Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work reviews - should you receive a copy

Options
  • 23-05-2009 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I heard someone say a while back that the employee is entitled to a copy of any annual review completed at work. I've been with current employer for going on 7 years and have only had 3 reviews. However, I was never offered a copy of any of these.

Is the company obliged to provide me with same?
    Must I request it or are they under an obligation to provide a copy at the time of the review?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

good practise says that you should get a copy so you can keep an eye on your targets and goals etc.

a record must be kept on file for the purpose of good record keeping in case anything comes back to haunt either party.

however seeing as your there 7 years and had only 3 reviews i dont rate your employers HR track at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

@Gerry: So thats just 'good practice'. Can I take it they are under no legal impediment to do so?

I don't have any current issues -but like you say, something could come back to haunt either party (you never know!) - and all 3 reviews are very positive.
    Would people be inclined to request them in this instance? Even if they're obliged to provide them, at the same time, I'm not sure how comfy I am in requesting them as in the employers eyes, maybe I would be perceived as potential trouble.

Was thinking I could say I wanted them for mortgage insurance policy..not sure how believable that would be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if it ever came to it and you claimed that they said something or another its up to them to prove that they didnt say it by way of proper signed and co signed records.

as far as Im aware and I always open to correction there is no legal obligation for you to personally get a copy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In our place you do a review every six months.
    And you have to sign each one off. So if you disagree with something you can refuse to sign and then get a new review.
    Though this is only used on an exceptional basis!

Well under the Data Protection Act you're certainly entitled to see what files they hold on you
    So ask them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

if it ever came to it and you claimed that they said something or another its up to them to prove that they didnt say it by way of proper signed and co signed records.
    My concern would be that in the case of good reviews (and each and every one of them is, BTW), they would claim to have 'lost' them. If it came down to conflict that had to be resolved externally, I would much prefer to actually have them rather than there to be any doubt hanging over their validity.
    as far as Im aware and I always open to correction there is no legal obligation for you to personally get a copy
    Well, if thats the case, its flawed. There should be a statutory obligation here.
    mikemac wrote:
    In our place you do a review every six months. And you have to sign each one off. So if you disagree with something you can refuse to sign and then get a new review.
    Yes, I have had to sign off on them too - and only did so as I was happy with the content.
    mikemac wrote:
    Well under the Data Protection Act you're certainly entitled to see what files they hold on you
    So ask them
    I know if there was any conflict they would claim to have 'misplaced' them.
    I don't have any issues right now - but the nature of this employer and its workings leads me to believe that its not outside the realms of possibility that there might be in the future. I just like to be prepared for all eventualities!

• Advertisement
Advertisement