Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dog.

Options
  • 23-05-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I'd just like a small bit of advice before buying a dog for my Dads partner.
    Since she's retired and her bday is coming up (and I finally got my Dad to agree) were giving her her wish of getting a dog.

She's between a cocker spaniel and a husky.

The things to consider are;
    It will have to be an outdoor dog.
    We do have a big garden (1/2 acre) for a dog to play about it.
    We live in the country side so lovely walks for the dog.

I suppose my question would be which would be the best dog to get for her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

A spaniel if she's not used to dogs , huskys are lovely lads but have all those wild habits( that they should have ! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Why would it have to be an outdoor dog..?

randomish photos : the sleepy upside lad in the pup1.jpg is the lad in pup2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

A spaniel if she's not used to dogs , huskys are lovely lads but have all those wild habits( that they should have ! )
    She's had a lot of dogs in the past but none in the last 10 years.
    That's what I'm afraid of with a husky incase he/she might go chasing livestock. (were surrounded by farms!) And have had the problem years ago when we were kids where we had to get a dog rehomed after he chased sheep :(
    Why would it have to be an outdoor dog..?
    That's the compromise that had to be made with my dad. He doesn't like pets in the home. As a puppy it would be indoors obviously but when the dog gets bigger it will have a kennel outside.

photos : the sleepy upside lad in the pic grew quickly into pup2.jpg

He is just gorgeous. If i'm honest the husky is my favourite dog. I'm hoping to get one next year when I move to my new home. :)
    The size doesn't particularly bother me as in the countryside we have the space. (and when we go walking he can walk me :P)

Can I just ask what the nature of huskys/cockers are? I suppose one of my biggest concerns is I have a niece and nephew (6weeks and 6months). So they might be around the dog a bit as they are growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Go for a well bred cocker, insist on seeing both parents though. Temperment is everything in cockers & unfortunatley theres some very poor ones about. The solid coloured dogs seem to have more issues than say a blue roan so again Id suggest getting a parti coloured dog.

My family have bred, worked & kept cockers for 4 generations & they're really a great dog but you have to be so careful where you get them from. Its a breed thats almost been ruined by unscrupulous breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

A husky would need an incredible amount of excercise ... because you said that the new owner is retired, are they up to that? It would probably need 2+ hours a day ...

Go for a well bred cocker, insist on seeing both parents though. Temperment is everything in cockers & unfortunatley theres some very poor ones about. The solid coloured dogs seem to have more issues than say a blue roan so again Id suggest getting a parti coloured dog.

Thanks for the advice:) i appreciate it. I am having a little trouble finding breeders in my area though there doesn't seem to be too many.
    A husky would need an incredible amount of excercise ... because you said that the new owner is retired, are they up to that? It would probably need 2+ hours a day ...
    Sorry I shoud have stated she's on early retirement so very early 50's and well able to walk.:) Also we are quite active ourselves anyway we usually get out every evening for a 3-4 mile walk so it wouldn't be too big of an adjustment for her to get out with the dog earlier in the day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi,
    What a lovely idea, if she's retired she'll have a great companion.
    I would also go for the cocker, had a blue roan as kids, got him 2 weeks before my youngest brother was born:eek:
    He grew up with 4 small kids and was amazing, they are so friendly and if well bred placid. Also though they are a bit hyper for first year or 2 they do calm down, and as i'm assuming this lady is 50+(being retired), i think it would be better choice.
    Much as i love the Husky they are very strong and need a lot of walking and thinking in the long term, may get too much to handle.
    Either way I'm sure she'll be delighted.
    Best of luck.

just seen above post, where are you based?

i'm kind of leaning for the cocker myself esp with kids in the future. (though I absolutely adore huskys but I think I'll get one myself in the future for my own home :) ) And they seem big enough to be kept outside when fully grown.

i'm based in Cork but I don't mind travelling to see/pick up a puppy as long as it's not more than 2-2 1/2 hours away.

Oh I should have mentioned that if it's a cocker spaniel she wants a golden cocker spaniel.(fussy lady!!!)

• Advertisement

jen_23 wrote: »
    Sorry I shoud have stated she's on early retirement so very early 50's and well able to walk.:) Also we are quite active ourselves anyway we usually get out every evening for a 3-4 mile walk so it wouldn't be too big of an adjustment for her to get out with the dog earlier in the day as well.

They'll do about 50km a day no problem ( pulling a sled) , very fit ones can do 160km a day

( not trying to put you off at all , just the idea of their version of exercise vs ours. )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try IKC website club contacts list, there's one for Cork district canine club, and I'm sure you'll find one for cockers.
    Give them a call and explain you're looking for a pet with god temperament, and they'll probably know someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Perhaps a rescue would be a good option? If the dog is just to be a companion, then there will be PLENTY of choice?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Personally you have to be careful with golden cockers, yes i know people will say it depends on how the dog is brought up, but golden cockers are well know for being aggressive and unpredictable. I know some people have them who post here and they will say oh no my baby is beautiful, but out of all the dogs i see day in and day out, next to westies, golden cockers are the most unpredictable.

