single-core Sempron for God's sake. At least the mobo and case were nice...

Had better luck on Dabs, but its still just over €200 inc. p&p and without monitor. At least the CPU is based on C2D...

IMHO if that deal on Adverts falls thru then get in there fast. Really good value with the screen and all. C2D as well, not P4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Did you use the 'Best Value Black 24pin SATA 450w' case/ psu combo for only €22.74? I wouldn't connect my toaster to it TBH :pac:, but I can get an Athlon64X2 based system there for about €202. If the OP is prepared to drop to a single core AMD and 1GB memory could knock another little off. :)

Yeah, but we're talking about a build that costs less than the average toaster lol.gif I wouldn't spec that in any other build, believe me! :p

But with a Celeron C2D, no graphics card, only the one HDD and eff-all cooling what would you expect the 12V requirement to be anyway? ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yeah, but we're talking about a build that costs less than the average toaster lol.gif I wouldn't spec that in any other build, believe me! :p

But with a Celeron C2D, no graphics card, only the one HDD and eff-all cooling what would you expect the 12V requirement to be anyway? ;)

It was in my effort too wasn't being serious :), True though, you would probably have enough left over to make a measurable contribution back to the national grid :pac:.

That reminds me I must pick your brains about something, but that is for another day and another thread.

marco_polo wrote:
    It was in my effort too wasn't being serious :)

I was wondering how you managed to keep things that cheap without it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

marco_polo wrote: »
    Marco i seen the add thanks very much .

Martyr i like what you put together but i have to have it at 150 or below that, I'm broke.......
    the_syco thanks.
    marco_polo do you own a shop or something?

thanks all of you great posts.

Marco i seen the add thanks very much .

Martyr i like what you put together but i have to have it at 150 or below that, I'm broke.......
    the_syco thanks.
    marco_polo do you own a shop or something?

thanks all of you great posts.

No nothing like that, I'm a fully amateur nerd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

Hi guys,

I hope i'm not being too far off the subject of this forum, but i would like a bit of advice.

I have recently aquired a Dell Optiplex gX520 PC from work as we were given laptops. The only thing is that it is tightly restricted for home use. I can only log into the computer itself and it wont allow me to use my own internet at home. My work laptop works fine because it picks up the wireless connection. I was hoping to transform the computer into a more home user friendly machine whereby getting rid of any log-ins and existing admin locks on it.

Can i just simply replace the hard drive with a new one from dell and install windows myself? Is there an easier way to wipe all administrator locks so i can use tools- and internet etc.

Kindest regards",)

I take it the machines are no longer need needed for work? In that case would they not give you the Admin password for the machine (unless they use the same password for all admin users :)), failling that instead of a new HD you could just just wipe the current one

Hi, we had surplus pc's in our office after we were given the laptops, however i had to return the screen and key board to HQ which was annoying. But yes we work under a big network which means that all computers are under what i would presume the same admin restrictions. i think its the same set up as what was in ucd when i was there except we may be more restricted? Webscense blocks most websites.. all my files can be accessed from any computer on the network provided i am logged in on that machine.

You mentioned wipping the machine, i'm not a computer expert but i have tried reststarting and waiting for the command like f1 or f2 etc on the start up page to bring me to reboot but it goes straight to windows without any transition from start-up to logging in!?.

what is the best way to wipe it if you think it is possible?. I'm not sure the I.t dept will be too willing to do it for me because there would be hassle of getting the computer to them and back etc as they are located more than 120km away in carlow! and i'm in cavan.

The machine may have Fast Boot/ Speed POST enabled, so it moves straight on to loading the OS quite fast. Try removing the little CMOS coin battery and replacing after ~30 seconds to reset the BIOS settings in the CMOS. Then try repeatedly tapping Delete as soon as the machine is switched on. Or F1/F2, if that machine's BIOS uses one of those instead. That'll get you into the BIOS, where you can change the Primary Boot Device to DVD, then pop in an OS disc and begin reinstalling your OS :)

• Advertisement

Hi Solitaire,

Thanks for your reply. ;). When you say the OS cd, I have heard about a HIRENS BOOT CD that can be downloaded onto a CD and used to alter the Bios?. I tried this the other night and it will download fine but i think i need the activate it by means of payment once i try to open it? Anyways, i will give it a go now in work during lunch and see what happens:o

Thanks again

ok i have tried taking out the coin battery and the other things. I still seem very restricted. the only thing i can get into is system set-up and most things are showing up as grey so they are locked. It also looks unlikely that i will be able to get the admin password to unlock these things.

When i get into boot menu also there is onboard SATA hard drive
    onboard or usb cd-rom drive
    onboard usb floppy drive

system set-up
    boot to drive diagnostics
    hard drive diagnostics

by going into system set-up i cant do anything without admin password so thats not a runner!. everything is "set" or "locked"!

polevault wrote:
    When you say the OS cd, I have heard about a HIRENS BOOT CD that can be downloaded onto a CD and used to alter the Bios?

No, I meant the disc with your Operating System (e.g. Windows) on. If you're trying to convert an old work PC into your own basic personal system you'll need to wipe the stuff already on the hard disk and then begin to install your own programs, starting with the operating system (cos you can't do much with a PC that doesn't have one ;)). The problem is that the BIOS is normally instructed to start your computer by loading the OS from whatever drive (usually the hard drive the PC calls "C") its usually on. You can't load the OS if its been wiped though :p You have to tell the BIOS to load from the DVD drive first and hard drive second so it can "see" the OS installer on the inserted DVD. Only then will you be able to start reinstalling the OS.

ANYWAY that's for later. Cracking the BIOS is your first problem :P The Optiplex is a business PC and thus has a modified BIOS password system which is stored in its own flash memory, not the CMOS. You need to hunt around on the motherbaord for the PSWD jumper (there's a diagram on this page but its incredibly vague!) and remove it. That might get you working. Then just insert your OS DVD and tap F12 until you see the boot prompt. Boot from the DVD drive (probably "D") and use it to format and reinstall the OS.

But if you need to get data off the PC first... well, without the passwords you're a bit ****ed :(

Advertisement