Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying an OEM OS

Options
  • 23-05-2009 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

is it normal for websites to require you to buy a piece of hardware along with an OEM OS, i recently ordered windows xp for my new pc and i got an email yesterday saying i need to order a piece of hardware or they cant send it out to me, im slightly annoyed as ive been putting the pc together for the better part of 10 months(i was buying parts here and there) and i was looking forward to finally getting it up and running. if they dont send it out ill have to go to another website and try to order there but i wanted to support an irish company

p.s. i opted for XP as it was cheapest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

gino85 wrote: »
    is it normal for websites to require you to buy a piece of hardware along with an OEM OS, i recently ordered windows xp for my new pc and i got an email yesterday saying i need to order a piece of hardware or they cant send it out to me, im slightly annoyed as ive been putting the pc together for the better part of 10 months(i was buying parts here and there) and i was looking forward to finally getting it up and running. if they dont send it out ill have to go to another website and try to order there but i wanted to support an irish company

p.s. i opted for XP as it was cheapest

Yes: oem os should in theory be bought with some hardware.
    Why not order a cheap usb stick with winxp...... (or a harddrive for backups)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That's the way they can sell an oem os to personal customers direct - hardware can be a mouse, usb key etc

There will be someone along soon to say that using that loophole is illegal/immoral etc etc etc but sav esome bucks and add the cheapest bit of 'hardware' you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

ah right ill do that once the website comes back online lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There's absolutely no need anymore to purchase hardware of any description in order to purchase an OEM OS.

Look at any of these on Komplett, no restrictions whatsoever.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you read the licenses agreement OEM software can ONLY be sold with either a new System {Laptop, Desktop or Server} or with a Hard Drive.

If the reseller sells it without either MS could pull there resell license and stop trading with them.
    gambiaman wrote: »
    That's the way they can sell an oem os to personal customers direct - hardware can be a mouse, usb key etc

There will be someone along soon to say that using that loophole is illegal/immoral etc etc etc but sav esome bucks and add the cheapest bit of 'hardware' you can
    There's absolutely no need anymore to purchase hardware of any description in order to purchase an OEM OS.

Look at any of these on Komplett, no restrictions whatsoever.

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    If the reseller sells it without either MS could pull there resell license and stop trading with them.

Could, but won't.

That kind of scaremongering is well and truly played out. :p

None of the big players pay a blind bit of attention to it any more. (including MS) :D

You can purchase it too, we won't tell anybody ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HDD? I thought any major internal component (mobo, RAM, CPU, maybe graphics) counted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I've always bought OEM versions and never had to buy any hardware with it. The only thing is when you want support from microsoft you have to tell them you don't have the dvd/cd. Still they won't give you the full support, but who cares?

Advertisement