And all i will say, especially living in the country make sure you give her a present of a years pet insurance also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

WOW Golden Cockers are prone to aggression. I'll be honest, that something I've never heard about. Anybody else out there that's had them. It would be interesting for feed back. I would of said a golden cocker thumbs up. Definitely not a Siberian husky though. White Samoyeds are nice, excellent temperaments and can live outside. As are japanese spitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

cloudy day wrote: »
    WOW Golden Cockers are prone to aggression. I'll be honest, that something I've never heard about. Anybody else out there that's had them. It would be interesting for feed back. I would of said a golden cocker thumbs up. Definitely not a Siberian husky though. White Samoyeds are nice, excellent temperaments and can live outside. As are japanese spitz

Yeah, unfortunately there is something called Cocker Rage, which seems to affect goldens more than the others.

Jules wrote: »
    Personally you have to be careful with golden cockers, yes i know people will say it depends on how the dog is brought up, but golden cockers are well know for being aggressive and unpredictable. I know some people have them who post here and they will say oh no my baby is beautiful, but out of all the dogs i see day in and day out, next to westies, golden cockers are the most unpredictable.

And all i will say, especially living in the country make sure you give her a present of a years pet insurance also!

Thanks for the advice! I would never in a million years have thought that breed to be aggressive. And I absolutely agree about the pet insurance. Thank you :)
    Definitely not a Siberian husky though. White Samoyeds are nice, excellent temperaments and can live outside. As are japanese spitz
    As much as I would love a siberian for myself someday.. (my little dream :) ) It was the white samoyed that I was thinking of for her.

They don't seem to be as big (is this right?) And as you said a nice temperment so should be behaved around kids.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

A little bit about the Sammy...
    http://www.irishdogs.ie/breeds/Samoyed.htm

And more about their temperament.....

Samoyeds are gentle dogs. Peaceable and dignified. Very devoted, they tend to favor one person, but love everyone. They are easy-going, friendly and quite playful. It will gladly be friendly to all, including intruders. They are too friendly to be of much use as a watchdog, although its bark will alert you to the presence of strangers. It willingly adapts to family life and gets along well with children. They are highly intelligent, and will respond to firm, patient training, which should be started at an early age. Make sure you are this dogs firm, confident, consistent pack leader to avoid potential behavior issues such as, but not limited to, obsessive barking. The Sammy is accustomed to working in teams, and shows outstanding qualities. When this dog is given what he needs to be a stable minded dog, i.e. enough mental and physical exercise, along with clear leadership, it proves itself to be outstanding, good-natured, lively, and sociable. It never seeks trouble but can handle an adversary if necessary. They have a reputation of being chewers. If the Sammy is lacking in leadership and or exercise they become very destructive if left alone for many hours at a stretch. Samoyed's should not be trusted with small non-canine pets, however there are plenty of them that live and get along with family cats.

The Irish Samoyed Dog Club: (this lists Sammy breeders as well...)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~sammyclub/

As much as I would love a siberian for myself someday.. (my little dream :) ) It was the white samoyed that I was thinking of for her.

They don't seem to be as big (is this right?) And as you said a nice temperment so should be behaved around kids.

Had a Pyrenees Mastiff ( rescue ! ) ,could keep a small group of kids amused and together for ages. They love kids , kittens , small things and guard what they're minding like no other.

1136917252pyreneesmastiff_09.jpg

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all the replies. I think I have pretty much decided on the samoyed (when I say I have............. I showed her a pic of samoyed puppies for sale near where I live and she decided she wants one:) )

And thanks for the kind advice on adopting the rescues however it has to be a registered dog as my dads partner is most likely going to enter the dog into shows.
    (also needs to be a puppy to get him used to our cat cindy - which I think should be easier in principle the smaller the dog .. I hope!! :D)

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

WOW Golden Cockers are prone to aggression. I'll be honest, that something I've never heard about. Anybody else out there that's had them. It would be interesting for feed back. I would of said a golden cocker thumbs up.

Yup, I'd be very, very careful about getting a golden cocker. For the most part they are hugely inbred as they aren't very common. This can cause a variety of problems of which rage is one.

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all the replies. I think I have pretty much decided on the samoyed (when I say I have............. I showed her a pic of samoyed puppies for sale near where I live and she decided she wants one:) )

And thanks for the kind advice on adopting the rescues however it has to be a registered dog as my dads partner is most likely going to enter the dog into shows.
    (also needs to be a puppy to get him used to our cat cindy - which I think should be easier in principle the smaller the dog .. I hope!! :D)

Thanks again :)

Good choice.

they are smaller than sibes but not much. Be careful where you buy from as like with other popular dogs, they were being bred by the wrong people, as there are a lot that are very small.

Bitch is pref to a dog in my opinion for family pet. They can be a bit shy and quirky when they are young so lots of handling is recommended. They have lovely sweet natures. Shed their coat twice a year which is messy.
    Don't think an adult bitch would be a problem with cat though, they don't have aggressive tendencies as a rule and pretty much just fit in to things.

Bushy is that your dog cos OMG he is gorgeous

Bushy is that your dog cos OMG he is gorgeous

No , was grey instead of brown , still lovely though - except for strong instinct to dig huge holes to lie down in when the weather was stormy.
    Had all the great mastiff traits , not aggressive , loved kids , guard whatever they're minding - were used to herd animals by day , keep away wolves and bears at night.

Advertisement