Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting an old bike for learning -short term

• 23-05-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'v searched around and could find nothing like this question and I'm curious to know can it be done cheaply.

Anybody know if you can rent a geared 125 for a period of a month from some dealership for learning?

I cant afford to buy a bike as I'm not sure where I am going to be country wise come this christmas. So I was wondering does anybody know anywhere that might do a deal on a rent for a month to a learner? I had a look at rental companies and see that they charge 70 yoyos+ a day and would not really be an option. I have been on the scooter for 5 years now and have a full a1 (automatic gears) and a provisional A. I'v been in contact with bikecraft and they have a 250 I can use for the test itself but I need to get experience with gears.

Any recession proof suggestions? Or should I go chance my arm with 2nd hand sellers and see if they will rent.

-Edit-
    Also thank you for any suggestions you might have

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Burklert wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'v searched around and could find nothing like this question and I'm curious to know can it be done cheaply.

Anybody know if you can rent a geared 125 for a period of a month from some dealership for learning?

I cant afford to buy a bike as I'm not sure where I am going to be country wise come this christmas. So I was wondering does anybody know anywhere that might do a deal on a rent for a month to a learner? I had a look at rental companies and see that they charge 70 yoyos+ a day and would not really be an option. I have been on the scooter for 5 years now and have a full a1 (automatic gears) and a provisional A. I'v been in contact with bikecraft and they have a 250 I can use for the test itself but I need to get experience with gears.

Any recession proof suggestions? Or should I go chance my arm with 2nd hand sellers and see if they will rent.

-Edit-
    Also thank you for any suggestions you might have

Any of the rental places all have very high rates - they're not aimed at beginners learning at all, they're for tourists who want to bike around for a week or two.

Have you considered buying something cheap? For example here http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=1254369 there's a Suzuki GN250 for sale for €480, taxed as well, learner legal.

Bear in mind not every 250cc bike will do - you need something that's under 33Bhp (you probably already know that, but just to be aware of it). I'd suggest taking the test on the bike you've practised on as well, rather than just getting on a new bike for the first time to take the test that day.

Best of luck with finding something.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I can see insurance being a problem for you as well, unless youve sussed a way of doing that short term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If your already used to riding, why not just get some lessons off an instructor who rents bikes? They can take people from never haven't rode a motorcycle to advanced.

A few lessons and pretest+bike for test would cost a lot less then trying to get insurance, as you'd have to get a years insurance and then cancel minus admin fees, and buying a bike(as I doubt anywhere will rent to a learner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Firstly thank you Mikec on that advise and bike spotting. I'm going to take a look at the bike as while she may soon turn into a classic, she is more or less just what i need.

I have a level 3 aon/quinn cert (couldnt get 2 as it was my first time using gears). So I hope my insurance wont be heavy, I'm only going to look for 3rd party as I have no plans to do much other than town runs and practise. At the moment a year of insurance on the gn that mike suggested is 275ish (rough online quote). Short term is what I need to look into.

Advertisement